How do you price your web design services?

I've recently started getting some web/logo design work, mostly from bloggers looking for custom blog and logo design, and I was wondering how much should I charge for a complete blog and/or logo design?

Currently I charge randomly from 200 to 400 US dollars for a blog design, but I want to keep the price minimal so I can build a portfolio of my work. I can always charge more later when I've more work.

What do you think would be a reasonable price for a normal blog design?

One more thing, what do you do when a particularly annoying client asks for unlimited revisions?

I used to charge per project but eventually settled for a per hour rate with terms upfront that clearly define no changes would be made without extra charges, where petty changes are often an exemption.

I no more freelance but work on a fixed pay at a firm, but previously I used to determine the demand for my work and base the price according to the demand. If you're not able to get sufficient work at your predetermined price, then you either need to tap into a different place/niche: market yourself elsewhere where the right type of clients are, or lower your charges to meet the market rates.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
What do you think would be a reasonable price for a normal blog design?
[/quote]

As the number of factors involved is steep, it's difficult to put a reasonable price in generalization. It depends and varies greatly, is all that I can say.

You also have to consider what your client think reasonable price. It should not be too much higher than your client think nor too low that even cant give you expenditrues you made.

I no more freelance but work on a fixed pay at a firm, but previously I used to determine the demand for my work and base the price according to the demand. If you’re not able to get sufficient work at your predetermined price, then you either need to tap into a different place/niche: market yourself elsewhere where the right type of clients are, or lower your charges to meet the market rates.
[/quote]

There’s sufficient market in blog design niche. A month or so ago I made a post about the need for bloggers to get a custom logo, and was pleasantly surprised when I was contacted by many bloggers for blog/logo design.

I think if I actually offer blog design service at my blog, I’ll have plenty of work. Right now, my only problem is how do I get payments (maybe I’ll partner with some USA based designer). Once I sort this out, I hope to launch a blog design service with a bang. Getting client wouldn’t be a lot of problem as I’ve good reputation and influence in internet marketing blogosphere. :)

There’s sufficient market in blog design niche. A month or so ago I made a post about the need for bloggers to get a custom logo, and was pleasantly surprised when I was contacted by many bloggers for blog/logo design.
[/quote]

That’s true, but what I was referring to is different. You may get a lot of clients from one source or other, however, after a while you’ll learn about the need to filter many of them as they are deemed as pestering clients - the type who are never satisfied and expect you to keep making changes. That’s when you’ll need to identify where and how to find the right type of clients and when to make a deal or reject it.

Anyways, as you’re just starting out in blog design services, you may not want to very picky. Remember to establish your terms and not let the clients exploit you.

Right now, my only problem is how do I get payments (maybe I’ll partner with some USA based designer)
[/quote]

A lot of people are willing to pay via credit cards or moneybookers. Don’t set back if you aren’t able to establish a deal for getting payments via Paypal.

(Number of estimated hours required by the project + 10% to cover meetings, transport and miscellaneous changes, post-sales technical support) x Charge Out Rate = Total - Discounts (if any)

This means for a basic design, it would set the client back around $400 USD, and for a complete website along with some editorial consulting up to $1500 odd dollars. The most expansive website I was involved in totalled $2400 and that was way back then.

My charge out rate right now, for standard jobs is ~$30 an hour. Editorial consulting jobs, while rare, fetch me ~$40 to $50 an hour effectively.

Unfortunately, I am so busy with my other lines of work, I don't have time to indulge in web design right now. Need to find some extra hours in the day in order to earn some guilt-free spending money.

There are many factors that involves pricing yourself.

http://www.freelanceswitch.com/rates/

My ideal rate is anywhere between ~45 USD to 50 USD.

It depeneds on a LOT of things. How fast you work, how good you are it. Basically, you can charge anything you want as long as you are worth it. Don't think like an indian, trying to fit in (no offence to indians please) but try to make your own identity. Provide quality service one that is visibly different. You also might wana add a few SEO touch ups to each job that you do. This can get you a lot of clients.

Also, if you are good at making WORDPRESS themes PM me and I'll see if we can monetize your work on some way or the other.

Good luck!

z