How far away are we from Broadband over power lines?

Can we use the existing Wapda infrastructure for voice and data transfer in near future?

yar we are facing shortage of bijli aur you are talking about broadband over power cable :P

I think this technology has been used in Europe

it is called day dreaming :lol:

no one is thinking over this idea, which could really save us infrastructure and other operating expenses... but as of now, no development in this regards, at any level

This sucks it should be implemented it would be amazing, considering PTCL copper wires infrastructure.

we need 100 years to overcome power outages problem.

100 years for development of this technology.

so total is 200 years.

and after 200 year u will be able to use broadband, voice , telephony on wapda wire.

It has potential but it is an alien concept for the public. I did a presentation on this topic 3-1/2 years back at uni which was an overview on the technology.

I see little chance of it happening right now since the higher ups of WAPDA have bigger fish to fry than thinking of innovation in their services and furthermore, we have a 10% zealot in place who will most likely increase his percentages now.

Broadband-over-power-lines is a proven revolutionary technology. AFAIK no country has yet totally converted to it but some districts and areas of USA and Europe are utilizing it. All it need; good standard of electric supply cables and repeaters to bypass transformers.

Even before broadband over power lines came into existence (before WiFi was common and cheap), home LAN over electric cables was and still a good technology (no need to lay down new networking cables. Use current power cables in home to do networking for LAN).

But I am afraid that Pakistan's aging power line system may not deliver good broadband speed to end users, if at all.

There could be another possibility to put WiMAX or EVDO type wireless technology before transformers thus eliminating the need of repeaters and easiness for Pakistani people to use local wireless broadband.

A combination of both technologies; Broadband-over-power-lines as backbone and wireless for end-users.

What you people think?

^yeah it would be interesting to know if those power cables are upto the standard?

and yeah you have a point they can be used as backbone for wimax etc but only if they are capable

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

yar we are facing shortage of bijli aur you are talking about broadband over power cable :P
[/quote]

I am talking about the near future…

I agree with wamp and Saad. They have wasted so many resources in building cellphone tower. Each company with its own towers. They should have paid wapda and used their infrastructure. And yes..Using it for internet backbone is a good idea..

ha ha people will then put kundas for Dsl :P

ha ha people will then put kundas for Dsl :P
[/quote]

lol…good one…

but seriously In Japan their is company providing dsl over power lines… i thinks its over 100Mbps…

well obviously those japanis have not encountered a pakistani :) though i heard that they had invented a shoe shining machine which used to polish ur shoes the catch was that when you insert your second foot it would hold on to it via handcuff and would only release when you put in the tokens/coins for payment.. well guess what our pakastani guy does? he goes to one machine put in one foot gets it shined then moves over to the next machine and shines his other shoe and walks away aur peechay sai japani bahi aatay hain and his foot gets locked :P

^:lol: good one!

@kratos! its not dsl then its broadband! DSL is broadband over telephone line

As for me I really don't give a #$%# as a consumer about behind the scene technicalities that how I get my internet to my house, as a consumer my only concern is reliability meaning up time and secondly speed of the internet.

I'll give you my personal example, many of you must have read or heard about American internet service Verizon FIOS (fiber optics to you house.) a single fiber optic strand bring telephone/HDTV/telephone to the house. With all the hype and stuff after one month usage I switched back to good old cable internet, up time was worst than Pakistani WORLDCALL, since all enchilada was packaged in single fiber strand then down time means no tv, no telephone and no internet.

I have learned one thing internet service access is necessity 24/7 so stick with mode of delivery which is established and have proven reliability i.e cable or DSL, but if someone wants to get techie and experiment with new technologies like FIOS or Internet over the power lines etc then get a second connection for that.

hmm by the way i always wondered what would happen if i stick my telephone line into the power socket.. any ideas?

my cable wala got a very nice shock when he was on the pole fixing the wire i guess due to my Dany tv device at least that is what he was saying =D is there any truth to that?

hmm by the way i always wondered what would happen if i stick my telephone line into the power socket… any ideas?

my cable wala got a very nice shock when he was on the pole fixing the wire i guess due to my Dany tv device at least that is what he was saying =D is there any truth to that?

[/quote]

Well the fuse would go off at exchange or the poll and your phone line would be out.

Dusra I don’t exactly get …Whats a Dany Tv device and what did it do?