HEC to acquire state-of-the-art computer network!

Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. ("Huawei"), provider for next generation telecommunications network solutions for operators around the world, has been selected by The Higher Education Commission (“HEC”) to deploy the next generation Pakistan Education & Research Network ("PERN2"). This network is expected to be implemented by early 2009.

The cutting-edge PERN2 network will use Huawei’s Quidway NE80E/40E and as part of the project a 10G IP/MPLS backbone will be built and the campus network bandwidth will be upgraded from 2Mbps to 1Gbps. As a result, students and scholars will be able to explore the internet at a much higher speed, use video conferencing facilities, as well as VoIP, remote E-education and digital E-library. In the future, the PERN2 network will also interconnect with China CERNET2, Internet2 and other Education Networks.

The PERN2 network will:

- adopt MPLS VPN technology to isolate different services

- enhance security

- provide good quality of service

- support IPv6

The network will also become the first next generation education and research networking in South Asia using 10G IP/MPLS with the IPv6 feature.

Source: http://www.pcmag-arabic.com/NewsDetail.aspx?id=1585

LOOL, Good news ;), esp. for the folks that download torrents on Uni computers :P

Old news. This was circulating on one of NUST's mailing lists last week. I am surprised it took so much time to be posted here. Admittedly, the thought didn't even cross my mind.

Torrent downloaders will not benefit since most p2p activity (including torrents) is either totally blocked or severely restricted/limited.

^ Got no access to NUST. :P I was searching through Google News when came across the said article and posted it right away.

Huawei equipment!???

great choice there, you punks at HEC. ugh, ppl are tired of teh sick HUAWEI sh1t they've got in the form of vptcl phones and they're gonna sign a contract (or already did?!) with a cheap company once more.

happy digital days ahead, through out the nation!

^ Got a Huawei vptcl phone here. No problems with it. Using it since more than a year now. Net speeds are good with it but only when people fall asleep, mean to say its PTCL problem, they don't give more servers/bandwidth on the back end then don't expect the phone sets to provide good speeds etc. either.

Does it mean that every campus will get 1 Gbps? And is that entirely for internet?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Does it mean that every campus will get 1 Gbps? And is that entirely for internet?
[/quote]

I doubt that. It will most likely be the speed for Inter-University networks and research labs.

^ It also mentions Internet

I doubt that. It will most likely be the speed for Inter-University networks and research labs.

[/quote]

Hmmm. But still it should be faster than the current internet facility at universities.

^ Maybe yes, maybe no.

@Asad

Which nust institute and batch ur from

^ Why?

^ Why?
[/quote]

He wants to stalk you.

Would I have to get a restraining order now... :rolleyes:

:D

restraining_order.png

Heh.

I'm from NUST as well... but I don't recall this mailing list forward.

^ No wonder. Most of NUST's traditional colleges like E&ME, MCS, CAE, PNEC etc are pretty much tech-retards who don't adopt latest tech easily. Then again, I wouldn't ever call mailing lists to be anything new so you should get the gist...

I wonder which specific universities have really been pushing for this network upgrade and who will benefit most from it.

Frankly, PTCL should be in dire need for this tech upgrade... :/

I have absolutely no idea how outdated their lovely "bling" is..

Anyway, Asad, I'm not in any of the colleges you mentioned :) but we do have a mailing list... a Yahoo Groups one.

Frankly, PTCL should be in dire need for this tech upgrade… :confused:
[/quote]

Yes, but to do that they will have to spend their profits for improvement. imagine that! :rolleyes:

Anyway, Asad, I’m not in any of the colleges you mentioned :) but we do have a mailing list… a Yahoo Groups one.
[/quote]

NIMS? IME? SEECS? CCT&SM? That military one for civil engg in Risalpur… I am not sure of the name.