Hardrive giveing Error message

Hi guys i have a Seagate 500GB and it is doing following things for last few days:

1- it's icon dissapears from window's explorer after 5 minutes

2-if the icon has not dissapeared and if i try to open any folder i get the following error message:

"the request could not be performed because of an i/o device error"

i have 162gb free space in it.

how do i fix it? thanks for the help guys.

Check the data cable and the power cable going to the hard drive. Unplug them and then replug them.

If that does not solve the problem then download seagate hard disk utility, I can't remember the name, it is free and can be found on the seagate website. It will tell you if the hard drive has generated any error codes, signifying hardware failure.

Its about power cable bro. Better buy new one and check it. It happened to me before. If its SATA hdd then its power cable problem.

Well i have switched the red cables and connected a new power socket from the power supply but still no change.. have run check disk but it only did 16% in 9 hours time then light went.. it is an NTFS partation.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Well i have switched the red cables and connected a new power socket from the power supply but still no change… have run check disk but it only did 16% in 9 hours time then light went… it is an NTFS partation.
[/quote]

You only have a single partition on the 500 gb drive? I recommend partitioning the drive into at least 4 partitions. Checkdsk will then run on a single partition a lot quicker.

Anyway, download “seagate tools for windows” from seagate website and run it to check for SMART errors. It has some more drive tests too. Your hard drive might be about to fail. Let us know the results of seagate tools

One more thing, I forgot to mention before. When you were checking the data cable on the hard drive also check to see if that cable is properly connected to the motherboard. These errors usually occur if the cables are loose.

1 - PSU and/or power cable.

2 - Data cable.

3 - HDD.

I recently had a similar problem with my HDD.

I just kept plugging and unplugging the power cable and my HDD would work fine for a few days..

Now what i did was just unplug my Dvd drive from the Power Supply and now everything is working fine.. So i guess my cheap PSU is not able to handle all the things that i have connected.. Yours could be a similar problem.

If you have a sata drive its always best to use a Power Supply which has Sata Power Connectors so you dont have to use the power converter cable.

Yea i also unplugged my combo drive and now the hard drive is working fine, but thing is i have a 400W power supply, hmm some of its capacitors must have become weak due to the constant electric failures..though i do have a stabmatic stablizer.

Best to try another Power Supply and see if it works fine, if it does then you should get a new PSU.

1 - PSU and/or power cable.

2 - Data cable.

3 - HDD.

[/quote]

agreed

if its a SATA HDD then replace the sata port (example if the cable is pluged in sata-1 on the motherboard , plug it in sata-2 or 3 or 4 and then try .

Well the error keeps on coming and going..

Well the error keeps on coming and going…
[/quote]

Even after unplugging the combo drive?

Did you try a different PSU?

If your PSU doesnt have direct Sata power connectors and you have to use connectors then thats an issue… Its always better to use PSU which have direct sata power connectors so you dont need to use the connector… Try changing the PSU and if thats not possible try changing the connectors.

Bro try using the HDD with SMART disabled if you are really sure that it is NOT data cable or power cable problem. Try swapping a spare drive to ensure if there is something wrong with the power supply or not.

hey im having the same prob wid ma 160GB HDD...some time it works some times it won't...the DVD trick i used n the PC halting thing stopped..afterwards i smelt a burning smell out of the power jack of the HDD...i took it to a shop n he replaced 2power ICs for 500Rs. then i took it home n it worked fine for the first time...but a SMART error occurred duno why...? Now its not working..the card gets hot a bit n the platters move a bit not much...im worried abt it...its only a year old..any way to fix it ..so tht i could sell it in open market..n buy a new 250Gb SATA for 3700Rs..plz im worried need a gud solution!!!

how did you see the platters ? did u open the drive ?

no actually by feeling it..! HA my 100th Post....Century

Well there is no burning smell i have not ried a different power supply , yes i have dedicated sata power clips..but thing is the other hardrives do not come and go but the 500GB seagate does.

i have defragmented it too but no luck. any suggestions guys? =(

@Frost

In post number 9 you had said:

Yea i also unplugged my combo drive and now the hard drive is working fine
[/quote]

Even after unplugging combo drive, does your 500GB HDD still disappear after boot?

If so then did you tried your 500GB HDD in any other computer?

Have you tried changing Data Cable for 500GB HDD?

Are you using Chinese made PSU or branded PSU?