HDD light always flashing

hi there....

i have a DELL Studio 1537 running on Vista 64 bit.... i have a problem....my HDD light is always flashing...

means HardDisk is always buzy so the system is very slow ....but is ok when i run it on Ubuntu....means no HD activity

what could possibly be the cause of that....

thanks

Most probably a virus. Your system needs a complete virus scan. Use Comodo internet security or MalwareBytes to protect you from internet threats

[quote=“greatlogix, post:2, topic:14998”]

Most probably a virus. Your system needs a complete virus scan. Use Comodo internet security or MalwareBytes to protect you from internet threats

[/quote]

Or an antivirus program, running full system scans in the background.

but i already have a Kaspersky Internet Security installed and updated.....

Open your anti-Virus Control Panel to see if its doing a full scan at startup. If so disable full scan at startup.

Basically your hard disk is thrashing because your running out of memory. So windows is using its page file as virtual memory. In ubuntu you are not running out of memory because you likely have fewer programs running. So I would look at what programs you have running under Windows. Use the windows task manager and msconfig. Pay particular attention to programs that run at start up using the msconfig tool. Feel free to google the terms 'disk thrashing' and 'msconfig'. If nothing works reinstalling windows might be a good idea.

BTW malware could be a cause but there is no way to say for certain. Don't jump to conclusions.

but how could i run out of memory....i have 4GB memory.....

[quote=“kashifmehmood, post:7, topic:14998”]

but how could i run out of memory…i have 4GB memory…

[/quote]

Well if thats the case, try scanning your system for viruses. That seems to be the only solution.

It could be terribly fragmented. Use a defragmentation tool like Defraggler to defrag your files on the hard drive. That should fix the constant activity issue in case your system is 'clean'.