Help regarding partitioning of External HDD

Two days back i bought a 500 GB external HDD... i need some assistance from u ppl regarding the partitioning of the disk.

Can i use disk partitioner thats avilable in XP installation disk or shall i go for another HDD partitioning software?

Another thing that i want to know about is that, any difference in HDD partitioning b/w external (USB operated) HDD and regular (internal) HDD?

I m waiting 4 assintance from u ppl...

I have Vista and partitioning is same for both internal and external drives (Vista disk manager looks same as XP disk manager).

download partition magic.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Two days back i bought a 500 GB external HDD… i need some assistance from u ppl regarding the partitioning of the disk.

Can i use disk partitioner thats avilable in XP installation disk or shall i go for another HDD partitioning software?

[/quote]

Windows Disk management should be enough to deal with it.

Another thing that i want to know about is that, any difference in HDD partitioning b/w external (USB operated) HDD and regular (internal) HDD?
[/quote]

No, apart from using some particular file system. For the most part, there isn’t any difference.

Windows Disk management should be enough to deal with it but it is different on Vista than the one on Vista. In Vista, Windows Disk Management would not allow creating extended partition and logical drives.

There is another command line facility on Vista called DiskPart which is very helpful in performing some operations like deleting partitions which can not be deleted with Windows Disk Management.

you just can not make partition if ur external hard disk does not support ntfs, as some usb disk only support fat32,

for more info follow the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system

there is limit in file size in fat32 i think its 1GB, but if i were u then my choice would be ntfs and you dont need any other software just use windows disk management, and on side i always enable compression so you can store more data on 500gb disk :)

FAT32 limits only 32GB size as the default cluster size is 32 KB. Use NTFS for larger disk size partitions and more security as the cluster size varies automatically w.r.t partition size. If you still wanna stick to FAT32 ( probably due to legacy OSes like Win98/Me or DOS ) partition it with partition magic.

Why would you partition an external HDD? o.O

Why would you partition an external HDD? o.O
[/quote]

You cant use a HDD until you partition and format it