Homage UPS Inverter?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I have got my UPS installed today… lets see what performace it gives in peak season…
[/quote]

Have you run fans on your UPS yet? Let me know if there is a considerable fan speed decline when the UPS takes over.

any UPS which runs a/c for 1.5 tons for atleast 6 hours ?

any UPS which runs a/c for 1.5 tons for atleast 6 hours ?
[/quote]

i am afraid, UPS can not, but 3 KV generator or max 5 KV generator can do this.

UPS are mostly so suck powerful to support 2000 WAtts A/C with start load. inverter based UPS can might do it,… but you then must have 3000 watts to 5000 watts inverter based UPS.

Anything that can provide uninterpreted power is called a UPS. Some are transformer based others are inverter based. Some produce modified sine wave others produce pure sine wave, stepped sine wave, even square wave. Each has different price depending on what it does.

UPS typically charges your battery during normal electricity. If you get an inverter only then you need to buy a charger separately. Homage has a charger built in.

There is no difference but most desi UPS have their negative input/output connected together internally. If you had a desi UPS before and it was working fine and now you have shifted to an imported UPS like Homage, you need to make sure you connect the negative on the inverter input and output together externally as they are not connected internally. An electrician can guide you there.

[/quote]

I understand what you are saying. You must be referring to neutral input and output to be joined together externally (as there is no negative in AC). Anyway thanks for your response. One last thing, the specs says that it has Built-in stabilizer (or AVR). Does that mean it will provide regulated 220V AC even when the mains power is available? Or does this AVR function only applies when the inverter is operating and no mains is available?

I understand what you are saying. You must be referring to neutral input and output to be joined together externally (as there is no negative in AC). Anyway thanks for your response. One last thing, the specs says that it has Built-in stabilizer (or AVR). Does that mean it will provide regulated 220V AC even when the mains power is available? Or does this AVR function only applies when the inverter is operating and no mains is available?

[/quote]

Homage does not have a built-in stabilizer or AVR. Where did you get this info?

Homage does not have a built-in stabilizer or AVR. Where did you get this info?

[/quote]

I received a brochure with my Bank Alfalah card statement that states “Built-in stabilizer from 100v to 240V”. I think I also saw that on the Homage Inverter’s packing at the store.

I received a brochure with my Bank Alfalah card statement that states “Built-in stabilizer from 100v to 240V”. I think I also saw that on the Homage Inverter’s packing at the store.

[/quote]

I see what you mean. It does say built-in stabilizer on the box, but it is not a stabilizer per say. Homage has a setting which is recommended for Pakistan and it is called a “wide mode”. In this mode Homage works between 90-280 V. This means even if the input voltage varies, as long as it remains between 90-280, Homage works fine.

This is important because in Pakistan sometime there are fluctuation (jhatka) on the line. And since Homage is designed to take over when it thinks the power has gone out, so the greater voltage variations gives homage enough time to decide whether it is a real power breakdown or just a false alarm.

This should work both when homage runs on mains and battery. It is at the input of the inverter not the output. So, it is not a stabilizer per say nor is it a AVR.

But in my opinion it is more important then a stabilizer for us Pakistanis as our distribution system is lousy.

I saw your email today. You should have mentioned that you have sent me a PM. That is my junk box and I only check it once a week. I have sent you an email back.

Greetings,

I am using a chineese UPS (1200 WATTS/2000VA/24V) with 2 OSAKA IT750 (140 Ah as per VOLTA dealer though I dont think so!) batteries in series. My UPS is branded as Pasaris and it looks same as homage with the exception of LCD display. Previously I was using 1500 VA Local UPS with 2 EXIDE 108 Ah batteries. I was using single wiring earlier with my local UPS but then I rewired my portion with double wiring (neutral of WAPDA is seperate from Neutral output of UPS).

I have changed my UPS and batteries in one go and since then my energy savers blinks (for approx. couple of milli sec) everytime inverter shifts from WAPDA to batteries. I have checked it with Narrow as well as Wide mode but in vain. Moreover with my ex-UPS :) fans were used to speed up while shifting from WAPDA to batteries but now case is otherwise. Fan becomes considerably slow as compared to WAPDA. Though I can always fix it up using dimmers but then I again have to use dimmers to reduce speed when WAPDA comes back.

