Homage UPS Inverter?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

check on the back of inverter IF theres a fast charging or normal charging Switch… set the switch on Normal charging …if ur battery is not weak
[/quote]

its homage ups there is only one charging mode.

battery is good, took it to the battery wallah for confirmation. Further, I regularly check the water level every 15 days and there is no rusting as well. Is there any way that i can check battery’s juice?

[/quote]

Battery wallah probably checked your battery by putting a voltmeter to it and checking whether it gives 12 V. Your battery is fine, it is just old, so it can not last long. The 12 V will drain quickly. For USP this becomes a problem but for a car it is not as car just needs max voltage at start up. Did you tell the battery guy that the battery does not last long on a UPS? he would have suggested that the plates can not hold enough amps. Keep in mind that even if the plates on your battery hold 50 amps, it will still show full 12 V, if it is fully charged. It just won’t last as long as a 100 Amp battery.

That is my opinion as you mentioned earlier that your battery is old and it is a normal car battery so it should only manage around 200 deep charge/discharge cycles.

Also, check if you have something else running on your battery during load shedding. This morning during load shedding, I found my Mother using a 400 W hair dryer. This can quickly drain your battery.

It is not your UPS fault as UPS is for “how many equipment you can run”. Battery is for “how long those equipment will run”. If you want to check your UPS then put 600 W on it. If it runs fine for 3-4 minutes then your UPS is fine. Then see how long the 600 W should run on your 100 amps battery by using the calculator I provided earlier. If battery dies earlier then your battery is the culprit.

edit: correction. old battery’s voltage will also be slightly lower than a brand new one’s. checking the voltage can tell you if the battery is good or not. still, the difference in voltage will not be that significant and for use with ups it is better to check it by measuring the total run/discharge time instead of the voltage.

thanks.

Exide 110 amps battery attached to Homage 1000v/600w gets very hot and takes hours for charging. I am using 4 energy savers plus 3 fans during load shedding. The setup was installed only 6 months back and the trouble started few days ago.

Same problem occured when I was using Illuminous 2000 with 2 batteries 120 amps each. Had to switch to Homage. House wiring is perfect.

Exide 110 amps battery attached to Homage 1000v/600w gets very hot and takes hours for charging. I am using 4 energy savers plus 3 fans during load shedding. The setup was installed only 6 months back and the trouble started few days ago.

Same problem occured when I was using Illuminous 2000 with 2 batteries 120 amps each. Had to switch to Homage. House wiring is perfect.

[/quote]

There might be a problem with your homage, the over charge protection might be faulty.

You say you had the system up for 6 months? Was your battery getting hot before too? If not then your homage is fine.

Keep in mind that the battery will get warm during charging. If your battery requires 2-3 hours for charging, this might be the reason for it getting hot. Your battery is not enough for the load you are putting on it. 3 fans are most likely more then 300 W and then if you include the energy savers you are draining your battery far too much. Not only will your battery require more time to charge back, but it will also fail after 6-7 months, as normal car/engine start batteries can not survive deep discharges/recharges.

I am using the 1000 VA homage with a 140 amp/hr deep cycle battery since Jan and so far it is going great. I have not yet had to top-off water in it even. I usually have only 2 fans and 2 energy savers on it. sometime only 3 fans at night.

With desi ups having square wave output, fan speed drop is significant…specially when the fan is set to low speed from dimmer. With modified sine wave, the speed drop should not be noticeable.

I am sure there is overload protection there. You can try setting it to narrow and see if that improves the speed of fan. Try to set the fan at highest speed before testing as dimmers also contribute to odd slow downs when voltage is not pure sinewave.

[/quote]

This is strange. When my battery was new and fully charged the fans actually ran clearly faster when mains power went out. I have a desi UPS too. I always thought this had to do with the batteries condition and not on the UPS. If the battery was significantly discharged by regular load shedding then yes, the fans ran slower on UPS.

Thanks for the repy. I have tried operating the ups manually, i.e. after one hour off charging I shut it off, now the battery is working fine and taking the load. Guess something wrong with the homage. Kindly advise the right battery (amps etc) to be used with this ups in order to sustain a load of 3 fans max 4 plus 3 energy savers.

