How do you install these things?

okay... i have downloaded a couple of tweaked windows.... they are .iso and bootable.... now do i extract the files and then burn them on a cd or dvd .... or should i burn the .iso file only?? would that .iso file boot?? i actually extracted one of those windows and then burned them.... they wouldn't boot... i guess i had to burn the .iso file and not the extracted content,,, i don't want to waste my cds or dvds... plz guide as i am sure all of you must be downloading windows rather than buying them in stores and all are in .iso on torrents

Just directly burn those ISOs. No need to first extract them and then write. There is an option in all CD/DVD writing softwares of writing ISO files to disk.

Are you sure they are bootable? Because if they were then even first extracting them and then writing would have resulted in bootable CD.

"tweaked windows"?

make sure they are not tweaked with rootkits and malwares first ;)

I think if the ISO is correctly made then it should have the bootimage in it already, so you would just have to write the image to CD...(just don't extract and write, as TechMan said)

okies... thx people... willl try and report back

You better check if it works fine or not by installing it on a VM like Virtual PC or VMWare.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Just directly burn those ISOs. No need to first extract them and then write. There is an option in all CD/DVD writing softwares of writing ISO files to disk.

Are you sure they are bootable? Because if they were then even first extracting them and then writing would have resulted in bootable CD.

[/quote]

No it wouldn’t. Bootable CDS have special info stored in certain pre defined sectors of the CD ROM. This information tells the BIOS to boot from the CD. This info is only stored in the ISO image which is a copy of the CD file system. Extracting the ISO and copying just the files onto a cd means that you loose this boot sector info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Torito_(CD-ROM_standard)

^ you can store boot info in ISOs...

^ you can store boot info in ISOs…
[/quote]

Yeah I know. I was replying to tech man’s comment that you can extract the files in an ISO image and burn those files to a CD to create a bootable CD. You can’t do that. You have to burn the ISO image as a whole to create a bootable CD.

yes just burn the ISO on any CD.. it will do. most customized windows are bootable. but double check with the source.

by tweaked windows he means customized windows. i've installed XP performance edition on my desktop, its only 200mb and installed in about 5-10mins! its working fine uptill now.

i want to know from where i can make my own customised xp (website?), so that i can just install the windows and it will have application and drivers i want pre installed.

www.nlite.com

It can customise any windows you want, the way you want.

the software is awesome. Give it a try. Its free too with documentation.

yes just burn the ISO on any CD… it will do. most customized windows are bootable. but double check with the source.

by tweaked windows he means customized windows. i’ve installed XP performance edition on my desktop, its only 200mb and installed in about 5-10mins! its working fine uptill now.

i want to know from where i can make my own customised xp (website?), so that i can just install the windows and it will have application and drivers i want pre installed.

[/quote]

i have downloaded tinyxp by experience from demonoid which is only 99mb… supposed to be wicked fast… his small vista is only 699mb