Home Based datacenter @ Lahore

Last night, I was searching for cheap dedicated servers for my site, and see there are still some companies providing refurbished p3 and p4 low end servers

So what I get specification from one site,

P3 1 GHz

256 MB RAM

20 Gb HDD

300 Gb b/w

It costs about 30$ per month on yearly payment, per month it is available at 35$

So just Thinking is it Possible to start a Datacenter at my Home, with Low end, and budget servers

Unmanaged

Just estimated what I need

Main thing I need uplink, minimum 10 Mb, what is cost, I think I could get it at 10,000-15,000 per month (with 10 IP’S )

I know I need more, but at start,

So.

I need servers as specified above,

So I can get it ad “branded” from hafeez center at cost of 3,000-3,500 per price

So it can be Setup cost of server.

I will provide Linux, Centos,

As server control panel, I will give Servercp lit edition (Single interface, that is free) or Webmin with usermin , that is also free

What I need more, UPS, I have , LCD , I have ,

I will charge 2000 per month for a p3 dedicated server , and 2500 per month for a p4 1.5 GHz

I can provide more powerful servers but as in Pakistan , main thing is limited budget , so Powerful server are also available at request

Shared hosting? , Don’t want to start it ad start, too much time need for it , and idiot questions from clients , so not

VPS ? , yes , that point too . (Virtual private Server)

I can get and entry level c2d , e2100 based pro with 2 Gb ram at 12,000-15,000 from hafeez center ,

Vps will be provided on technology of Open vz , with free control panel for managing vtnof , vps control panel can be server-cp , webmin or vhcs any free

However If anyone want , plesk , cpanel , direct admin for both vps or dedicated , it can also be provided on extra cost

So what I can give on VPS

5 Gb HD

100 Gb b/w

128 Mb Ram

Root access, 1 IP , fairs share cpu usage

And it expected cost is Rs, 800 per month,

I think if I got any problem from start that will be higher ping time from rest of the world, is it not?

Well I m not going to start it , just want some ideas it is as easy as I think what can be problems if anyone want to start this type of datacenter or even single server

I have previous experience of home server for my site pkpeople.com , I host this site about 4 months , on my home server , using Multiunit 256 kb unlimited ( it was 2 year ago ) , so that was a good expirence , I used both OS , windows and fedora core 4 , and that was a successful experience , user never complaint for low speed if there are some times more than 15 users online at same time on my forum .

So what you say , is it easy ad I think , or what problem any one can face for it ?

I don't think you should host it from home, instead, buy a Domain name, around 300 Rupees a year I guess? And Get premium host from 110Mb or any other good premium host provider. It would be a good experience THAT way. But if you insist on keeping an eagle eye on your server and wish to do whatever problem may occur by yourself and do it whenever you are aware of the problem, then what you have mentioned may be good for a site/forum that doesn't have a very high traffic. After getting some more cash, I highly recommend you to upgrade your server, then when you are running a high end server from home, you can make the big bucks and keep the cash for your own personal use.

Alternatively, you could PM KO and ask him how he hosts and runs WP.

Lol..Impossible.It will cost you a lot.You are better off purchasing colocation space in some US DC.Just forget it.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I don’t think you should host it from home, instead, buy a Domain name, around 300 Rupees a year I guess? And Get premium host from 110Mb or any other good premium host provider. It would be a good experience THAT way.Alternatively, you could PM KO and ask him how he hosts and runs WP.
[/quote]

i have 1 dedicated server , 2 shared hosting from shinjuru , and i have 5 websites runing , and have 50 domain reseller packge ,

If you have that, why do you need this one here?

Basically, you are trying to run servers at home and sell them to US customers at dirt cheap price (A P4 normally costs about 100$ per month..I have Core2Quad for about 200$ per month).First of all..you need good uplink to and for that you need at least 10mbps per server which alone will cost you 1000$/Month (10 PTCL 2 MBPS Connections or maybe even more as uplink speed is only 512kb and then merging them etc) Also..15/20 users are NOTHING.Your customers might run heavy sites with thousands of users from places like USA and Europe.It will kill your connection and most importantly uptime will be terrible as you know in Pakistan your Internet can go down anytime.

Sorry for dropping in

where do you guys study all this romatic stuff, i mean which degree or course?

You'd need one more internet link as a minimum, and I don't think a 10mbps link is that cheap.

Not to mention the electricity...

Well , as i said , i m not going to start this , but if it is ?

then what problems of starter or any one can face ,

in my opinion if any one can start a desi cable internet network , he also can start this stuff , and , it not must that i or starter sell this server to us based cutomers , i know that a major big ping problems , it is for local websites , websites visited from pakistan mostly ,

You're just too excited, as I was at some point of time; though I had bigger plans. Spend more time trying to read on the subject and the issues of running a datacenter. Or just take our advice and drop the idea.

Why don't you rent server? I have a server with better specs than you mentioned and it costs me only $69/month.

Google it and you'll have thousand more choices :)

WOW very tecnical GuRus In here discussing server and datacenter stuff...

NIce read.....Dream ON :)

WOW very tecnical GuRus In here discussing server and datacenter stuff…

NIce read…Dream ON :)

[/quote]

sarcasm???

WOW very tecnical GuRus In here discussing server and datacenter stuff…

NIce read…Dream ON :)

[/quote]

I don’t really understand what the point of your post was…?

I don’t really understand what the point of your post was…?

[/quote]

same here

What if you get robbed ? :-"

What if you get robbed ? :-"
[/quote]

That’s a point but you need to get the basics right before pondering on the issue of security. :)