Help: I Want to buy a Digital Camera , Suggestions plz

AOA ...

Frenz i wish to buy a Digital camera with in a Range of of 7000 to 10000 Rs . kindly suggest me which brand and model u think is best in this range .. Moreover it should be easily available in local market , Particularly in ISB/RWP or Lahore ...

Waitting for your suggestions friends ...

Regards ..

canon is really good for that much money.sony is good too but charges money for the brand name. panasonic is also a good choice.

AOA ...

Thanks Brother noise to reply ... but i want u all to suggest me the best in this range with Model number .... if i myself have to make choice among all these vendors why am i looking for friends advice ???? so do suggest me particular Brand and Model Plz .

Regards

Don't know any model. But my suggestions are

1. Don't go for more than 3 MP, until and unless you want to make posters out of you pic

2. Instead go for picture quality

3. Check the picture quality of night mode

4. Camera performs well with less daylight or not?

5. Shutter speed

6. Pictures are shaky ?

7. Storage speed?

8. Last but not the least, is the firmware manageble?

canon is my choice

check this out for a complete review

http://blog.enginehour.com/2008/08/my-new-digi-cam.html

3mp has become a choice of the past.

not satisfied with these replies :( ... I am sorry ... but thanks at least you did bother yourselves to reply ...

I agree a camera must have qualities mentioned by Brother YourOnline but which camera does really posses all these , which manfacturer , which model ... whenever i vist mart to buy i m presented with alot of models of same manfacturer .. which one should i chose if price difference is minor ???

Brother xaheer thanks for your reply and suggesting Canon but if u could mention model and price .. it wud be a little more helpful for me ...

Samsung 5.0 megapixel digital cameras are available at this price.

I would suggest any of them.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

not satisfied with these replies :( … I am sorry … but thanks at least you did bother yourselves to reply …

I agree a camera must have qualities mentioned by Brother YourOnline but which camera does really posses all these , which manfacturer , which model … whenever i vist mart to buy i m presented with alot of models of same manfacturer … which one should i chose if price difference is minor ???

Brother xaheer thanks for your reply and suggesting Canon but if u could mention model and price … it wud be a little more helpful for me …

[/quote]

Sorry dude, if i would have known it myself i would have happy to share. i cant refer to something i dont know much. but my guide can help you select the best in your range. :)

For Casual Photography, just get Canon with IS (Image Stabilization). Check the Canon Link shop in Blue area next to Rahat, I think at least one of IXUS series should be for around 10000

Go for NIKON L16, its price is 9600 and 7.1 megapixel camera. You can check out its specs online

I purchase it from A4 tech computers rawalpindi.

Canon has opened their franchise, Canon Link, in big cities as well. Though I reckon the prices will be a little bit higher than other Camera shops, but you'll get proper warranty for that matter.

I wouldn't suggest to get a Panasonic.

I bought Canon A590 IS one week ago for 13500.

picture111.jpg

Canon cameras are known for their awesome Macro Capabilities. Most of them offer focus up to 1cm.

People who say not to buy Panasonic, don’t know what they are missing. The company have always given quality products with affordable prices. Just look into my earlier reply, choose a Panasonic camera and look at its reviews. I didn’t just write the list with Panasonic and canon cameras because I like them more than others. The fact is that both brands are at each others throats. Panasonic is edging more cause of its price, features ratio is better than Canons, but only slightly.

As for warranties I called the official Canon suppliers in Pakistan, and they said that cameras was not their specialty, but they may have to send the camera else where to fix it. Hence that makes Panasonic and Canon equals. Official Camera shops in Karachi are Nikon and Olympus. These shops have proper technical staff unlike Canon and Panasonic. I don’t know if Sony have proper technical staff here. All brands warranties work in Karachi. (Don’t know about other place)

So Mr.Asad-Ahmad, my suggestion is that you try to keep up with times, and give an update to your suggestions.

To abdulsami. Good for you. On October 2008 I couldn’t get it for less than Rs.16500. You may need a noise reduction software to remove noise when settings go above ISO 400.

[/quote]

There is a custom firmware available for Canon Power Shots. It’s Called CHDK, and it really unveils the real power of your Camera. Unlocks many features such as increase the shutter speed, ability to shoot in RAW. Gives you the ability to write scripts for it and extend functionality by many fold. http://chdk.wikia.com/ Look at new capabilities after CHDK http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CameraFeatures

Imagine taking an Auto Exposure Bracketing HDR photo with a Point & Shoot? or program your camera to take 32 images so that you can apply stacking technique to reduce noise without loosing detail which normal noise reduction software will let go.

I considered getting the camera through some one coming from the US but the warranty will not be entertained here. They don’t come with the International warranty.

[/quote]

First of all, from where was this post quoted? I don’t see it in the topic.

Anyway, I was just giving an opinion based on personal usage of Canon, and my knowledge of Panasonic and what I would look for in a camera. I have never seen anyone saying that Panasonic’s are on neck and neck with Canon, but people have different priorities and knowledge which guides their decision. In short, the things I would not like in a Panasonic are not enough aperture range in most of their cams (starts from around F3.3), no optical viewfinder, lack of manual controls (though some Panasonic’s have got manual controls), and their IQ is not as good as Canon IMHO. There might be some exceptions.

At the end it comes down to the consumer and what they are looking for, and how they will be using their camera. But as far as parent Company goes, I would pick Canon any day over a Panasonic, they have a huge experience in making durable cameras, and especially point and shoot.

@ Asad-Ahmad:

I am sorry that I had offended you in any any way, and that the admin felt that I had started a flame war, and hence they had me removed from the userlist. But please believe me thats not what I had in mind. I merely wanted to point out, that by saying

"I wouldn't suggest to get a Panasonic."

you are indicating to others that Panasonic cameras are not good. Thats why I had suggested that you keep up with the times. Really go online and check their reviews. Go to Amazon as well and check the user reviews.

As for the Aperture range being F3.3 in some Panasonic cams, well the Panasonic FS3 and it is 2.8 - 5.1. As compare to Canon A590 (F2.6-5.1) the Panasonic is much cheaper in the market, and thats my entire point, the money factor. A normal consumer like leo-hai doesn't need manual controls, or has enough time to edit pics on Photo editing software. people like him need a camera that works for him(Both have great (IA)IntelligentAutomatic).

Please don't take this the wrong way, next time do provide us with proper examples, by taking name of the products and not just the company.

In the end when last you said is true:

"At the end it comes down to the consumer and what they are looking for, and how they will be using their camera."

My statement was self explanatory I guess, implying that as far as my suggestion and advice go, I would recommend Canon over Panasonic, no offence to Panasonic of course :D. And as I have mentioned, I have my reasons for that. You are right that a novice doesn't care about manual controls, and price factor, but on that note, Panasonic's depreciation would be a lot more than Canons, at least in Pakistan, and having manual controls is absolutely a blessing in some scenarios.

As for the Aperture range being F3.3 in some Panasonic cams, well the Panasonic FS3 and it is 2.8 - 5.1. As compare to Canon A590 (F2.6-5.1) the Panasonic is much cheaper in the market, and thats my entire point, the money factor.

[/quote]

FYI Canon A590 IS has 2.6 - 8.0 Aperture range. Also 2.6 is better than 2.8.

I want a digital camera for both video and stills for a 12-year-old kid

price must be less than 10k

any suggestion?

[/quote]

Which market are you going to buy it from and what cameras are being offerd to you ?