How do I partition my hard disk?

I'd had it with my old one constantly crashing so the other day I marched out and bought myself a new computer, one of the pre-assembled ones built by Raffles (rather unfortunately I bought it from Hyperstar...terrible experience) and now that I've finally got it up and running...how do I partition my hard disk?

250 GB.

The very thought of using+defragmenting that without smaller, more manageable partitions makes me dizzy.

But I couldn't create partitions during Windows installation, nor from the Computer Management app that comes with Windows, and even EaseUs Partition Master couldn't help me. "Create a Partition" is disabled everywhere.

What gives?

in windows

goto control pannel > administrative tools > disk manager

acronis disk director is a very cool software too..

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I’d had it with my old one constantly crashing so the other day I marched out and bought myself a new computer, one of the pre-assembled ones built by Raffles (rather unfortunately I bought it from Hyperstar…terrible experience) and now that I’ve finally got it up and running…how do I partition my hard disk?

250 GB.

The very thought of using+defragmenting that without smaller, more manageable partitions makes me dizzy.

But I couldn’t create partitions during Windows installation, nor from the Computer Management app that comes with Windows, and even EaseUs Partition Master couldn’t help me. “Create a Partition” is disabled everywhere.

What gives?

[/quote]

Can you confirm that your hard drive is being detected by Windows at all?

Keep the 250GB partition if it is that size. It shouldn't make you dizzy since it is a rather small size.

Keep the 250GB partition if it is that size. It shouldn’t make you dizzy since it is a rather small size.
[/quote]

I’m an impatient person and I like microscopic sizes then. :confused:

Anyway, I figured out the problem and it really was quite silly of me. So now I’ve got 7 partitions, 1 each for my siblings to use, and 4 for me. :>

Thanks everyone!

^

holy Sh*t

dont u feel like dizzy looking at so many partitions....

i've 320gb i'd try 10 partitions! ;)

I must be really stupid here because I keep only one partition even in 500GB :|

^

holy Sh*t

dont u feel like dizzy looking at so many partitions…

[/quote]

Nope. I love it. I’m one of those people who love sorting. =]

If defragmenting is a hassle for you then having one large partition is better than multiple smaller partitions. The reason is that to defragment you need at least 15% free space. If you have multiple smaller partitions and you start to fill up your hard disk your going to have a terrible time trying to keep 15% free in each partition.

Secondly hard disks also increase in speed along with capacity. A 250 GB hard disk is faster than say an 80GB one. So defragmenting will not take long.

Edit: I forgot to answer your question :) . If you still want smaller partitions then you will need something like gparted or partition magic to resize your 250gb partition into smaller ones.