HEC Announces 2012 University Rankings - 23rd Feb

http://www.thenewstribe.com/2012/02/23/hec-announces-ranking-of-pakistani-universities/#.T0Zzt_XiLIU

So, after 6 years HEC has re-released the univeristy rankings. What purpose the University ranking serves? I mean, they placed COMSATS first in the category of Computer Science/IT, COMSATS accepts every other student who dont get admission into a more reputable University. So, the graduates trained by COMSATS, will surely not be comparable to graduates of NUST/GIKI etc. Employers also prefer graduates of uni's like NUST and GIKI. So, what exactly is the purpose of the ranking? Will it help in employment in Pakistan or Abroad?

[quote=“pure_evil, post:, topic:”]

Will it help in employment in Pakistan or Abroad?

[/quote]

NO

This is not from a credible institution under the supervision of someone worthwhile unlike the past era under Dr. Atta-ur-Rehman when it was a respected and trusted institution.

This is under the current corrupt government which has zero credibility. That infamy extends to this particular institution too. I wonder if there was a 10% commission to get on the list. :wacko::unsure:

[quote=“Asad, post:3, topic:16550”]

This is not from a credible institution under the supervision of someone worthwhile unlike the past era under Dr. Atta-ur-Rehman when it was a respected and trusted institution.

This is under the current corrupt government which has zero credibility. That infamy extends to this particular institution too. I wonder if there was a 10% commission to get on the list. :wacko::unsure:

[/quote]

there has to be…its the case with most of the Ranking organisations…take QS ranking for instance…If you’re not subscribed to them they’ll simply not enlist you…whereas upon their ratings most of the institutes brag about their credibility…

There is no more access to institutional international journal articles provided by HEC any longer. :(

[quote=“Myelin, post:5, topic:16550”]

There is no more access to institutional international journal articles provided by HEC any longer. :(

[/quote]

That’s a pity. :mellow:

One time I got the notion that HEC had finally got its spirit and now the higher education would be given its due importance in Pakistan's policies in future. But I was so wrong. Now back to good ol' beggar HEC..:(

will any one please share the list here

Khurram Shahzad

Alaziz Online

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Ranking criteria for the universities include student intake as well as graduates produced at BS, MS and PhD levels, number of qualified faculty members, student-teacher ratio, quality of research produced and published in journals of international repute, physical and technological infrastructure, international collaborations, resource generation and sports facilities.
[/quote]Extremely flawed criteria…so more graduates produced = higher ranking?

Should take into account how quickly and how many of these produced ‘graduates’ are getting jobs related to the field of their study.