Thanks for the repy. I have tried operating the ups manually, i.e. after one hour off charging I shut it off, now the battery is working fine and taking the load. Guess something wrong with the homage. Kindly advise the right battery (amps etc) to be used with this ups in order to sustain a load of 3 fans max 4 plus 3 energy savers.
[/quote]

Use this calculator to calculate your desired battery size.

http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/inverter_faq.html#how_long

whatever the load you use in the above calculator, make sure the battery run time is at least 2 hours, so after 1 hr use the battery will be discharged 50 %. Do not let your battery discharge below 50 % as this will damage the battery. This figure is for a deep cycle battery, for a normal engine start car battery the figure is 90%, i.e do not discharge a normal car battery below 90%. You can risk 80% but not below that.

This does not have to do with the quality of the battery used. It has to do with the technology used inside the battery. A normal car battery, even of good quality brand, should not be discharged below 90%.

This is strange. When my battery was new and fully charged the fans actually ran clearly faster when mains power went out. I have a desi UPS too. I always thought this had to do with the batteries condition and not on the UPS. If the battery was significantly discharged by regular load shedding then yes, the fans ran slower on UPS.

[/quote]

Actually, fans are designed to run on pure sine wave. If you use modified or square wave the fan motor does not get enough power as it can not obtain useful power from a square/modified sine wave, so its rpm (revolutions per minute) will go down. This is the normal behavior.

The local hot shot technicians usually over come this by making the UPS output more Voltage. Normal is 220 V or 230 V. But if your UPS outputs more than that like 235-240 V, the normal drop in the speed is overcome and your fan either runs on its normal speed or the speed goes up. Side effect is that the fan also draws more current and this reduces the run time of your battery.

Other side effects:

Your fan motor can get damaged as it is not designed to run on more then 220 V.

Your bulbs, tube lights, energy savers also run brighter than they should, damaging the filament in the bulbs and circuitry in the energy savers and tube lights.

When tube light is not in use, it glows in the dark, always a sign that something is not right.

In short, fan speed increasing on UPS is not a normal thing and causes damage in the long run.

Thanks, where do I find deep cycle battery in Isloo and how much will it cost say for 140 amps?

Thanks, where do I find deep cycle battery in Isloo and how much will it cost say for 140 amps?
[/quote]

I stopped researching batteries after Jan so my information might be outdated. I bought Osaka IT-1000 140 amp/hr battery from metro for 7100 and got it activated by a volta dealer for 400.

The IT series from volta is a deep cycle battery, designed with thicker plates for UPS use.

See here http://volta.com.pk/price.php

thanks.
[/quote]

You are welcome. Let me know how you solved your problem?

Hi Raza...you are doing a good job man...i am planning to buy a UPS which should be 1500 Watts (or 1200 WATTS) ... i have been suggested to buy mercury UPS...there are few other brands like Homage, saltec, digitech etc...i am not sure which one to buy ... i am planning to buy this ups to support energy savers, fans, ptcl modem, laptop charger and a tv(or sometimes a 22 inch monitor with tv tuner attached to it )...

Please suggest some nice UPS for this. secondly any idea about the prices of 1200 and 1500 WATTS UPS... Please also tell me wht is the difference between a desi ups and all these branded ups...i heard they both provide square wave so the output is the same...

*** 4-5 people in my family got a ups from a person here in lahore who assembles ups himself (desi ups)...so far they all are very happy...they are using it from 2 years and they all recommended me to get ups from him as they never faced a single problem in 2 years... he is providing 1500 watts ups for 18k and 1200 watts for 15k ( just the ups no battery) and 1 year warranty( which he really does, available on 1 phone call)... if the branded ups also provide the same kind of output(squrare wave) then i think its better to buy from this person...what do you say about his prices and is it safe to run laptop charger, tv and ptc modem on this ups? *****

Your help will be highly appreciated :)

Cheers

JUst called mercury radiant distributors in lahore, Mercury Radiant 2000 is for 11k with 1 year warranty...its an inverter

@moazzam2

Thank you. I had a desi UPS and a normal car battery last summer and it was a bad experience. So, before buying a UPS/battery this year I did a lot of research.

I have heard some desi ups are good, so if you know of one that comes highly recommended and you are satisfied with its performance then you should go ahead and get it. The price seems expensive for a desi UPS. Does the desi 1500 watts UPS use one battery or two? Keep in mind if you go with either a homage or mercury 2000 W UPS you will need to buy two batteries with them. So, you need to see how much the whole system will cost you instead of just UPS.