It seems that I have changed a lot in a single go :) UPS + Batteries + Wiring and now I am unable to find the root cause of this issue. I dont have my old UPS and batteries available with me, so really can't figure this out by replacing UPS or batteries.

Any words of wisdom?

i had double line wiring, and in my case, fans spped increases when switched to battries.

Only thing which i feel is culprit is your UPS. or might be dimmers.

last year i has Desi made ups with old dimmers (big regulators and transformers in it), that time fans used to slow down when switched to battery.

but this year i changed the wiring, changed the dimmers and changed the ups as well.

wiring is not culprit in any case. consider other options as culprit.

Greetings,

I am using a chineese UPS (1200 WATTS/2000VA/24V) with 2 OSAKA IT750 (140 Ah as per VOLTA dealer though I dont think so!) batteries in series. My UPS is branded as Pasaris and it looks same as homage with the exception of LCD display. Previously I was using 1500 VA Local UPS with 2 EXIDE 108 Ah batteries. I was using single wiring earlier with my local UPS but then I rewired my portion with double wiring (neutral of WAPDA is seperate from Neutral output of UPS).

I have changed my UPS and batteries in one go and since then my energy savers blinks (for approx. couple of milli sec) everytime inverter shifts from WAPDA to batteries. I have checked it with Narrow as well as Wide mode but in vain. Moreover with my ex-UPS :) fans were used to speed up while shifting from WAPDA to batteries but now case is otherwise. Fan becomes considerably slow as compared to WAPDA. Though I can always fix it up using dimmers but then I again have to use dimmers to reduce speed when WAPDA comes back.

It seems that I have changed a lot in a single go :) UPS + Batteries + Wiring and now I am unable to find the root cause of this issue. I dont have my old UPS and batteries available with me, so really can’t figure this out by replacing UPS or batteries.

Any words of wisdom?

[/quote]

If you energy savers are blinking then the output of your UPS fluctuates when it takes over from wapda and then stabilizes. It might be a problem with UPS or it might be a bad wiring problem. I am sure input and output neutral of your UPS needs to be connected together. It says so on my Homage manual. If you have a standard wiring with a central circuit breaker, then this problem is solved on its own but if you do separate wiring then you need to connect them together. An electrician can help you better.

As far as fans are concerned, under normal conditions they should slow down slightly when UPS takes over but not considerably. The problem in this case might be the dimmers or the fans themselves. Two of my fans slow down considerably while the other two only slow down slightly. I have been unable to diagnose the problem because load shedding has stopped here in Islamabad and I stopped worrying.

IT-750 are 120 Amp/hr batteries. You can call Volta directly and find out from them instead of the dealers, as dealers exaggerate because they want to sell batteries.

@Aliravian: Dimmers seems fine since they were working perfectly with my Local UPS.

@Raza0007: My UPS connects Neutral Input with Neutral Output (internally).

I bought clamp meter last night and my UPS output is 195-198 Volts.

I have noticed something else wierd about my UPS :). It's output gives you Live in right socket hole (as mentioned on the UPS as well) but input takes Live via left. If you provide live input to right (which makes sense as in case of most electronics) it inverses your output (Live in left).

Its wierd because if user is relying on single wiring, result would be short circuiting in case he provides live input via Right as per normal practice.

Raza can you pls. check if input and output convention of homage is same? i.e. Live wire in right socket hole and Neutral in Left.

Moreover have you checked for voltage output of your homage UPS? Is it around 220 V or less?

@Aliravian: Dimmers seems fine since they were working perfectly with my Local UPS.

@Raza0007: My UPS connects Neutral Input with Neutral Output (internally).

I bought clamp meter last night and my UPS output is 195-198 Volts.

I have noticed something else wierd about my UPS :). It’s output gives you Live in right socket hole (as mentioned on the UPS as well) but input takes Live via left. If you provide live input to right (which makes sense as in case of most electronics) it inverses your output (Live in left).

