Help regarding Setting up a VOIP gateway?

Hello Everybody,

I am thinking about setting up a voip gateway for STRICTLY PERSONAL use. So If I am out of the country I can call people in Pakistan thru my gateway.

Can someone tell me what kind of special equipment I need to set up such a gateway?

Can it be done using a cell phone attached to a windows machine? Or I need to buy a GSM modem or something?

What softwares do I need?

Again, I am the only one who is going to be using it, so I don't need special multi user setup or anything.

So If anyone has any experience regarding this setup , can you please guide me.

Thanks

P.S. I know its illegal in Pakistan to run such a gateway but I am only planning on using it for personal use and for very small volume of calls.

It doesn't matter what use you are gonna put it to. Illegal thing is illegal unless you obtain a permit/license.

From frequent reports in news, I gather that FIA is very active in busting such gateways and if , by any horrible chance, yours is found, then expect a raid on your local house alongwith some possible arrests.

Having said the above, I think all the illegal gateways raided by FIA were using multiple (perhaps a dozen or more) local telephone/GSM lines and yours, according to your requirements, will be using only ONE. That, I think, is very unlikely to raise any suspicion.

[quote=“SupMA5TER, post:2, topic:20909”]

It doesn't matter what use you are gonna put it to. Illegal thing is illegal unless you obtain a permit/license.

From frequent reports in news, I gather that FIA is very active in busting such gateways and if , by any horrible chance, yours is found, then expect a raid on your local house alongwith some possible arrests.

Having said the above, I think all the illegal gateways raided by FIA were using multiple (perhaps a dozen or more) local telephone/GSM lines and yours, according to your requirements, will be using only ONE. That, I think, is very unlikely to raise any suspicion.

[/quote]

Thanks , I already know the legal aspect. I just want some help regarding the setup.