Homage UPS Inverter?

Is anyone here using Homage Inverter for UPS? I have a small question about it. I have got a 1000 VA Homage inverter and I am quite pleased with its performance. The only slight problem is that when electricity goes the fan speed drops down considerably, you have to get up and increase the speed to get it back to the level it was with normal electricity. Now the inverter is quite powerful as it can run four fans on full speed simultaneously, so what could be causing the significant drop in speed of an already running fan?

I know that the speed of fan will drop slightly because the UPS supplies modified sine wave which tends to reduce the RPM of motors, but the drop in my case is significant.

Can I fix this somehow? Any helpful suggestions? Has anyone else faced this problem?

Thanks.

p.s. I am using it with a 140 Amp/hr battery.

Does the speed drop happens when you have less load (e.g. with one fan only)?

If yes, then the ups is not able to support the load you are putting up to it. There could be a problem with the inverter stage.

Check with a voltmeter how many volts are you getting out of it....both under load and without load. If the two readings differ a lot, you need to get it checked.

^

Yes, currently I am the only one in the house who has turned the fan on, so mine is the only fan running. Are you saying that with just one fan running the inverter is not able to provide enough voltage to it? because soon we will have at least two fans running on it, maybe three. I do not have a voltmeter with me, I will have to get it checked by a professional. What I will do is I will turn on three fans before our scheduled load shedding and see if I have the same problem when UPS picks up the load.

I did not know Inverters are effected by less loads.

Okay, one more thing that might be relevant. The inverter has a "voltage range selector" setting at the back. Two settings "narrow" and "wide".

The inverter had a special note attached on it saying that for Pakistan "wide mode" is recommended. So we have it set at wide.

On the packing box however this is what it says.

A) Select "narrow" setting for general electrical appliances.

B) To save energy "wide" setting could be selected only when using some special load such as daylight lamp, fan etc

Now, I currently am unable to locate the manual that came with the inverter and it was explained on the manual what the voltage range was for the two settings. Hopefully, I will find that soon.

I think this setting might be causing the problem. I will ask the dealer, who sold me this to clarify on it. The wide range is also designed to accommodate for electrical fluctuations on the line in my opinion.

how do you charge the battery coz as far as i know inverter do not charge batteries by themselves as ups's.

With desi ups having square wave output, fan speed drop is significant...specially when the fan is set to low speed from dimmer. With modified sine wave, the speed drop should not be noticeable.

I am sure there is overload protection there. You can try setting it to narrow and see if that improves the speed of fan. Try to set the fan at highest speed before testing as dimmers also contribute to odd slow downs when voltage is not pure sinewave.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

how do you charge the battery coz as far as i know inverter do not charge batteries by themselves as ups’s.
[/quote]

Homage is a UPS, but it is based on an inverter tech as there is no transformer inside it. It charges the battery automatically when power is available and keeps the battery fully charged with over-charge protection.

I called it inverter because the official name printed on the cover is “Homage Inverter”.

With desi ups having square wave output, fan speed drop is significant…specially when the fan is set to low speed from dimmer. With modified sine wave, the speed drop should not be noticeable.

I am sure there is overload protection there. You can try setting it to narrow and see if that improves the speed of fan. Try to set the fan at highest speed before testing as dimmers also contribute to odd slow downs when voltage is not pure sinewave.

[/quote]

Yes, square wave is the worst, not only does it cause the fan speed to drop considerably, it also causes tube lights to glow in the dark. It is also harmful for your electronics. Modified sine wave will definitely slow down the rpm of motors as motors (both inductive and/or capacitive) are designed to work only with pure sine wave. For anything that has a motor built in like computer hard drive, electric machines, water motors, fans etc only pure sine wave is recommended. Also sometimes printers do not work well on modified sine wave and print garbage on the paper.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand. The UPS does have overload protection and it is not the issue of overload, as I only had one fan running on it. There might be a problem due to dimmer as you mentioned as the fan in the other room does not slow down that much, I checked today. I will have the dimmer in my room checked or replaced and see if this solves my problem.

I found the Homage manual and the narrow/wide is the input line sensitivity control. In narrow mode the UPS operates within 170-280 VAC input with 230 VAC output (transfer time 15ms). In wide mode it operates within 90-280 VAC input with 230 VAC output (transfer time 48ms). This setting is designed to accommodate voltage fluctuation on the input line. Wide is recommended for Pakistan because we have the occasional voltage fluctuation due to unreliable service.

Are you using Homage inverter as well?

I am also using Homage 1KVA UPS and very satisfied with its performance. I have yet to put fan load on it. I will check today and report back.

BTW, which battery are you using with it?

My brother is using JV Cinvertor (UPS indeed) with 110 Amp battery, he is pretty satisfied. he says that his invertor is has capability of 3 stage charging to battery. i do not know technical details, i will ask him for tech manual and then come back here to give views.

