Hdd problems....need help!

hello everyone,

i need your help because my hdd is giving me problems.

i bought a brand new seagate 320gb sata 2 drive from media shop yesterday, the problem is that when i'm using my pc, it takes some time to open simple applications like my computer, folders, firefox etc. Sometimes, the pc hangs for 3-4 seconds but my mouse moves.

please keep in mind that i installed windows on this pc yesterday and my specs are intel core 2 duo 2.4ghz with 2GB ram

also hdd-health shows that the health of my hdd is 60%

86086354ux7.png

is hdd-health showing correct information ? i'll go tomorrow to claim warranty but do you people know any other tests which will help me confirm that my hdd is dying out :S

Thanks

try setting ur desktop resolution to the lowest possible settings like 640 x 400 and color depth to 16 bit and then chk if u still get the delay.. if yes... then its hdd or may be some process running in the bg if no u need to tweak ur settings a little

maybe a power problem!

try removing extra peripherals from your pc and see if it gives you a problem or not

Do not use HDD Health. Use Seagate's own software (Seagate Disk Tools, IIRC) to scan the HDD and determine the results. If it advises you of S.M.A.R.T. test failure, that is valid ground for claiming warranty.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

maybe a power problem!

try removing extra peripherals from your pc and see if it gives you a problem or not

[/quote]

i don’t think it’s a power problem, i’ve got a 460w cooler master psu, with only the dvd-rom, mobo and hdd attached.

the hdd also makes a mosquito like sound, something similar to this

and seldomly makes a loud ticking sound

Do not use HDD Health. Use Seagate’s own software (Seagate Disk Tools, IIRC) to scan the HDD and determine the results. If it advises you of S.M.A.R.T. test failure, that is valid ground for claiming warranty.
[/quote]

the long dst test failed but the S.M.A.R.T test passed, what do you think of this ?

there is definately something wrong with the h disk,,,claim warranty

^^ Read up on warranty policy on Seagate's site.

got it changed :D

got it changed :D
[/quote]

hand to hand replacement?

[/quote]

yup i think seagate is offering that if you can prove that sumthin is wrong with your HDD

yup i think seagate is offering that if you can prove that sumthin is wrong with your HDD

[/quote]

seagate offers it but not many local vendors!

some offer it for the first few days after the hdd is bought

[/quote]

no, he told me to come the next day.

no, he told me to come the next day.

[/quote]

that is called hand to hand replacement in PK , normally they take 15-60 days for warranty

oh, silly me, i thought hand to hand replacement was when the shopkeeper takes the bad piece of hardware from you and immediately gives you a new one on the spot.

oh, silly me, i thought hand to hand replacement was when the shopkeeper takes the bad piece of hardware from you and immediately gives you a new one on the spot.
[/quote]

well ya it is but they need to arrange for the hardware

Galaxy Computer's owner explained (in person) that this

"hand-to-hand" warranty only applies if you buy a PC built

by Galaxy Computers, along with the Seagate HDD. Not

if you just bought a Seagate HDD alone.

It doesn't sound too kosher and incidentally, I am looking

to buy a big Seagate HDD myself, shortly.

Sheikh 'Say What ?' Chilli

Galaxy Computer’s owner explained (in person) that this

"hand-to-hand" warranty only applies if you buy a PC built

by Galaxy Computers, along with the Seagate HDD. Not

if you just bought a Seagate HDD alone.

[/quote]

thats only with galaxy but most vendors give you hand to hand replacement if you go to claim your warranty just after few days of buying that hardware

galaxy is offering hand to hand replacement for the whole warranty period which is good but you need to buy the whole pc from them to avail it