Help with new system

Hi,

This is my first post here and since its a call for help, I hope I don't end up annoying the fellow geeks. I'm building a new system and I don't plan on any major upgrades on it for the next 3-4 years. I'd love to future-proof it fully but the i7 with a motherboard alone would be more than 42000 RS, and money has been tight for some time now. My present system is so old :) I'm embarassed to share the specs, and also for that reason, I'm not in tune with the current HW trends.

Okay, this is what I've settled on after visiting galaxy online,

CPU: INTEL CORE 2 QUAD (either Q6600 or Q9300) I'd prefer Q9300 because it's supposed to be Q6600's replacement at the same price point but as always, we in Pakistan pay more. I'll probably go for Q6600 in GO stepping (its S-Spec is SLACR visible on the box back) because it uses less voltage and supposedly OC's better.

PSU: COOLER MASTER 600 WATTS EXTREME POWER SLI READY (RP-600-PCAR)

CPU cooler: Cooler Master either Z600 or V8

GFX: XFX GeForce PCX 9800GT 1GB (256-BITS) DDRIII

The harddrive will be a WD green 720GB , this may make me seem rich but I'm not, my parents are but I have a tendency to disappoint my elders :) . The way I figue it, with this setup I won't have to worry about future game requirements too much, atleast not for 3 years.

I need your help with a decent motherboard that would OC my Q6600 to 3 GHZ decently and is not too expensive. Also I have absolutely no idea what type ram to get, all I know is that according to what I've googled, xp won't support more than 3GB of RAM, so I'll get 2GB but I need some help selecting what type. Almost forgot, also a nice case with plenty of ventilation and fan slots, which would accomodate the Cooler Master Z600.

I live in Rawalpindi, is Galaxy my best bet for a good price? We have Regent computers here in Saddar, they're pretty good with support and warranties but most of their prices are 10-15% higher than Galaxy.

Well, thanks for taking the time to read this. I'll appreciate any reply.

thank you

why not go for Core i7?

^ Because its ridiculously expensive... You should never buy top of the line hardware unless you have money to throw out the window.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

xp won’t support more than 3GB of RAM, so I’ll get 2GB but I need some help selecting what type.

[/quote]

do u hav any soft corner for xp :P use vista n add as much ram as u like (4gb)

btw if u hav no intentions to upgrade till next 3 4 yrs go for ddr3 ram

Thanks for replying. As for i7, the cheapest I've found yet is Core i7-920 for RS 21,900, with just the mobo, it'd add up to 43,000.

I've heard that 32bit vista's got the same RAM problem but I'll give it a shot. As for the ddr3 RAM, sure but you gotta give me some pointers as to what RAM/mobo combo I should buy.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Thanks for replying. As for i7, the cheapest I’ve found yet is Core i7-920 for RS 21,900, with just the mobo, it’d add up to 43,000.

I’ve heard that 32bit vista’s got the same RAM problem but I’ll give it a shot. As for the ddr3 RAM, sure but you gotta give me some pointers as to what RAM/mobo combo I should buy.

[/quote]

not only Vista 32Bit ,any windows 32bit version will create problems if you use 4GB or more ram

it will never harness pwer of your full ram

but thanks to 64Bit windows Version getting 4GB or more ram isn’t a problem anymore you can use windows Vista’s 64Bit version if you got upto 4GB ram , though it may create some software compatibility problems because some of the old softwares don’t work well with 64bit windows.

Go for a 64-bit processor with an ASUS board and a DDR3 Ram

so is that it brothers, no relevant suggestion?