@Raza2007

Nope. I am using Desi ups for about three years now and its doing well. Just have to bear the weird sounds from the fan when UPS is online. One problem I have noted though is that it tends to bust the mini dimmers installed for fans.

I intend to invest in a modified sine wave UPS whenever this one gives up. When I bought it, modified sine wave UPS's were very expansive. The prices have come down now.

How much did this 1Kva Homage UPS cost you?

My brother is using JV Cinvertor (UPS indeed) with 110 Amp battery, he is pretty satisfied. he says that his invertor is has capability of 3 stage charging to battery. i do not know technical details, i will ask him for tech manual and then come back here to give views.
[/quote]

3 Stage charging is a very good option. It keeps the batteries in best shape with ultimate result being maximized battery life. For those interested in technical details…here is how it works (taken verbatim from here):

Bulk Charge - The first stage of 3-stage battery charging. Current is sent to batteries at the maximum safe rate they will accept until voltage rises to near (80-90%) full charge level. Voltages at this stage typically range from 10.5 volts to 15 volts. There is no “correct” voltage for bulk charging, but there may be limits on the maximum current that the battery and/or wiring can take.

Absorption Charge: The 2nd stage of 3-stage battery charging. Voltage remains constant and current gradually tapers off as internal resistance increases during charging. It is during this stage that the charger puts out maximum voltage. Voltages at this stage are typically around 14.2 to 15.5 volts.

Float Charge: The 3rd stage of 3-stage battery charging. After batteries reach full charge, charging voltage is reduced to a lower level (typically 12.8 to 13.2) to reduce gassing and prolong battery life. This is often referred to as a maintenance or trickle charge, since it’s main purpose is to keep an already charged battery from discharging. PWM, or “pulse width modulation” accomplishes the same thing. In PWM, the controller or charger senses tiny voltage drops in the battery and sends very short charging cycles (pulses) to the battery. This may occur several hundred times per minute. It is called “pulse width” because the width of the pulses may vary from a few microseconds to several seconds. Note that for long term float service, such as backup power systems that are seldom discharged, the float voltage should be around 13.02 to 13.20 volts.

I am also using Homage 1KVA UPS and very satisfied with its performance. I have yet to put fan load on it. I will check today and report back.

BTW, which battery are you using with it?

[/quote]

Good to know at least someone is using a homage inverter. I too bought it in Jan and this is the first time I have connected a fan to it. Let me know how your fan experience goes. It is a good inverter otherwise. I have checked it with four fans running full speed and they worked fine. of course with four fans you will need a higher capacity battery if you want to have them last for an hour. I just needed a UPS for two fans.

The battery I am using currently with it is the OSAKA IT-1000 140 amp/hr . This is the only battery I could find that was designed with thicker plates that is suitable for UPS. All others are normal car batteries, including the ones they released last summer with UPS 110, UPS 120 etc stamped on them. They are normal car batteries as well.

Which battery are you using?

[/quote]

3-stage charger is the best and the most expensive too. Homage has a built in 2-stage charger and is working great uptill now. The real test will be in summer months. Ask your brother if his UPS has trouble with fan speed or with fan dimmers.

@Raza2007

Nope. I am using Desi ups for about three years now and its doing well. Just have to bear the weird sounds from the fan when UPS is online. One problem I have noted though is that it tends to bust the mini dimmers installed for fans.

I intend to invest in a modified sine wave UPS whenever this one gives up. When I bought it, modified sine wave UPS’s were very expansive. The prices have come down now.

How much did this 1Kva Homage UPS cost you?

[/quote]

Not all desi ups are square wave. Have you checked yours. the desi dealers do not even know if their ups is a square wave or a modified sine waves as they just buy parts and put a ups together. yours might as well be a modified sine wave. The humming sound from fans will come both with a square wave and a modified sine wave, though it will be a lot more prominent with a square wave.

I think my problem is with the fan dimmers too. My UPS is connected two three rooms (2 bedrooms with one fan each and a living room with 2 fans). The fan speed goes down considerably in my room and one fan of the living room. The other fan in the living room and the other bedroom do not slow down that much and the speed decrease is acceptable. That leads me to the conclusion that the dimmers might be the culprit in this case.

Which company dimmers are you using? Mine are from “ITTEHAD” company. Anybody else using their dimmers?

I bought this 1KVA Homage UPS in Jan for Rs. 7500. The price might have gone up as the ups season is about to begin.

How did your dimmers got busted? I mean did they just stop working or did they start to work oddly?

Good to know at least someone is using a homage inverter. I too bought it in Jan and this is the first time I have connected a fan to it. Let me know how your fan experience goes. It is a good inverter otherwise. I have checked it with four fans running full speed and they worked fine. of course with four fans you will need a higher capacity battery if you want to have them last for an hour. I just needed a UPS for two fans.

