HardDrive damaged :(

Hey guys,

Today was the bad day for me.. i have lost my 80 GB hdd...it was making noise and then after sometime its gone :( and unfortunately i don't have any recent backups.. Is there any way from which i can recover data from it ? The data in it is very important, some projects worth more then 50,000 RS.. Is there anyone in islamabad/rawalpindi which can ship my HDD to seagate corp. to recover data? what should i do ?

Need advice ..

Thanks in advance.

Can you boot the PC with the hard disk connected to any of the available ports?

Secondly, if you can see that the hard disk is listed in you computer's hardware list, use some software like Easy Recovery Professional to recover data from it.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Can you boot the PC with the hard disk connected to any of the available ports?

Secondly, if you can see that the hard disk is listed in you computer’s hardware list, use some software like Easy Recovery Professional to recover data from it.

[/quote]

Harddrive is totally gone/dead, i have tried in two different PCs and even it is not showing in BIOS…

there is someone around in saddar area and another guy in raja bazar (or near areas). i dont remember correctly since i got 2 of my hdds repaired from both the places couple of years ago. you could go and ask someone from the computer shops there.

could you please elaborate on the noise the hdd was producing before it died? also inspect the board on the hdd's bottom for any obvious damage/ burn-outs etc and post em here. if its just the board then its an easy repair.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Harddrive is totally gone/dead, i have tried in two different PCs and even it is not showing in BIOS…

[/quote]

Keep trying. Sometimes, HDDs which weren’t previously detected seem to come back. Also, change the HDD data cable.

If it still doesn’t works, change the control board on the back of the HDD with one from an HDD from the same family and capacity. You must visually make sure that the layout and components are the same on both.

If it is a problem with the motors/actuators, then you will have to move the platters to another similar HDD (same family, capacity and circuit layout, etc) after taking out the new HDD’s platters. If you go down this route, be sure that the person doing it knows what he is doing. Make sure this process is performed in a dust free room with appropriate precautions taken to prevent damage to the platters.

Today i went to Computer Bank in saddar RWP... the tech guys there fully performed diagnostic on it and they said internal media of drive is damaged.. so there is no other way to extract data from it. Just now i have done conversation with seagate (repair department) representative. I have told him what was happen to my drive.. he fully analysed my problem.. and he said we can see if data can be extracted.. If data can be repaired/extracted then we will charge 1700 $. This is a cooperate level data recovery and you know this is way too much cost !!!!

@ Asad

Is there anyone here in Islamabad which can move the platters to another similar HDD ?

There probably are people but I don't know any to recommend.

Perhaps someone in Lahore or Karachi knows someone?

1700 dollars? :mad: i would have gone crazy an started doing wierd things with them if i would have heard that myself from them

i know there is a place in shira-e-faisal karachi who do professional data recovery... my friend once recovered a 40gig HDD from them in about 4000 rupees... this was atleat 4 to 5 years ago...

i can get you there info if you like??

Very sorry to hear that. But if its a hardware error then that will be expensive to fix/recover.

You can use Spinrite to recover you hard disk (no need to go to data recovery people).

N.B. Spinrite needs to run for many hours to recover a harddisk but it is almost guaranteed to work (If you hard disk hasn't completely fried)

i think spinrite recovers data lost in bad sectors

but as his hard drive is not detectable by motherboard/bios

how wil spinrite find it..

So no scene of spinrite

for bad sectors spinrite is gud as it realy do its job but take a lota time even weeks depending upon amount of bad sectors and their conditions but it is not for very bad sectors!

^ *

For all these software to work, the BIOS should at least detect the HDD. If it is not even being detected, either the HDD PCB or the mechanical controls are experiencing faults or failure.

Spinrite AFAIK doesn't recovers data, it jsut fixes bad sectors (make them inaccessible by system)