Hard Drive problems

Because of these damn loadsheddings my harddrives have started to have some problems. I want to check them for errors and fix them? Is there any 3rd party software out there which helps me do this? I know there are windows builtin softwares but i need an external 3rd party software.

try norton ghost havnt used it but heard abt it that the new version supports error chkin if u want recovery software then try TESTDISK

=======

yaar is there a sum kinda extra turestrial vibe inthe air cuz every budy harddrivegettin problum ...... mine, alamode, specter

=======

the suddent power outage is a bad idea for HDDs, i read somewhere that HDDs are designed to withstand 50,000 unexpected power losses, but i guess with the number of blackouts we are experiencing daily, i guess every system without a UPS will need a new HDD every year.

all the time, i'm using my system and boom, black out.... the next time i start up teh system praying everything be ok, ... but i guess it wont be long till i lose my PRRRECCIOUS HDD.

as far the utitlity, i guess windows disk scan is a good utility in itself to check for disk errors

Yeah well my drives are new, i have 80gb, 160gb and 250gb drives connected and they are new and they are damaged because of these loadsheddings !!!.. My computer is booting up very slowly and my windows i think have gone corrupt but its still working but takes ages to boot up sometimes gets stuck on the windows loading screen so i have to restart my computer 2-3 times and then it finally boots up to the login screen.

Pretty Frustrating. Any ideas what to do? Im downloading Norton Ghost right now. Btw, i also used this software Active Smart something like that, it reported so many errors in drive C !! (Thats where windows is installed) but that software didnt have any option to fix them.

dude just try full scan disk on your windows tht works really gud 2

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

the suddent power outage is a bad idea for HDDs, i read somewhere that HDDs are designed to withstand 50,000 unexpected power losses, but i guess with the number of blackouts we are experiencing daily, i guess every system without a UPS will need a new HDD every year.

all the time, i’m using my system and boom, black out… the next time i start up teh system praying everything be ok, … but i guess it wont be long till i lose my PRRRECCIOUS HDD.

as far the utitlity, i guess windows disk scan is a good utility in itself to check for disk errors

[/quote]

I have lost a 120GB HDD totally and a 320GB HDD partially. Warranty claims will see a rise.

Yeah well my drives are new, i have 80gb, 160gb and 250gb drives connected and they are new and they are damaged because of these loadsheddings !!!.. My computer is booting up very slowly and my windows i think have gone corrupt but its still working but takes ages to boot up sometimes gets stuck on the windows loading screen so i have to restart my computer 2-3 times and then it finally boots up to the login screen.

Pretty Frustrating. Any ideas what to do? Im downloading Norton Ghost right now. Btw, i also used this software Active Smart something like that, it reported so many errors in drive C !! (Thats where windows is installed) but that software didnt have any option to fix them.

[/quote]

Run chkdsk.

I have lost a 120GB HDD totally and a 320GB HDD partially. Warranty claims will see a rise.

[/quote]

i thought you were running ur system on a UPS

i thought you were running ur system on a UPS

[/quote]

Yeah, but it (the one specifically for the PC) has a very small backup time… 5 minutes or so just to put it into hibernation. If the load shedding occurs out of schedule, and I am not around, it leads to a hard shut down resulting in bad sectors on HDD.

I think my 160gb HDD is about to die. Its not showing up any more, i have to plug it out and then plug it in and then it appears but then after reboot it dissappears again. Its only 6 months old plus its sata.

Damn kesc... Im having alot of problems now with my PC, i think ill give it to some shop for repairing because i really cant handle it now. Sometimes, well not sometimes.. Most of the time my computer just hangs up on boot and the red light on the CPU keeps blinking but just shows a blank screen.. I think the 160gb HDD is gone now, and the other 2 are also having problems.

I think my 160gb HDD is about to die. Its not showing up any more, i have to plug it out and then plug it in and then it appears but then after reboot it dissappears again. Its only 6 months old plus its sata.

Damn kesc… Im having alot of problems now with my PC, i think ill give it to some shop for repairing because i really cant handle it now. Sometimes, well not sometimes… Most of the time my computer just hangs up on boot and the red light on the CPU keeps blinking but just shows a blank screen… I think the 160gb HDD is gone now, and the other 2 are also having problems.

[/quote]

man! I have the EXACT same problem with a 160G and I can bet it’s a WWD, wretched western digital!

Seagate here.. I've unplugged the 160gig drive now and things do seem to be fine now.. But still there are lots of problems in my computer. Im screwed if my drives are screwed, its not even been 6 months since i bought these Sata drives (250 and 160).. I dont think i have their warranty card either, ill have to search for it.

Seagate here… I’ve unplugged the 160gig drive now and things do seem to be fine now… But still there are lots of problems in my computer. Im screwed if my drives are screwed, its not even been 6 months since i bought these Sata drives (250 and 160)… I dont think i have their warranty card either, ill have to search for it.
[/quote]

a power supply problem?

I have switched power supplies and it doesn't help! It just randomly goes into fits of uselesness! I have given it in warranty once, it came back saying no problem! :s

u r in deep #$%# man........ yes do try and change it to a decent power supply dont go 4 chinese bulk supply but rather a decent branded 1

Yeah, but it (the one specifically for the PC) has a very small backup time… 5 minutes or so just to put it into hibernation. If the load shedding occurs out of schedule, and I am not around, it leads to a hard shut down resulting in bad sectors on HDD.

[/quote]

GREAT! i turned off my PC before 7PM as there’s a scheduled 7pm blackout over here, the freaking power didn’t went off till 7.30 so i said ok, i guess caz of the record high water level in Turbela Dam, no loadshedding for today or something … as soon as my PC booted up and i logged in, KABOOM!, black out … when i turned ON my pc back on after an hour, i got my first warning … "a failed CMOS battery " or something error, … the pc is working fine …but i hate wapda even more now … time to plan for a UPS

GREAT! i turned off my PC before 7PM as there’s a scheduled 7pm blackout over here, the freaking power didn’t went off till 7.30 so i said ok, i guess caz of the record high water level in Turbela Dam, no loadshedding for today or something … as soon as my PC booted up and i logged in, KABOOM!, black out … when i turned ON my pc back on after an hour, i got my first warning … "a failed CMOS battery " or something error, … the pc is working fine …but i hate wapda even more now … time to plan for a UPS
[/quote]

:lol: LOL :lol: hahaha

dude hate 2 be rude but u got 2 agree thts funny

Thats funny :D...

@Saad

Ill try that, though i dont see the need for it because my computer seems to be working ok now with the 160 GB drive plugged out..