The battery I am using currently with it is the OSAKA IT-1000 140 amp/hr . This is the only battery I could find that was designed with thicker plates that is suitable for UPS. All others are normal car batteries, including the ones they released last summer with UPS 110, UPS 120 etc stamped on them. They are normal car batteries as well.

Which battery are you using?

[/quote]

I bought my UPS for Rs. 7,000 last month from Blue area. Its dealer in pindi was willing to sell for 6,500.

I am using the left over Exide 100amp battery with it. Left over in a sense that my desi UPS was fried due to voltage fluctuation. I have now put a surge protector before the UPS and connected the grounds properly and keeping my fingers crossed.

I have yet to check the fan speeds since they require cleaning and I don’t want to mess up the rooms and invite the wrath of my better half.

Not all desi ups are square wave. Have you checked yours. the desi dealers do not even know if their ups is a square wave or a modified sine waves as they just buy parts and put a ups together. yours might as well be a modified sine wave. The humming sound from fans will come both with a square wave and a modified sine wave, though it will be a lot more prominent with a square wave.

I think my problem is with the fan dimmers too. My UPS is connected two three rooms (2 bedrooms with one fan each and a living room with 2 fans). The fan speed goes down considerably in my room and one fan of the living room. The other fan in the living room and the other bedroom do not slow down that much and the speed decrease is acceptable. That leads me to the conclusion that the dimmers might be the culprit in this case.

Which company dimmers are you using? Mine are from “ITTEHAD” company. Anybody else using their dimmers?

I bought this 1KVA Homage UPS in Jan for Rs. 7500. The price might have gone up as the ups season is about to begin.

How did your dimmers got busted? I mean did they just stop working or did they start to work oddly?

[/quote]

Oh yes mine is sqaure wave, no doubt about it. The sales people warned me against using it for my PC because its output is square wave which can damage PC switching power supply.

Fan dimmers in my home are no-name type. These are mini dimmers similar to switch-kid type. The problem I face with these is that after some time, they stop adjusting the fan speed. The fan either runs full speed or not at all. The salesman at the electronic shop told me this happens due to desi UPS. I haven’t had time to investigate myself but I believe its due to low quality components the manufacturers use. The variable resistance simply gives up after about a few weeks use.

I bought my UPS for Rs. 7,000 last month from Blue area. Its dealer in pindi was willing to sell for 6,500.

I am using the left over Exide 100amp battery with it. Left over in a sense that my desi UPS was fried due to voltage fluctuation. I have now put a surge protector before the UPS and connected the grounds properly and keeping my fingers crossed.

I have yet to check the fan speeds since they require cleaning and I don’t want to mess up the rooms and invite the wrath of my better half.

[/quote]

You got a good price. cheapest is not always better. Some Homage UPS being sold are second hand. People who bought them last year later sold them at the end of the season for various reasons. When I was looking for one there was a guy in Pindi who told me he can sell me a Homage for Rs. 6000. I never went to see him. You can tell by looking at the back of the UPS where you connect the battery leads. Normal color will be like that of copper but if it is used then there will be a color change around the two screws. Anyway, if you got it from Blue area you got a new one.

let me know when you connect the fans to your UPS, how they function?

Your battery is okay, just do not let it discharge too much, as car batteries get damaged by deep discharge and recharge.

For voltage fluctuation, the right device would be a stabilizer, not a surge protector. A surge protector only protects if there is sudden huge increase in voltage/current on the line.

Homage does have a wide input voltage tolerance from 90-280 V. So, it can survive normal fluctuations on your line.

Oh yes mine is sqaure wave, no doubt about it. The sales people warned me against using it for my PC because its output is square wave which can damage PC switching power supply.

Fan dimmers in my home are no-name type. These are mini dimmers similar to switch-kid type. The problem I face with these is that after some time, they stop adjusting the fan speed. The fan either runs full speed or not at all. The salesman at the electronic shop told me this happens due to desi UPS. I haven’t had time to investigate myself but I believe its due to low quality components the manufacturers use. The variable resistance simply gives up after about a few weeks use.

[/quote]

I had a desi UPS last year too. bought by my father through his contact. It was a horrible experience. The thing destroyed our previous battery. Over cooked it. Charger never stopped charging the battery.

The person who sold it to us did not know about square waves or modified sine waves etc. Once when he came to fix the ups to our house, I asked him about it, he tried to talk me down with technical mumbo jumbo. I told him I am an electrical engineer, at this he smiled and said he just puts the thing together and knows nothing about square wave and stuff. I was shocked to hear this.

Anyway, this Homage seems to turn itself off after charging the battery.

I planned to go to my local electric store to inquire about fan dimmers today, but could not find the time. I will do that tomorrow and see if I can get one that works well with modified sine wave.

Desi UPS's come in lots of flavor. Mine stops charging as well when battery is charged. My last battery (120Ah) lasted for about 2 years.

It helps if you have some background knowledge about these things to decide on which one is better.