Help needed to clean up the heatsink of my Laptop

i need to clean up the heatsink of my Tohsiba laptop(which is clogged with lint/dust) causing it to heat up , the procedure looks quite easy, remove two screws of flap covering heatsink,the unscrew 4 more screw of the heatsink it self,unlock the processor from its socket and then pull the heatsink(when pulling the heatsink out the processor will come out attached to it,coz of thermal glue(thats the scary step for me,what if processor pins get damaged..) and i don't have thermal glue either which would be required to be reapplied on processor after heatsink is cleaned.

Can any one guide me from where i should get it cleaned from?

Perhaps an authorized Toshiba service center will be your best bet. Or any of the repairing shops.

I did clean and re-applied the thermal grease (bought the normal silicon one) for my HP laptop. I had to take the whole laptop apart to reach the heatsink though. In the process, I managed to scratch a cable/strip of touchpad, but replaced it with a local tailored strip from an electronic shop (they deal with tvs/stereos etc.)

Just be careful and patient if you're going to do it on your own. Make sure you have plenty of time, enough lighting and you're relaxed.

believe me cleaning Split A/Cs filter is easy, changing automobile's engine oil n oil filter is easy but cleaning a laptop's heatsink is hard, i fear that i might some how ruin the processor,does normal silicon thermal grease work fine or should i have to buy artic silver? how much would these cost and where could i buy one. if i don't apply thermal grease properly would that cause any irreversible damage to the processor?

take it to 2nd floor opposite uzma, clifton and in the galis to the left and right there are shops>>they will do it for you>>do it at your risk though and try to get them to do it in front of you..

i would prefer doing it my self, where can i find artic silver or normal silicon thermal grease(is silicon sealant used to seal vehicle's gasket same thing?)

i have temporarily fixed the problem by vacuuming the air intake fans below the laptop which have improved the heating problem for time being but still will attempt to clean the heatsink to cool it down completely

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

i would prefer doing it my self, where can i find artic silver or normal silicon thermal grease(is silicon sealant used to seal vehicle’s gasket same thing?)

i have temporarily fixed the problem by vacuuming the air intake fans below the laptop which have improved the heating problem for time being but still will attempt to clean the heatsink to cool it down completely

[/quote]

In computer stores, obviously. I would suggest some shop if you were in Rawalpindi. Just look around, you’ll find it. It’s common!

You should use Arctic Silver 5 and clean the old thermal paste with something proper which they suggest. The best will be Arcti Clean. I had stock of both but I am out right now. Someone in Lahore does have some stock so you should get in touch with him. Can give you his number if you want.

As for doing the cleaning, you should do it your self. The processor will not come out attached to it! Yes its possible if the thermal paste is all dried up and hard. Here is what you should do, run your laptop for an hour or two. Or run it under full load for 30 mins, then unplug everything, take out the battery and do the procedure to remove and clean the processor area right away. Why? Because the thermal paste if dried will heat up and melt AND you should not remove the heat sink by direct pull up pressure. Move the heat sink to right/left (zig zag movement) while applying low pull up force. The heat sink will detach it self from processor without the processor sticking to it. :)

Hope that helps & to my knowledge, AS5 is not available in shops here. Other thermal pastes might be.

Also if you don't want to remove the heatsink you could try cleaning it in place with a paint brush. The small kind used for watercolor painting. You can use that to clean other parts of your pc too like the mainboard.

would prefer doing it my self, where can i find artic silver or normal silicon thermal grease(is silicon sealant used to seal vehicle's gasket same thing?)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

very few computer shops carry arctic silver but normal silicon thermal grease can be found in saddar regal in galis and ofcourse co-operative market saddar as well>>be sure to use a good one because it is available in all kinds of qualities from a 25 rs small box to a more expensive one>>

you can also use the thermal grease available seperately in a small plastic sacket with p3 fans and heatsinks available for 150 rs>>but you will have to buy the heatsink fan as well...

isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) to clean old thermal grease, would it be available at medical store/pharmacy ?