How many solar panells we can attach with 3kvhybrid inverter

i m planning to buy axpert 3kv solar hybrid inverter with 1000 watt solar panells .

i contact 2 persons in lahore who sale these inverters.

as u know these inverters arewith 50 amp builtin charge controler.

my plan is to add another 1000 watt panells after fiew months.

but both persons are saying that only 600 watt solar panells can be attached with 3kv inverter,

and if i add more then i have to use a seperate cc for this purpose.

now i m really confuse about all this situation.

because i saw some system installed in our city with 3kv inverter but panells were around 2000 watts.

expert opinion needed specially from farhan and ijaz bhai.

In simplest layman terms..

"Bakwas kerte hain woh"

you can attach upto 1 billion watts of solar panels...

granted you can only use as much power as the CC can manage, as in your case, as you said, 50 amps, so 50x48= 2400W panels can be connected with full power utilization, which is impossible since you can rarely get 0.99 PF, so you would practically need atleast around 2800-3000W panels to get full 2400W out of the CC....

in all cases, you are safe with 2000W panels.

i would however recommend against the Axpert inverters in PK.. they are not good at all.. you can save upto 15-20 k on them but you will suffer with them latter on when you plan to expand power..

thanks farhan bhai..i m relax now after ur comments.

ur recomendation about axpert inverter is good but infiny series 3kv inverter price is 130000.

which is out of my budget..its my first step towards a big solar system.so hopefully in future

i will be able to invest in a better series of inverter.

and also plz recomend which size of panells and company i should choose.?

my plan is very simple...from morning to evening 2 to 3 fans...and one *eentoon wala cooler*

which consume about 200 watts....and water pump for fiew minuts to take a shower.

no worry about night as we pandoo log raat ko openair mein easily so latay hain.

how much panell u advice for my setup.?

btw ur pm box is full...plz empty it.

very sorry about that...i get so many PM every day all the time, forget to delete..

now its empty.

sorry again though..

Do you have a UPS at home already? do you have any batteries with them? how old are your batteries?. brand, power?

i have old inverex 1kv ups but i received hybrid inverter last night.

so i will sale old one..i have 2 volta batteries of 150amp..one is 6 month used and other is one year used.

but i want to attach 2 new dry batteries.i m waiting for sun sacred new shipment as u told me.

but i m not clear yet with panell size and company.

panel size doesnot matter.. price is per watt.. so 190 or 240W doesnot matter.. it is easier to install 190W as they are mono and power is sufficient and efficiency of 190W Shaghai solar panels is quite good.

Company doesnot matter as long it is a decent company.. all have same warranty, same specs , same output.. just branding.. problem is between mistakenly buying Poly instead of mono panels..Mono is better.

Shanghai solar, Yingli and Canadian Solar are almost equal.. no difference.. we directly import shaghai solar.. we used to import Yingli also.. backup claim was a problem for us then, so we have Hiroller and shaghia solar now.

you should get maximum panels now, and higher capacity battery latter.. spend more one time than small amount many many times..

PS: PM is now working..

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:6, topic:20965”]

panel size doesnot matter..

[/quote]

another question brother...instead of 200 watt single can we install 3 panells of 60 watts?what is disadvantage of jointing small panells?

loss of current or anything else?

Disadvantages:

Lots of roof space required..

lots more wiring required(very expensive and danger of shock)

more frames required

Compareable energy loss due to multiple panles

more sun surface area needs to be exposed avoiding shadows

Slightly more expensive panel prices in long term.

Connecting in series or parallel becomes a headache.

etc

etc.

Most of these are installation issues.. if you can live with them then you can also get the benefit of cheaper replacement or repair of a faulty smaller panel instead of one costly panel.

now my panells arrived...1200 watt with 6 panells of 200 watts each...they are mono with 24 v

my first question is which cable should i use between solar and inverter?

u say 35mm in ur post but i cant understand technical words so much.

in simple words i should use wire which we normally use between ups and battery?

can u plz upload pics of that cable?

for safer side use 6mm cable from panel to inverter.

That 35mm cable is for high current wiring like battery to inverter.

[quote=“taree, post:9, topic:20965”]

now my panells arrived...1200 watt with 6 panells of 200 watts each...they are mono with 24 v

my first question is which cable should i use between solar and inverter?

u say 35mm in ur post but i cant understand technical words so much.

in simple words i should use wire which we normally use between ups and battery?

can u plz upload pics of that cable?

