High Voltage Drop - [Battery Problem]

Hi Everyone,

I purchased 175a Volta battery about 7-8 months back, since it was winter so didn't get to use it under full load.

Now [in summer] when I apply full load on it , it gives me really low back-up time (around 15 min on half load)(1).

After observing the acid, I noticed that the battery hasn't been getting full charge and maybe is going through Sulfation(2). The cell had grey in little quantity (muddy texture around it - some even floating) [small sulfate crystals ]

The battery would get fully charged under just ~30 minutes (It didn't warm up the battery) and the Charging rate was about 14v to 15v (I meausured that by placing the digital meter on the two cables of the UPS whilst it was connected to the battery terminal - Setting Digital Meter to 20v)

I changed the electrolyte at home and didn't notice any change but I did find out something .

I kept on observing the battery's voltage (under 2 fan and 1 Energy saver) - it started with 13v and in about 20 min it decreased to 11.5v , but just right then it went down to 6v and UPS started giving low battery Alarm . (From 11.5v to 6v within split second)

What possibly could be the Problem of Such Rapid decrease in voltage ?

All Cells Bubbles when charged, I don't think so they are the problem but who knows.

Your Help will be highly appreciated :)

(1) I am using 1000w local made UPS

(2)Sulfation occurs when a lead acid battery is deprived of a full charge

Voltage below 10.5V usually indicate a defective/ dead battery.

charging current of ups charger should not be greater than 15A in this case. Adjust this since it is adjustable on desi kit with variable. Flush the battery with distilled water 5 times and add AGS BATTERY water of 1250 gravity in it and then put it on slow charging. this job can be done by local battery shop nearby just tell him to flush the battery and use ags battert water not their local made whic is of poor quality. Adding bad quality electrolyte in new battery kill their plates within 2-3 months. which i think is the case with you and most probably your battery has gone and u have to replace it.

Although I am not answering the original question, I have similar problem. Electrolyte was changed by a local vendor and I know it was low quality as he got this from an underground drum. Can it destroy batteries?

My AGS 120x2 only give 20 minutes backup for 2 fans and an enery saver+ 1 PTCL modem.

When electrolyte was changed 4 months ago It used to to give 2 hours easily for 4-5 fans and 2 enery saver+ 1 PTCL modem.

The battery electrolyte has turned whitish and plates look rusted. Sulfation might have started as batteries rarely get fully charged under current load shedding. Should I just change batteries or try changing electrolyte?Suggestions please.

[quote=“yousaf465, post:2, topic:21397”]

Voltage below 10.5V usually indicate a defective/ dead battery.

[/quote]

Brother Yousaf - It doesn't indicate 10.5v initially but it starts dropping at constant rate from 13.8v to about 10v+ (in about 20 under just 1 or 2 fan load).

Once it reaches that point , it starts dropping at a quick pace like 0.5v / second .

[quote=", post:3, topic:21397"]

charging current of ups charger should not be greater than 15A in this case. Adjust this since it is adjustable on desi kit with variable. Flush the battery with distilled water 5 times and add AGS BATTERY water of 1250 gravity in it and then put it on slow charging. this job can be done by local battery shop nearby just tell him to flush the battery and use ags battert water not their local made whic is of poor quality. Adding bad quality electrolyte in new battery kill their plates within 2-3 months. which i think is the case with you and most probably your battery has gone and u have to replace it.

[/quote]

It is about 14v max but even at such rate the Acid starts to sort of boil unless I adjust the battery Full .

Should I flush it with tap water ? and once pouring it out , should I shake the battery ? or just let the water out on it own ?

I don't seem to find the charging rate screw on my UPS -

It has 4 in total

a) Battery Full

B) Battery Low

c) Fix Vol (I think this is output voltage when on load shedding)

d) Main Low (I think this is for Wapda)

[quote=“neziticokies, post:5, topic:21397”]

Brother Yousaf - It doesn't indicate 10.5v initially but it starts dropping at constant rate from 13.8v to about 10v+ (in about 20 under just 1 or 2 fan load).

Once it reaches that point , it starts dropping at a quick pace like 0.5v / second .

[/quote]

IMHO, you should change your batteries, but do take advice from other forum member too.

handling with electircal equipments should be carried out by trained person since it is dangerous. take the ups to a nearby electric workshop and ask the elctrician to adjust cuttoff voltave at 13.8V since 14 V is too high. you can use tap water for flushing purpose. Never shake the battery just pour water out by simply inverting/tilting it carefully. there should bae varible for charging currnet adjustment, may no able to see. u can ask the ups electrican to adust it also. Carefully tuning your desi UPS parametres by a good electrician can save u alot of fortune.