Home Wifi Setup! Help Required

Dear I want to setup home wifi network for about 1 KM radius area. I have already PTCL DSL. Now my question is that what type of hardware required for this setup and what will be its price? Please reply me fast.

Are you trying to run a local network for fee? AFAIK, that is illegal per the terms and conditions of PTCL's DSL connection.

Point-to-point links of 1Km are easily possible with normal routers using directional antennas but they don't have enough power for omni-directional 1km links.

Sadly that is just not possible. Although high gain omni directional antennas can easily work in a 1 km radius, they require a clear line of sight and no congestion on the frequency band which the 2.4 band is not. Could be possible with a WiFi ac router. But a single wall would make your network useless, if this 1km radius is a ground with no trees or obstructions it could work.

people here in my area are running such type of networks, what can be their system setup?

Perhaps long range directional antenna on the transmit source and the same on the receiving end? That won't be in a radius, but at a 15 degree angle

Then please tell me the solutions for extending the existing PTCL DSL Wifi Modem Range

Current ptcl modems comes with inbuilt antennas to n which you can not extend the range, but you can buy your own high range 5Ghz combo modem which will cover more area

suggest me the model and also tell price

[quote=“armada, post:7, topic:21151”]

Current ptcl modems comes with inbuilt antennas to n which you can not extend the range, but you can buy your own high range 5Ghz combo modem which will cover more area

[/quote]

There is a workaround if you can get yourself an RP-SMA connector. Did this to my fibrehome some 3 years ago and attached a 5dbi antenna. Was a huge upgrade over the default 2dbi antenna.

[quote="zed2, post:8, topic:21151"]

suggest me the model and also tell price

[/quote]

I used to be obsessed with having the widest possible wifi signal reception on my cell phone around my home. Sunk around 30 thousand into it, bought triple wifi routers with disappointing results. Bought 18 dbi omnidirectional antenna's that only worked with a clear line of sight. Bought 1 and 2 watt wifi signal repeaters only to find out they amplified the noise to the extent it made it unusable.

Range is not an issue if you know little bit about networking and wifi.

It is difficult to achieve 1Km range per "single segment" but if you split your network in multiple segments you can cover 1km very easily.

PTCL modems support bridging mode please search "wifi bridging mode".