Homage ups failed on very first day

I bought Homage HMX-3001 and 2 x 200 AH AGS batterries.

I told electrician i want double wiring for ups but he said it is not possible because your main wiring is indoor so he did single wiring for Homage inverter. Is he right?

After doing all wiring he started inverter on wapda. It seemed everything was fine. Then my father told him to check it on Generator as he was telling us earlier it can be charged on Generator as well. But when we tried inverter on generator it alarmed and then stopped working. I could see smoke coming from inverter. Electrician told fuse has shorted to satisfy us.

Today it will be sent to their customer care center for repairing because rni is giving 1 year warranty.

I don't now much about electricity wiring and ups.

1. Why inverter damaged on Generator while it was working fine on wapda?

2. Is inverter damaged because of single wiring?

Whose fault is it?

1. A good product should not fail at very first use so company should be blamed for producing such a unreliable product.

2. Electrician was not very confident. He said multiple times if there is even a single mistake, there is no chance (Ups will be damaged). I can conclude from his conversation that he has already damaged a number of inverters. Electrician should not have done experiment on a new product. I had not intentions to use it on Generator. Further he ignored the fault alarm. He might have not heard it because of the noise of Generator that was quite near but i heard it and i told the electrician but it was too late inverter was already damaged.

3. Was it my fault i selected wrong product that failed at very first use?

Made in china only God knows

According to R&I http://www.rni.com.pk/about.htm Homage is a local brand.

any thing short circuit in your house

Update: Shopkeeper has told it will be repaired soon and you can get it tonight or on Monday.

@rajaishrat

I don't thing short circuit happened. He installed 10 amp circuit breaker right before inverter as you can see in image.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2lj3hhy.jpg

Generator has a circuit breaker as well. Generator is attached to main supply board that has 2 circuit breakers.

If there is fault, UPS alarms and also shows on display. I was busy starting the Generator so don't know what was on display.

generators have often different frequency than wapda and especially ups.. ups are very sensitive to generator frequency..even best brands like APC and CP often donot work with some generators.. get your generator specs checked from company website.

Company has repaired it without any fee though i have to pay transportation charges to dealers.

It works on main/wapda but not giving output on batteries. Now electrician says it can run only on double wiring but that stupid electrician did single wiring. He never installed this model before. I have spent total Rs 4500 on wiring. A wp member mentioned this very model will work on single wiring here

Inverter is giving output. He checked by attaching lamp with the output.

Any solution???

@farhan_ds

Generator model is Loncin 3600DDC

Rated frequency: 50 Hz

[quote=“triple0, post:7, topic:20773”]

Now electrician says it can run only on double wiring but that stupid electrician did single wiring. He never installed this model before. I have spent total Rs 4500 on wiring. A wp member mentioned this very model will work on single wiring here

[/quote]

Most probably the electrician is greedy for some more money or he never installed any UPS. Any UPS can be made to work on single wiring.

Post some pictures of the back of UPS (showing AC input and output connectors) and I can guide you how to do that.

@Ijaz Ahmed

Here are photos

Photo 2

With the UPS disconnected from everything, check with a multimeter if 'N' terminal on AC input is internally connected with 'N' terminal of AC output ? If not connected, all you need to do is to connect them externally with a piece of suitable gauge wire. Now you can use Single Wire wiring scheme, taking output from AC out 'L' terminal only.

After this change, remember to connect the AC input with correct polarity. i.e. apply Live to 'L' terminal and the Neutral to 'N' terminal.

PS: Did your electrician install any circuit breaker at the AC input side of UPS and was this breaker a 2-Pole or a Single (1-Pole) breaker ? If he installed a 2-pole circuit breaker (disconnecting both AC wires from UPS) and you are checking the UPS by turning the breaker OFF (simulating a power outage) then the above mentioned Common Neutral wire scheme does not work because you have disconnected the Neutral wire at the AC input (using your 2-pole breaker)

@Ijaz Ahmed

Actually electrician also suggested us this option but was not going to do this until we give him green signal.

I don't have a multimeter. We can assume it is not internally connected. What is suitable suitable gauge wire? Can i use same wire that was used for inverter's wiring. Its size is 3/029. I have many different sizes of wires. Which one should i use?

As you can see in the image below there is already a black wire in input's N terminal. One side will go to this N terminal and the other side will go to output's N terminal that is empty because electrician did single wiring. Am i right?

Should i also disconnect batteries before doing this?

Yes, electrician installed a circuit breaker but it is a at output side of inverter. I don't know what type of breaker it is. Here is its snapshot.

You are right in figuring out how to make a common Neutral. Without doing this, you will have to do a two-wire wiring. About 3/29, it seems you chose a smaller size since your UPS is about 3KVA (am I right?). Better use a 6" piece of 7/29 or 7/36.

However, I would suggest you have a look at the UPS manual about wiring scheme. Did you get a manual and installation instructions ?

Thanks @Ijaz Ahmed

I did as you suggested. Now It is working on single wiring. Even AC input polarity was not right. I corrected it also.

Wiring is already done. 3/29 wire was suggested by electrician. It is not easy to change it. I shall have to remove more than 6 dozen nail cable clips. All fans, tube lights, lamps plus 3 sockets are attached to this single wire.

Yes, UPS is about 3KVA. They have given a manual. They have suggested wire

"Ac wiring must not be less than 12 AWG gauge copper wire and rated for 75 C or higher".

[quote=“triple0, post:13, topic:20773”]

Yes, UPS is about 3KVA. They have given a manual. They have suggested wire

"Ac wiring must not be less than 12 AWG gauge copper wire and rated for 75 C or higher".

[/quote]

12AWG is about 3.3 mm2, which unfortunately is not available as a standard local guage. The nearest is 7/36 which is 4 mm2 or the 7/29 which is about 2.5 mm2

You may not have any problem with your existing 3/29 wiring but in summer, as the load increases, you should be careful and check if 3/29 wires starts getting hot.

Sometimes saving a few bucks proves to be very expensive.

Always do double wiring as written on the manual. I had single wiring and my tv motherboard stopped working as it was connect with ups and when electricity power was restored after power outage it damaged the tv. local electricians are jahil people who just do the short cut and fry things.

99% of my home client has done single wiring and they don care what we tell them i.e to go for double wiring … they are like let it be and then we have to convert our ups to single wired

foolish idea to compare apc ups with imported modified sine wave ups.