Home networking

aoa,

i m trying to connect two pc's through network cards on xp, i was able to run networking wizard on one pc completely and but other pc error occurs before wizard can complete ,

i want networking mainly for internet connection sharing purpose,

is thr any work around this situation, any software that can do it for me,

any help will b appreciated

is the network light of the LAN cards on?

yes light on both cards is on

than ur network is workin fine

settin up net is easy u just need to run the wizard on the computer with the internet connection and then on then other u dont need to run the wizard in the network setting just set it so that the computer receives the ip address automatically and net will work on both computers

ok i have assigned ip adress 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.5 to both computers , from one pc i can see other pc in network explorer but can't access any resource.

i have shared network connection on host pc, will thr b any specific settings in IE to connect host pc

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

aoa,

i m trying to connect two pc’s through network cards on xp, i was able to run networking wizard on one pc completely and but other pc error occurs before wizard can complete ,

i want networking mainly for internet connection sharing purpose,

is thr any work around this situation, any software that can do it for me,

any help will b appreciated

[/quote]

You didn’t mentioned your internet connection type. If you are using DSL then get DSL router that also has Network Switch in it (commonly available). Just plug-in your DSL and wires from your computers to that router and viola! Everything will work. Yes, just like that (with default Windows XP settings).

Most modern routers+switch will automatically assign IP addresses to computers using DNS server (built into router). It will also allow sharing DSL connection between computer. Thus, you’ll be able to use internet on your computers.

By the way, if you are using other than DSL then do tell us your internet connection type.

Fe-Aman Allah.

no , poor man uses dial up, i wanna connect both pc's for internet connection sharing and file sharing, i have assigned static ip addresses on both, but i still can' share any resource ,

If you are connecting one to another directly, without a router, switch or hub, you need to be using a cross over cable not a "standard" network cable.

since i normally face such kinda issues when connecting my pc with my bro's pc, i am gonna post what i know , may be it'll help.

First, if the setup didn't run ok, make sure both the PCs are on the same workgroup. you can change the workgroup from right-clicking on my computer > properties and check workgroup. change the work group to something else, do this on both PCs. restart the pcs. i guess you should be able to access stuff on both the pcs then.

ok thanx raza i searched for cross over cable in wiki and yes i need to get that ,