[/quote]

solar installation is a very tricky business.. if you are trying to do it yourself.. DONT, unless you are highly knowledgeable and skilled in electricity.. even one of our skilled men got a 380 Volt DC shock once, and he was barely saved. it is very risky.. lots of sparks and patakhaas can occur if you are not careful and you can burn your equipment , all of it easily in 2-3 secs.

the cable meant for solar connections is not the standard cable that you see in local shops.. its a specialized cable meant for UPS and solar installation only.. since you have 1200W now and probably would add more panels in future nearing 2000w, you would be very wise to spend a lot now on wiring.. wiring is the most critical component of the whole solar system, which can totally make it shine or fail it bad.

my own house wiring and connections cost me 35k, and that was only one floor from roof to top floor,.. if it was ground floor it would have cost me 20k more..there are almost 100s of things needed to be bought for installation..

now i have a system capable of supporting upto 80 amps of current, which is around 4000W roughly.. which can run a 2 ton ac along with fridge and freezer and whole house.. i am on the safe side now.. so wiring will not be a problem for me.. if i use cheap wiring now, wire will last me max 2-3 years and will have re-do all the wiring either it burns out or is insufficient for my needs.

the Actual Wire.

as for the choice of wires.. the wires for DC are very very limited.. you can either order a roll of wire from pakistan cable (locally high rated company) which is 90 meter of a single color and is sold in a roll only priced almost 40k direct from company. rateil price is much higher. and practically we need 2 color wires, red and black, so you have to buy 2 rolls and all the rest of the wire will be wasted..we have a personal contract with a company which gives us half roll wires of 2 colors, so that is safer, and less costly due to less wastage.. if you are willing to spend more, then best quality cable is the imported cable wich is true flexible, fire proof, burn proof and truly capable of high loads..this wire is available in cut pieces so you only buy as much as u need..this is actually a lot cheaper and much higher quality, cz even though its price per foot is high, much less wastage and being able to buy only as much as you need will ensure that instead of buying 2 rolls of pakistan cable for 90k, you can get as much as u need for around 25-30k, maybe a lot less if your batteries are nearby..

you can always buy more panels, or new batteries but you canot do wiring every day..

also its not just a matter of connecting clamps and wires.. the true clean quality installation is all copper connectors for short free super tight connections which can be re-assembled with ease any time you want.. not with the traditional battery terminals and screws. if there is one short loose end, it will burn your controller or battery and also damage panels.

we do all installations ourselves, not leave it to workers.. we do it all by our own hand to ensure each and every thing is secure fit and no issues..we dont do tape wiring or joint connectors..we only work with a team of proper electricians who know their AC from DC and welders who design the panels frame so that they donot blow away in wind or fall prey to shadows... and even then it takes almost a full day to do simple installations..thats why we dont get calls back from people for complaints..

once again, i would advise you not to do it yourself.. bear the cost of quality installation one time and be tension free for a long long time.. get proper installations done from someone who knows their stuff..it is a very costly investment, donot jeopardise it with saving a few thousand now..once a good installation is done, all you need is just attach panels and you are good to go. barely takes 10-15 min to ad 4 panels to existing system from then on;.

very true and informative but i live in a village near mianwali

and not much of support about solar is available here...

did ur company provides services for area like mine?

[quote=“tufail_74, post:10, topic:20965”]

for safer side use 6mm cable from panel to inverter.

That 35mm cable is for high current wiring like battery to inverter.

[/quote]

brother can u upload pics of 6mm cable which u r using in ur system?

yaar posting pic may be difficult as i am far away from my system but this is standard 6mm square flexible cable. it is easily available in lahore market. i got from nizam energy the FR cable and got HITACHI cable from someone in Brandreth road.

but remember , as farhan mentioned in detail, you can do it but if you yourself know the setup and the cabling. this is high energy system and if the cabling is not done in a proper way, can lead to disaster.

This is not a rocket science but anyone doing it should have a background of electrical wiring and other stuff.

Here is my setup pictures.

http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/tufail_74/library/My%20Solar%20Power%20Setup

you can see the cables in the Charge controller picture and also in the inverter picture.

[quote=“taree, post:12, topic:20965”]

very true and informative but i live in a village near mianwali

and not much of support about solar is available here...

did ur company provides services for area like mine?

[/quote]

mianwali is too far.. installation over there would require too much travelling and even if one screw is required it will be too much of a hassle to get it from there.

besides you should get a 16mm cable minimum... 25mm would be best choice but minimum is 16mm cable..we can send you the cable to your area by daewoo, but you must be very very precise in measurements, otherwise even a foot short cable will ruin the whole effort..

donot skip on cable . search your local market for it first.. minimum 16mm is your requirement.. 25mm for future proofing if you goto 2000W panels..anything smaller than 16mm wont last much longer than a couple of year at max....

its called a Flexible 1 core 16mm DC cable.. for those shopkeepers who might not understand..

google images search will help you..

