Help Setting up APC UPS

Hi Guys, i have APC 1500VA UPS how do i go about setting it up? like the sockets in it's rear are like those of a power supply and i plan to use two 120 amphere AGS batteries. Any idea how much backup they will give me?

Thanks and Take Care.

Those sockets at the back of APC UPS are called IEC320 sockets. If you want to connect this UPS to fans and lights at your home, you need to understand how a UPS switch the load from AC mains to Invertor.

1) APC UPS disconnects both the Live and Neutral wire thus completely isolating the load from AC mains (Fig-1 Type-A). APC uses a 2-pole relay for switching the load between AC mains and Invertor.

2) Local made UPS mostly use Fig-1 Type-B internal connections and only disconnect one wire and leave the other wire connected.

I hope that the diagrams/layouts explain everything. If you still have any questions, please feel free to ask while referring to the figures.

How UPS switch the load to AC/Battery

upsswitchingtypes.jpg

Plugs and Scokets for APC UPS

apciec320c14plugs.jpg

Wiring diagram for APC UPS

apcwiring.jpg

Thank you lots for the layout however it would be helpful if you could tell me what to do in layman terms like do this and do that etc just looking at this diagram i feel a little dizzy :)

And any idea how much backup i will get on two 120amp batteries? or two 135amp batteries?

[quote=“Frost, post:3, topic:15078”]

just looking at this diagram i feel a little dizzy :)
[/quote]

Then you should hire the services of some skilled person to wire up this UPS for you.

[quote=“Frost, post:3, topic:15078”]
And any idea how much backup i will get on two 120amp batteries? or two 135amp batteries?
[/quote]

Backup time depends upon the load and the state of batteries (fully charged or not) and finally on the conversion efficiency of the UPS. For backup time calculations, please see my previous post

Any Idea where i can get the IEC 320- C14 plug from?

[quote=“Frost, post:5, topic:15078”]

Any Idea where i can get the IEC 320- C14 plug from?

[/quote]

Where are you located? If Lahore, you can get one from Hall Road, Bismillah Market

You can go to old computers shops and ask about original/genuine power cables. Ask them for an extender cable to extend the power cable of your PC (don’t buy chinese, original Dell or other branded cables have more diameter). This extender cable has IEC320-C14 (male and female on each end)

^ The term loopback cable is also used in the market since such a cable is used to power the monitor from the PSU.

[quote=“Asad, post:7, topic:15078”]

^ The term loopback cable is also used in the market since such a cable is used to power the monitor from the PSU.

[/quote]

The term “Loopback Cable” makes more sense. Thanks

I am located in Karachi. Well that means i will have to cut the female end of the extender cable so i can connect it to the distribution box? also the electrician says this is an on-line ups hence has its own neutral so unlike a square wave / local ups a neutral wire will also need to be taken/ pulled into all the rooms. is there any way around this?

[quote=“Frost, post:9, topic:15078”]

Well that means i will have to cut the female end of the extender cable so i can connect it to the distribution box?
[/quote]

Yes, cut the female end and you will have a cable with male end. You can use this cable to obtain the output from UPS

also the electrician says this is an on-line ups hence has its own neutral so unlike a square wave / local ups a neutral wire will also need to be taken/ pulled into all the rooms.

[/quote]

He says just what I explained in Fig-1 Type-A.

is there any way around this?
[/quote]

Of course, there is a way to avoid the neutral wire. Just follow the diagram in Fig-3. In Fig-3, note that I have connected Neutral-Out to Neutral-In, so if you do like that, you will not need to wire neutral wire to each room.

I hope nothing blows up.. okay i will show this diagram to the Mr. Electrician, say any chance you could PM me your cell number so like if he does not understand the diagram i can call you and you can explain it to him? :) like the wires are expensive :(

[quote=“Frost, post:11, topic:15078”]

I hope nothing blows up… okay i will show this diagram to the Mr. Electrician, say any chance you could PM me your cell number so like if he does not understand the diagram i can call you and you can explain it to him? :) like the wires are expensive :(

[/quote]

Nothing will blow up if electrician understands and follows the diagram, and no alterations have been made to the UPS internally.

Sure, I am here to help. I have sent you my number by PM.

