How accurately your phone's data counter reflect real data usage?

Of course I am willing to know if my phone is reflecting least-around the values which have actually been used.

I actually got 30MB/month free for first 6 months with my phone purchased from Ufone.

And now that bucket for month has been used according to the Network and I have to wait for the month to end when it will be re-activated for another 30 days.

I was sleeping when the the bucket ended. it was being used by email client so when the bucket ended, it started to deduct my balance and at last left me a message to dial *456# to avail advance of Rs.15. Fcuk!!!! :o . I never used Ufone on regular basis as I am doing just to use this free GPRS as I could. but it's gonna give me hard luck... I am thinking to leave it now...

But the thing is, My phone is not reflecting such an amount of usage, even not around 30MB. The phone has been used merely 2 weeks (actually 1 week and a few more days) and GPRS is used mostly by the email client. The data counter in my phone is below 20MB.

I actually have seen a bit of differences between the local counters on the phone and ones at network but not as much big difference as 40%

So would you please help me with your ideas of this difference?

The question is. Do you get such a difference in your usage?

GPRS/WAP transfers data in buckets of 64 kiloBytes. Email client merely uses 10kB-20kB to get the headers, then disconnects. The actual data that gets deducted from the network is 64kB at a time, even though your phone used much less than that. Your phone data counter records the actual amount of data transferred but network counters show in packets of 64kB.

^ That's the first time this info came to my knowledge.

If this is true, then this really sucks. So even if we connect to check an email (10 Kb), 64 Kb wort of credit will be deducted?

^ Yeah.

Yep. That really sucks. I remember once i started Gmail and forgot to close it properly and it kept running in the background. When i checked my balance after around four hours my balance was used by Rs. 70!! :(

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

GPRS/WAP transfers data in buckets of 64 kiloBytes. Email client merely uses 10kB-20kB to get the headers, then disconnects. The actual data that gets deducted from the network is 64kB at a time, even though your phone used much less than that. Your phone data counter records the actual amount of data transferred but network counters show in packets of 64kB.
[/quote]

Yep that’s true. but the email client is actually connected with the email server (for Push Emails), and it keeps alive without disconnecting from the APN. To do this way it keeps sending/receiving some bytes to keep it alive.

I can remember that for some test purposes I used the Google Maps with turning it on/off. I guess it might have caused the more connections…

Anyways

Thanks for your input guys.