How many watts is used by dsl modem + router?

i want to use ups for ptcl dsl modem and linksys 160n router . but first i want to know about the consumption .

i think they both uses 12v ,1A adopters . if this is true then how many watts is needed ?

some body was telling me that i will use 30watts each but he said router and dsl model will restart on ups .is that true ?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

i want to use ups for ptcl dsl modem and linksys 160n router . but first i want to know about the consumption .

i think they both uses 12v ,1A adopters . if this is true then how many watts is needed ?

some body was telling me that i will use 30watts each but he said router and dsl model will restart on ups .is that true ?

[/quote]

My linksys router’s adapter consumes 9 w. The zte modem power consumption should be around 9 w too.

What is the problem with modem and router restarting? you will lose only 30 sec

My linksys router’s adapter consumes 9 w. The zte modem power consumption should be around 9 w too.

What is the problem with modem and router restarting? you will lose only 30 sec

[/quote]

well if u r watching a streaming video or download (sites that dunt support DM) …

and also on ups u get 240 volts most of the time so it can damage ur adopters as well …

how about giving DC direct to models ??? i mean using bike battery with a charger ??? any body has experimented ?

P=VI and so Ptcl's shiro is P=9 X 0.5 =4.5 LDN's azthech 9 X 1 =9. So this is how it works.

well if u r watching a streaming video or download (sites that dunt support DM) …

and also on ups u get 240 volts most of the time so it can damage ur adopters as well …

how about giving DC direct to models ??? i mean using bike battery with a charger ??? any body has experimented ?

[/quote]

I think these could help http://www.instructables.com/id/SPREE_Solar_Photovoltaic_Renewable_Electron_/ , http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-solar-iPodiPhone-charger-aka-Might/ , and http://www.instructables.com/id/Solar-Generator/ . Last one is the best solution for this kind of a application. After all We have KESC and company in here.

Hello I don't use ptcl but I just bought a router and intend to keep it running 24/7 for use with my internet connection. So I too am wondering how much electricity it will use. The router uses a ac to dc adapter which has this info written on it:

type 8a

input: ac 230v~50hz only

output: dc 6v

600ma

The adapter seems to be for a different product but it works nevertheless. The router has this info on it:

input: dc 5v/1a

So how can I calculate the hourly electricity usage in watts using the above info?

ALthough a bit off topic but if one could explain this phenomena.

I am using a UPS and some time back when I had DSL (both LDN and PTCL) the internet service was OK when the lite goes off.

But now I am using the dialup and when the lite goes off, on UPS the internet is not disconnected but no buffering or no activity. When he lite comes after either an hour or five minutes, the same connected internet will start every activity.

Moreover if I try to disconnect the dialup and dial again, it will not get connect.

What is this? Is this due to my UPs or exchange?

I asked the 1218 but every time they give some new answer.

Hello I don’t use ptcl but I just bought a router and intend to keep it running 24/7 for use with my internet connection. So I too am wondering how much electricity it will use. The router uses a ac to dc adapter which has this info written on it:

type 8a

input: ac 230v~50hz only

output: dc 6v

600ma

The adapter seems to be for a different product but it works nevertheless. The router has this info on it:

input: dc 5v/1a

So how can I calculate the hourly electricity usage in watts using the above info?

[/quote]

Power usage is calculated on Input and efficiency is calculated by Input/ouput X 100. Read the input current from adapter and multiply it by 230 this will your Rms Power or input power, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_mean_square. Your output power is P=VI this is equal to P= 6 X 0.6 = 3.6. Nevertheless read the current from router itself.

Power usage is calculated on Input and efficiency is calculated by Input/ouput X 100. Read the input current from adapter and multiply it by 230 this will your Rms Power or input power, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_mean_square. Your output power is P=VI this is equal to P= 6 X 0.6 = 3.6. Nevertheless read the current from router itself.

[/quote]

How do I read the input current?

Anyway what is the typical power usage of this sort of adapter. I mean if the router is only using 3.6watts then the adapter can’t be using much more right? Computer power supply units for example have at least 60% efficiency so if this adapter is the same I guess its using around 6 watts.

See the back/lower side of your router opposite to this one shown here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ADSLmodemWestell6100.jpg it can seen here http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/Router_fonera2.JPG

guys i have decided that i will use existing home ups for router & dsl modem but i will use stablizer in between them :)

now can any one tell me from where i can find 300 watts stablizer ?? it should work with 160 v-240v voltage and also control restarting problem :)

what if i consult local electrician ?? please suggest me

I want to connect my DSL modem huawei MT-880 to my computer ups (APC smart ups-700). The DSL modem is using power by means of power adaptor (three pin) .How I connect the power adaptor to ups as the UPS only have 6 output socket of type "IEC 320 C13". Is there any crossover lead available for this purpose.

Regards

Saad

Hello,

Please tell me that how much the PTCL new wireless DSL modem will add to my monthly electricity bill. I am switching it on 24 hours/day?

I am doing this for more than a year without any damage...

about restarting, yes sometimes you have to restart the modem when the electricity goes ..

P(power) = V(volts) x I (Current)

12W = 12V x 1 A

but this 12 W is the limit...if you have a precise clamp meter u can test it....i guess its not more that 8-9 watts!

Hello,

Please tell me that how much the PTCL new wireless DSL modem will add to my monthly electricity bill. I am switching it on 24 hours/day?

[/quote]

12W hour…mmmm not more than 50rs :P

i am using ptcl's zxdsl 831 modem and linksys wrt54g2 wireless router. both are on desi home ups as with the rest of home lights. and in last few months there have been load shedding of 6 hrs daily. but downloads are not interrupted during change over as modem never restarted.

yes there is a little buzzz noise from both the ac to dc adapters while on ups(audible only by placing ears close to them, no such noise on normal electricity) , which means these may get damage in the long run. but no problems yet after 4 months of nonstop usage.

Ok dear, here is what happens... I am using an Inverter to power up my DSL router TENDA W150D (PTCL) and it has the same power rating as you have mentioned but u r missing one thing that the adapter ac rating is .300 ampere.

If you have a UPS that is 80% efficient, then you need 6 AMP of battery to power your router for 1 hour from the inverter

output voltage : 220 VAC

output amperes : .300 ampere AC (300 miliampere)

battery amps needed to power up .300 amperes ac for one 1 hour from an 80% efficient UPS or inverter : 6 AH

so if you have a fully charged 20 AH battery to power up your UPS, then it will be enough for about 200 minutes to keep it on

KUDOS,

Ajab khan

[quote=“zshan000, post:11, topic:5874”]

guys i have decided that i will use existing home ups for router & dsl modem but i will use stablizer in between them :)

now can any one tell me from where i can find 300 watts stablizer ?? it should work with 160 v-240v voltage and also control restarting problem :)

what if i consult local electrician ?? please suggest me

[/quote]

Goddness Brother, you dont need a stabilizer here!!! if you use a stabilizer it will just grab all your power from the ups and it might not even work.

Have you looked carefully at your router Power supply ever? read its AC Rating which says 100-240 volts which means it an Active PFC power supply which further narrows down that it will adapt the voltage and give that precise voltage of 9v 1A till the voltags is dropped practically to 70 VAC. so you dont need a stabilizer. the power supply itself is a stabilizer. watch your router power supply and then step forward if it isn't 100-240, then u can do whatever u want....

Good luck and Kudos

You all just by a 12v ups which runs your wifi for 7-8 hours without.electricity, you can check ot on my page also Crown Electronics we have a wide range of capacity tested and arranged in a very good sequence of cells with a BMS attached.
Just you have to plug it in to your router and you are ready to go!