Finally i have the APC UPS installed, Thanks you lots and lots Ijaz for the above diagrams :) also there are a few things i wanted to ask:

Can you tell me how to reduce the annoying beep beep when light goes and Ups is running?

There is this weird smell filling up the room, its like a surf like smell and is coming from the batteries i think..

2 leds are on / lit in the load column (the left handside ones which have a pc logo)even when kesc light is coming i.e light is here. is that normal?

[quote=“Frost, post:13, topic:15078”]

Finally i have the APC UPS installed, Thanks you lots and lots Ijaz for the above diagrams :) also there are a few things i wanted to ask:

Can you tell me how to reduce the annoying beep beep when light goes and Ups is running?

There is this weird smell filling up the room, its like a surf like smell and is coming from the batteries i think…

2 leds are on / lit in the load column (the left handside ones which have a pc logo)even when kesc light is coming i.e light is here. is that normal?

[/quote]

Congratulations on successful installation.

1) The best way to get rid of the buzzer sound is to use the “Parachute” software from APC (for your particular model), install it on a PC and connect your UPS to PC using RS-232 or USB (whatever your UPS supports). Using this software, you can find configuration menu somewhere and then you can control if you want buzzer or not.

2) The left side LEDs show how much load is connected. These LEDs will show load even if UPS is on AC mains. 2 LEDs out of 4 means you have loaded our UPS almost 50%

[Edit]

Here is the guide on APC alarms/buzzer and how to disable it.

http://emea-en.apc.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/480/~/causes-and-solutions-for-a-beeping-apc-back-ups-product

Thanks for the link :) . Say i am googling up the parachute software but i am getting Powerchute software instead for APC.

I am not getting much backup at the moment is there anyway to check if the UPS is charging the batteries appropriately? like i have installed 2 AGS 135GX batteries.

[quote=“Frost, post:15, topic:15078”]

Thanks for the link :) . Say i am googling up the parachute software but i am getting Powerchute software instead for APC.

I am not getting much backup at the moment is there anyway to check if the UPS is charging the batteries appropriately? like i have installed 2 AGS 135GX batteries.

[/quote]

I am sorry, may be I didn’t read carefully. If you are finding PowerChute, then it must not be Parachute.

Regarding backup time, with let’s assume 03 fans the calculations will be as follows

56" Ceiling fan Power = 85W

VA rating for 01 fan = 85/0.6 ==> 141 VA (0.6 is the power factor of a typical fan without dimmer)

Worst Case VA rating for fan = 85/0.4 ==> 212VA (Power factor becomes 0.4 when fan is wired up with a dimmer)

Total VA for 03 fans = 212 x 3 = 636 VA

Conversion efficiency of UPS = 80% (Good UPS have 80-85% conversion efficiency)

Power drawn from batteries = 636/0.8 = 795 VA

Now you have 24V battery bank with 135AH batteries. In worst case, these batteries should give at least 100AH

Battery Capacity = 24V x 100AH = 2400VAH (or Watt-Hours)

Backup time = 2400/795 = 3 Hours

You should get at least 03 hours with 03 fans, if not then your batteries are not getting properly charged.

[quote=“Ijaz_Ahmed, post:2, topic:15078”]

Those sockets at the back of APC UPS are called IEC320 sockets. If you want to connect this UPS to fans and lights at your home, you need to understand how a UPS switch the load from AC mains to Invertor.

1) APC UPS disconnects both the Live and Neutral wire thus completely isolating the load from AC mains (Fig-1 Type-A). APC uses a 2-pole relay for switching the load between AC mains and Invertor.

2) Local made UPS mostly use Fig-1 Type-B internal connections and only disconnect one wire and leave the other wire connected.

I hope that the diagrams/layouts explain everything. If you still have any questions, please feel free to ask while referring to the figures.

How UPS switch the load to AC/Battery

upsswitchingtypes.jpg

Plugs and Scokets for APC UPS

apciec320c14plugs.jpg

Wiring diagram for APC UPS

apcwiring.jpg

[/quote]

the Diagrams of wiring are missing if any one can re-upload the pics or fix the link if possible. 2ndly i connected my APC with the laptop and it says 1000VA model while the casing says 1500VA ICH model is the board switched some how or is it normal???