How Fast is Too Fast, For a CPU Fan?

My CPU fan has been consistently running at 2700 rpm

and my CPU avg temp is 36C and MoBo temp hovers at

around 40C. While the temp seem to be in the normal

range, the fan speed, seems comparatively phenomenal.

Now I was looking at the new range of Intel Processors

and their fans were said to run at 680 rpm. So now, I'm

wondering if my fan is running at an abnormal pace and

therefore is my processor/MoBo in imminent danger ?.

I have not replaced the CPU/fan. It's been 4-5 years since

I got this machine and the MoBo has since been upgraded.

Is there, should there... be cause for concern on my part ?.

Sheikh 'Thandi Hava' Chilli

chill dude at idle my PC fan works at 2700 rpm (temp 63) and at full load it works at 4300+ rpm (temp 75-76)

P4 HT 2.8 Ghz

Fan speeds vary depending on the cooling surface and the fan CFM. There shouldn't by anything to worry about unless your fan has totally stopped working.

Also, the newer CPUs output lesser heat than older CPUs so that is why the fans also run slower. Furthermore, fan speeds also vary depending on CPU load and the current temperature.

Thanks guys. Good to know Asad. I thought my CPU

fan had had it.

Btw, Saad isn't this temp a bit on the high side ?.

Maybe all newer processors are built to higher

specs. Mine is old. Bought it in 2002. P4, 2.5Ghz.

Sheikh 'El Relieved-o' Chilli

^ That might be a Northwood core. Confirm using CPUZ.

Those cores were noted for running exceptionally hot. If it is that core, I would say that 36 degree is running it cool.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Btw, Saad isn’t this temp a bit on the high side ?.

Maybe all newer processors are built to higher

specs. Mine is old. Bought it in 2002. P4, 2.5Ghz.

[/quote]

it goes to 90 + when dust accumulates (and even 100 + in worst conditions and then i clean it coz the pc become unstable) and its an HT processor and i heard they are pretty hot by birth ;)

btw its a dusty area here

^ That might be a Northwood core. Confirm using CPUZ.

Those cores were noted for running exceptionally hot. If it is that core, I would say that 36 degree is running it cool.

[/quote]

??? No you’ve got it wrong. Its the prescott cores that had problems with heat. I have a northwood and I know its pretty cool. Actually something like 40-50c when idle and upto 65-70c at load is cool for a p4. Yes that is cool for a CPU in Pakistani climate. 36C is practically freezing point :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_4#Prescott

??? No you’ve got it wrong. Its the prescott cores that had problems with heat. I have a northwood and I know its pretty cool. Actually something like 40-50c when idle and upto 65-70c at load is cool for a p4. Yes that is cool for a CPU in Pakistani climate. 36C is practically freezing point :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_4#Prescott

[/quote]

Yes, you are right and I confused the two.

^mine is a prescott and it shows :D

For CPU, any thing over 75C~85C is critical depending upon processor and many boards have built in settings to shut down or hang up the processor's processing when CPU temperature reaches critical. So even if your processor temperature reached on critical, it most likely that your system will simply shut down or hang up. However happening this too many times may lead to a processor burn. what i want to say is if your fan is rotating then dont worry about the CPU, you only need to worry when your fan is totally stopped.

Well these Hyperthread cpu's are noisy too my one blows like a hairdryer if i start playing games or do some things which it considers "heavy" plus i wonder does the P4 HT consume more electricity compared to the dual core or core 2 duo processors?