@ farhan do you means 16mm for panels? If it is true, it will hell lot of than required.

A real 6mm cable can handle 30A very easily and , from panels, you never get this much current. This is very costly part so should be considered as required only.

http://www.elecsa.co.uk/Technical-Library/Wiring-Regulations/Inspection-and-Testing/Current-Carrying-Capacity-of-Cables.aspx

Have a look at this page.

Taree,

It is obvious that you don't have much information about this. So you best course would be to get a good electrician to do it for you.

You need to get him to draw a layout plan of how you will place all the equipment. This is to ensure that cable runs are minimized,heat producing components are sufficienly spaced etc. This is what is required and not the size of the cable at this stage.

http://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Engineering_Tables/Standard_Wire_Gauge

The above link gives you the system of SWG that is used in Pakistan. Wire size is calculated from this table. But I suggest that you let a professional electrician handle this. If you are in doubt you are welcome to discuss at any stage on this forum. I would be glad to help where I can.

Regards

[quote=“tufail_74, post:16, topic:20965”]

@ farhan do you means 16mm for panels? If it is true, it will hell lot of than required.

A real 6mm cable can handle 30A very easily and , from panels, you never get this much current. This is very costly part so should be considered as required only.

http://www.elecsa.co.uk/Technical-Library/Wiring-Regulations/Inspection-and-Testing/Current-Carrying-Capacity-of-Cables.aspx

Have a look at this page.

[/quote]

the actual technical detail that go in this discussion is very long and extremely technical relating to micro strands and Electron shifts and dissipation curves and not actually possible to assure that anyone will completely understand without sound knowledge of electricity and electronics.....i canot type that much right now..much tired.. already replying to over 100s of PM just on this forum and posts and still many emails and alot more pending stuff on other places..

in short., in REAL life practically, there is no equivalent of using less than a minimum of 16mm wire ... you can go lower wire if you want as i see what nizam solar did with your wiring.. for anyone investing in solar right now, i would advise nothing short of 16mm , and 25mm if you can afford would be best option..

you can pass even more current than you quote through an even lesser diameter wire in labs.. in practice, labs and actual product life and specification variations are a much different proposition.

if i could have afforded, i would have done 35mm all the way .and 70mm from battery... sadly i couldnt afford it, so went with 25mm all over and 35 mm from battery to inverter.

i am more than sure that ijaz and aurangzeb would be able to shed more light on this..

[quote=“aurangzebhaque, post:17, topic:20965”]

Taree,

It is obvious that you don't have much information about this. So you best course would be to get a good electrician to do it for you.

You need to get him to draw a layout plan of how you will place all the equipment. This is to ensure that cable runs are minimized,heat producing components are sufficienly spaced etc. This is what is required and not the size of the cable at this stage.

http://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Engineering_Tables/Standard_Wire_Gauge

The above link gives you the system of SWG that is used in Pakistan. Wire size is calculated from this table. But I suggest that you let a professional electrician handle this. If you are in doubt you are welcome to discuss at any stage on this forum. I would be glad to help where I can.

Regards

[/quote]

i have to do it myself dear...no professional electrician here in my area.

most of them dont know anything about solar dc wiring...so for this reason i m here to get basic info.

ur given link is out of my understanding as u can see i have zeero knowledge about all these thing.

i m sure with the help of all of u i will do it my self.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:18, topic:20965”]

the actual technical detail that go in this discussion is very long and extremely technical relating to micro strands and Electron shifts and dissipation curves and not actually possible to assure that anyone will completely understand without sound knowledge of electricity and electronics.

[/quote]

Nobody is asking you to teach an EE course. That will just confuse the majority of readers. :D

I don't see a single reference to the actual wire gauge (AWG/SWG) required anywhere above in this thread. Is the 16mm, 25mm, 35mm reference used earlier the crossectional area or the diameter? So long as the current and wire length is specified, a conservative estimate can easily be made about the required gauge using the plethora of ampacity tables available online.

@Taree: Start with the links below and the one provided earlier by Aurangzebhaque. Google where needed and if you still don't understand, post here for help.

http://www.solaratlas.com/Related_Information_Pages/Using%20and%20choosing_wire_for_Solar_Panel_systems.htm

http://www.freesunpower.com/wire_calc.php

PS: AWG and SWG are not the same! Conversion tables can be found online via Google.