Help me Regarding hard drive

I will purchase a new hard in few days and i want only 1 tb capacity ...soo guys give me Ur recommendation which brand to choose ....seagate or WD(Blue cavier) or any other brand........ keeping in ur mind i want performance..... i am not the brand consious .....and guys i am in lahore ....and give also the idea about the price.....i dont know the price of WD(Blue cavier 1TB)....

thanks...

Sorry for poor English....

Between wd blue and seagate barracuda buy the one that is cheaper. I think seagate is cheaper so go for it.

edit: Just want to add that you should avoid wd green.

As far as my personal experience is concerned. I have had issues with WD but never a single issue with Seagate. So I would recommend Seagate.

I'd advise to stay away from WD Black as well. Bought one last year, already started having problems with it. Pauses and jerks here and there. My previous hard drive was seagate which I used for 5 years and later gave to my friend for usage. It's still working flawlessly. Don't buy WD. Seagate should be better. Wish there was toshiba or samsung here as well.

make sure if you buy seagate then it should be a hard drive which is 12 generation. Seagate 11th generation hard drives had a lot of problems with them.

This number should be printed on the hard drive 7200.12. The 12 indicates that it is 12 th generation.

^ what he said is true. If you could wait a big longer, I believe the 13th generation hard drive will be arriving shortly. It has some new tech, which is meant to reduce the strain on the hard drive media controller. Or you could get a 12th generation straight away. Just make sure that it's 7200rpm.

Friends as u suggested the seagate brand i see the rates at galaxy's web i think i should go 4 1500GB as it is big capacity and a little Difference price then 1000TB(max 1500RS).....what u all say at my new point..... :-)

and how much time in coming the next generation any idea how much months left....

--

If your motherboard has a SATA 6Gb controller, then wait for SATA 6Gb compatible drives to come to Pakistan and you will get double the speed that you can get from SATA 3 Gb

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

If your motherboard has a SATA 6Gb controller, then wait for SATA 6Gb compatible drives to come to Pakistan and you will get double the speed that you can get from SATA 3 Gb
[/quote]

No that is not correct. SATA is just the interface between the HDD and the motherboard. Just because you upgrade to a faster interface doesn’t meant that you overcome the limits of mechanical hard drives. HDDs can barely touch the limits of SATA 1.5 much less SATA 3 or SATA 6. SATA 6 was developed with SSDs in mind.

^A SATA 6 HDD must be faster than SATA 3

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/internal-storage/barracuda-xt-kit/

^A SATA 6 HDD must be faster than SATA 3

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/internal-storage/barracuda-xt-kit/

[/quote]

SATA is just the interface speed. It says nothing about how fast the hard disk can actually read/write data. Because a hard disk is made up of moving parts its not very fast. Only very high end hard disks can exceed sata 1 speeds and even then just barely.

"As of April 2010 mechanical hard disk drives can transfer data at up to 157 MB/s,[7] which is beyond the capabilities of the older PATA/133 specification and also exceeds a SATA 1.5 Gbit/s link. High-performance flash drives can transfer data at up to 308 MB/s which exceeds a SATA 3 Gbit/s link.[8]"

source:

Go for Seagate Barracuda

Moreover, solid state drives are the next generation drives that can store your data or can be used for 30 years if they don’t get burnt. They can tolerate the jerks of rocket cars and don’t get damaged. But these are much expensive.

Even kingston is providing life time warranty for their memory cards…imagine, life time data safety

All old fashioned hard disks are not reliable as a hard jerk can damage them or data inside them will get corrupted.

[/quote]

Agreed. But SSDs are taking a long time to get to mainstream pricing. I have been deferring purchases of a new hard drive for the last 1 year after my WD died twice (even after getting new one in warranty!) but they are still expensive.

Actually SSDs currently have a shorter lifespan than hard disks. There are only a fixed number of times that you can write to flash memory cells and that limitation results in the shortened SSD lifespan.

Actually SSDs currently have a shorter lifespan than hard disks. There are only a fixed number of times that you can write to flash memory cells and that limitation results in the shortened SSD lifespan.
[/quote]

I agree with you that they may have shorter life span (its still a new technology that will improve over time). But i think that will be kind of traded off in terms of reliability. Since these days HDDs are so unreliable that you can buy a new one, install it in your system, use it a few months and boom! Its dead! That really sucks. :(

I am thinking of a configuration where we could have a smaller SSD (somewhere like 40 GB) for OS and other programs and a proper and larger HDD (like 1TB) for games, movies, songs and other media. That way the system will run faster, boot faster and will be more reliable. What do you guys think?

I agree with you that they may have shorter life span (its still a new technology that will improve over time). But i think that will be kind of traded off in terms of reliability. Since these days HDDs are so unreliable that you can buy a new one, install it in your system, use it a few months and boom! Its dead! That really sucks. :(

I am thinking of a configuration where we could have a smaller SSD (somewhere like 40 GB) for OS and other programs and a proper and larger HDD (like 1TB) for games, movies, songs and other media. That way the system will run faster, boot faster and will be more reliable. What do you guys think?

[/quote]

That “is” the configuration being used by the OEMs.