Its wierd because if user is relying on single wiring, result would be short circuiting in case he provides live input via Right as per normal practice.

Raza can you pls. check if input and output convention of homage is same? i.e. Live wire in right socket hole and Neutral in Left.

Moreover have you checked for voltage output of your homage UPS? Is it around 220 V or less?

[/quote]

Well, both input and output on my homage have ‘L’ on the left and ‘N’ on the right. There is only one difference, input has ‘E’ Earth on the top while output has ‘E’ on the bottom. So if you consider it as a 3-way socket then based on the location on ‘E’, I would say that output socket is inverted. If you take it as inverted then you need to flip the box to see the right and left and in that case output ‘L’ is on the right and ‘N’ on the left. I hope you understood what I said. Draw it on paper to understand better.

I have never put a meter on the output of my inverter so I do not know the exact output voltage. It says on the manual that Homage provides constant 230 V output. Since I do not experience any fluctuations while homage is running so I can assume that it provides constant 230 V.

Based on what you wrote earlier that your energy savers fluctuate then it might be because you inverter is not providing constant output voltage. You should have it checked by the dealer.

Well, both input and output on my homage have ‘L’ on the left and ‘N’ on the right. There is only one difference, input has ‘E’ Earth on the top while output has ‘E’ on the bottom. So if you consider it as a 3-way socket then based on the location on ‘E’, I would say that output socket is inverted. If you take it as inverted then you need to flip the box to see the right and left and in that case output ‘L’ is on the right and ‘N’ on the left. I hope you understood what I said. Draw it on paper to understand better.

[/quote]

Same here with my UPS. It means its a standard chinese feature. :) May be becuase they call it inverter. :)

Based on what you wrote earlier that your energy savers fluctuate then it might be because you inverter is not providing constant output voltage. You should have it checked by the dealer.

[/quote]

Mine gives constant output as well but its not 220 or 230. Its constantly 196 though on manual 220 is mentioned.

I will get it checked with dealer.

Mine gives constant output as well but its not 220 or 230. Its constantly 196 though on manual 220 is mentioned.

I will get it checked with dealer.

[/quote]

This is most likely the reason your fans run slow and lights flicker. All electronic equipment sold in Pakistan need at least 220 V to function properly. There might be some fault with your inverters output circuit… or it might be a result of a malfunctioning voltmeter used for the measurement. Have the voltmeter checked first.

my inverter out is E pin. when i connect tester to check positive negative, both lines are positive. but when wapda light is on, right is neutral and left is positive.

my inverter out is E pin. when i connect tester to check positive negative, both lines are positive. but when wapda light is on, right is neutral and left is positive.

Load shedding is back and I am facing homeage inverter blues :-(

My 100 amp battery does not last for more than 45 minutes on 2 fans :-( I have checked the battery and its okay. What else there needs to be rechecked? UPS recharging ?

Load shedding is back and I am facing homeage inverter blues :frowning:

My 100 amp battery does not last for more than 45 minutes on 2 fans :frowning: I have checked the battery and its okay. What else there needs to be rechecked? UPS recharging ?

[/quote]

I guess it is time to replace the battery. Look inside the battery and see if the top part of the plates are brown. Sometime people forget to check the water level in their batteries and the level drops below the plates. When plates are exposed to air they rust and turn brown. The part that has turned brown then does not conduct, only the lower part of the plate are left usable. This diminishes the actual Amp/hr of the battery.

check on the back of inverter IF theres a fast charging or normal charging Switch... set the switch on Normal charging ....if ur battery is not weak

I guess it is time to replace the battery. Look inside the battery and see if the top part of the plates are brown. Sometime people forget to check the water level in their batteries and the level drops below the plates. When plates are exposed to air they rust and turn brown. The part that has turned brown then does not conduct, only the lower part of the plate are left usable. This diminishes the actual Amp/hr of the battery.

[/quote]

battery is good, took it to the battery wallah for confirmation. Further, I regularly check the water level every 15 days and there is no rusting as well. Is there any way that i can check battery’s juice?