Help: Cost-effective Home Server

Hello folks,

I am planning to build a low cost home server which will serve me following purposes.

- File Server: Mostly Data & Media files

- Download: Bittorrent and HTTP/FTP

- Jboss Application Server

- Subversion Repository

- LAMP Server

- Plenty more things related to WEB*

I'm in need of serious help to decide which option is better as for this kind of system. Mainly I will be using it for my Development Server and File Server. I am also planning to move my website(1/7)* to this server in future as I will host complex applications. I think it will be cheaper than a dedicated machine. But, that's for later..

I need this server to be online 24x7. So, I need it to be less power consuming. I've searched through net and found that people use their NAS Devices to perform some of these tasks. But, I know that any cheap NAS will not be able to handle all this.. or will it? (if then please mention)

Another compact option is a Atom Based Mini-ITX system. (like Zotac ION etc, Intel's 945etc Mobos for Atom) .. Is there any possibility to get a Mini-ITX case over here in Pakistan? Will it be cost-effective?

There is also an option to use the old components to build a headless home server. But, I don't have so much space to accommodate it.

Please help me building this system. Thank you very much in advance.

Why not use a powerful enough laptop? It will consume less power than an equivalent PC.

^ yep a small netbook should be fit for the job

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Why not use a powerful enough laptop? It will consume less power than an equivalent PC.
[/quote]

Yes. What with all the loading shedding going around in Pakistan? Will you be able to sustain a PC on a UPS for hours ?

What connection would you be using for it? A 4mbps PTCL with 100KB / sec upload speed? I don't think it's a good idea. Just go for a VPS if you can't afford a dedicated server.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

What connection would you be using for it? A 4mbps PTCL with 100KB / sec upload speed? I don’t think it’s a good idea. Just go for a VPS if you can’t afford a dedicated server.
[/quote]

Yes. Whole range of them available now a days in very reasonable prices.

When you are looking for 24/7 uptime , dont even think about building a mini data center in your home , when you know you live in a country called Pakistan. Electricity or Internet , both can go out any time for any length.