Most desi ups produce square wave which is the worst. The imported Chinese UPS produce modified sine wave which is at least better than a square wave

Most desi ups exaggerate the amount of watts they can output. My last desi UPS was supposed to be a 1200 VA one but it could only support 2 fans and two energy savers. If you put third fan on it, there was a speed decrease on the first two fans. The homage 1000 VA that I am using right now can support 4 fans and 4 tube lights simultaneously. I have tested it with four fans and 2 tubes and two energy savers and it worked fine. Fans ran at full speed. So, this is something you need to take into account.

In Jan the homage 2000 W UPS was being sold for 9500. I do not know the price right now. but you should get a good deal as dealers must be worried that if they dont sell in the coming month then they will not be able to sell their ups till next year. So, bargain with them and get a good deal.

I do not run by laptop charger on my modified sine wave ups and although it will most likely work fine but as it is not designed to work with modified sine wave and square wave so it is not recommended to run it on such electricity. That is my recommendation.

Calculate the amount of total wattage you are going to put on the system and then use the calculator I gave earlier to get the right battery for your needs.

I hope I have answered all you question. Feel free to ask me if you still need help.

p.s. I recommend homage as so far it has not given me any problem and is running fine. Keep in mind that I only use ups for emergency use only. Meaning that even though it can run 4 fans but during evening time we all just gather in one room and have only 1 or 2 fans + 2 energy savers on it.

Hey. i read this thread...i have a 2KVA Homage UPS.. i got it in March for Rs. 9500. I dont know what square wave or sine wave is, but i have noticed that u cannot run PC on it. when the light goes, it restarts. I have tried both narrow and wide input settings and its the same with both..system restarts..

Anyhow, apart from that there is no problum, charging is perfect. i got two FB 130 batteries with it and till now they are working perfect. I recommend this UPS for users who dont wanna use PC on it. Fan gets slightly slow but thats ignorable. not a major problum.

Before Homage, i had a Desi UPS and it was the worst nightmare of my life.. it had some major charging issues. when the voltage was low, it just wudnt charge...even if the voltage is 200V, it wont charge...so my aug08 to oct08 period was awe full. i sold it this year and got Homage instead. till now im happy and satisfied.

Thanks, you have been a great help, will bother ya if trouble arises again.

Hey. i read this thread…i have a 2KVA Homage UPS… i got it in March for Rs. 9500. I dont know what square wave or sine wave is, but i have noticed that u cannot run PC on it. when the light goes, it restarts. I have tried both narrow and wide input settings and its the same with both…system restarts…

Anyhow, apart from that there is no problum, charging is perfect. i got two FB 130 batteries with it and till now they are working perfect. I recommend this UPS for users who dont wanna use PC on it. Fan gets slightly slow but thats ignorable. not a major problum.

Before Homage, i had a Desi UPS and it was the worst nightmare of my life… it had some major charging issues. when the voltage was low, it just wudnt charge…even if the voltage is 200V, it wont charge…so my aug08 to oct08 period was awe full. i sold it this year and got Homage instead. till now im happy and satisfied.

[/quote]

Homage will not be able to keep the PC from rebooting as its transfer time from AC to DC is high. 16 milli seconds in narrow mode and 48 milli seconds in the wide mode.

To prevent PC from rebooting the transfer time should be less than 5 milli seconds.

Use your homage in the wide mode, as in this mode it protects itself against voltage fluctuations.

To many UPS threads,information is scattered all over the forum, Kindly make a single Ups thread like the generator thread and make it sticky,so that one can easily find the required info at one place.

Pls urgent help required

I have been using Homage 4+4 inverter since last year with phoenix battery.

Recently I have observed that UPS is continuously charging the battery even when there is no load shedding, otherwise it should have stopped charging when battery is full....anyone do faced this problem????

Also the battery is heating up & water inside seems nearly boiling...& even when I shut off the UPS the battery keeps heating up......pls suggest urgently

Pls urgent help required

I have been using Homage 4+4 inverter since last year with phoenix battery.

Recently I have observed that UPS is continuously charging the battery even when there is no load shedding, otherwise it should have stopped charging when battery is full…anyone do faced this problem???

Also the battery is heating up & water inside seems nearly boiling…& even when I shut off the UPS the battery keeps heating up…pls suggest urgently

[/quote]

Your homage’s charger might have developed a problem. you will need to get it checked by the dealer. If the battery is heating up to such an extent that the water is boiling, you should disconnect the battery from UPS at once or your battery will be ruined.

When you shut off the UPS wait for 30 minutes, battery should cool down.

I had a desi UPS last year and it too used to boil the water inside my old battery. My old battery was ruined.