Help over-clocking my Processor!?

Salam people!

I've got Intel C2D E4500 @ 2.20GHz with 2 mb cache & 800 MHz FSB.

Also the board is Intel D945GCNL.

PLZ Tell me all the pros & cons of over-clocking..! & how can I do it?

Buddy I doubt that you'll be able to overclock your processor coz you have got an intel motherboard which doesn't support it. Anyway try some overclocking software like softfsb etc. Secondly core2duo processors are built for overclocking so there won't be any damage to the processor due to overclocking.

So u r telling me that its fine to go with overclocking using some softwares ? Wont anything happen to mother board?

Becoz core2duo's are very much energy efficient and keep alot cooler then other older processors so there is almost no chance of anything happening bad.

First try to identify the internal clock generator (ICS) for your motherboard then try some overclocking software. ICS is written on a chip on your motherboard.

clockgen is also another ocloking software.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

so there is almost no chance of anything happening bad.
[/quote]

yeah if you go by software method nothing will happen because these softwares (clockgen surely does) freeze your PC when the selected frequency isn’t supported so no problem, but but but if you go by hardware method and overclock it too much then there are chances or you turning your processor into a geeky looking paper weight so you cant rule that out

OK than I'll try thru software

btw...only increase fsb speeds if you dont know what u are really doing. toying around with other settings might just do the damage...

and you should know that overclocking voids any warranty on components....

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

btw…only increase fsb speeds if you dont know what u are really doing. toying around with other settings might just do the damage…

and you should know that overclocking voids any warranty on components…

[/quote]

You can only change the fsb through software as your board doesn’t support changing anything else like voltages, ram to cpu raio etc. Secondly Don’t worry about warrenty it aint gonna be void until u do something really very very bad.

I think what would be some awesome information is the pro's and cons of Software and Hardware pitted against each other. For both him and me Lolz

Like Baber said C2D uses latest 40nm tech which is power efficient resulting in less heat. But while you are trying to OC your processor, I would recommend you to Use a system temperature monitor to ensure your processor doesnt gets too hot during summer days or when processor is used at 100% for long time like during gaming. I would also recommend aftermarket heat sinks and fans for CPU if you want to OC it even further to get maximum juice out of your processor. But it depends on your RAM and mobo too as they can be a bottleneck in OCing.

One last thing ; Go step by step taking small steps i.e. increase clock speed gradually and then monitor the system for stability and temps. If you are sure your system is stable then increase speed further. For more help regarding overclocking check overclocking.net. They got tons of info regarding different processors and mobos.