Hard Disk problems

Ok so in the past 3 weeks i have lost 1 160gb Sata drive completely, 1 Pata (IDE) 80gb drive and i am using 2 Sata drives right now one of which is only bought just days ago and the other one is also not really old probably around a few months anyway these both drives are having badsectors or something the drives makes noise sometimes and i get a yellow exclamation mark in the corner saying that disk drive write failed or something like that.

Now i want to know what exactly is wrong with my PC im buying Sata drives again and again but in the end they just get damaged after weeks of usage !! Could it be my Power Supply? Is it because of KESC's load shedding?

Anyway so here's my questions:

1. Should i get a stabilizer or UPS because someone on this forum was saying that because of loadshedding drives dont fail its because of fluctuations in voltages that drives fail.. If thats true then i should be getting a stabilizer right?

2. Is there any software which can just block out the damage part of the hard disk so that the windows just doesnt use that area of hard disk ? Or is there any software which can repair my hard disk or anything like that ?

:( Screw KESC.

probably psu problem......in my opinion change ur power supply first....also chk the performance and health of ur hdd's through "HDD observer"

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

1. Should i get a stabilizer or UPS because someone on this forum was saying that because of loadshedding drives dont fail its because of fluctuations in voltages that drives fail… If thats true then i should be getting a stabilizer right?

[/quote]

IMO, fluctuations aren’t as damaging as sudden load shedding. Most PSUs can operate over 100-240VAC.

This problem is mainly because of PSU. Same thing happened with me but when i changed to a good PSU, now everything is okay. Be sure to check if your PSU has direct sata power connectors coming from PSU not the Jugaar ones which has to be converted to sata connector bcoz this really causes the problems.

Yes i have to use a converter to connect the sata drives.

So i should be getting a new Power Supply, how much that's going to cost? And also should i buy a stabilizer or UPS ?

Yes i have to use a converter to connect the sata drives.

So i should be getting a new Power Supply, how much that’s going to cost? And also should i buy a stabilizer or UPS ?

[/quote]

chk galaxy.pk…u will find prices of different models psu’s…choose the one that suits ur budget

I cant find PSU's at galaxy.com.pk .. Anyway roughly 1000 should be enough for a good PSU ?

Great now one of the drives not showing up !!!

I cant find PSU’s at galaxy.com.pk … Anyway roughly 1000 should be enough for a good PSU ?
[/quote]

no if u can afforad go for branded psu like coolermaster or asus…it will atleast cost u 3000rs…btw i askd u surf

http://galaxy.pk/

…chk ur adress u visit galaxy.com.pk and wid this domain name there is no site

galaxy.com.pk

^ That works for me.. Opens the same page as galaxy.pk..

Anyway yeah just saw the prices.

Oh and by hard disk which disappeared just appeared my magic now lol.. im pretty tired of this because my computer is having problems since quite a few months now i also got my graphics card burnt a few months back so it looks more likely that this problem is because of a faulty PSU.. Anyway is there any shop where i can take it for repair? I dont really fancy spending time on fixing my computer myself my exams are coming up im thinking that i should just take it to a shop get the Power Supply changed and tell them to check the computer properly. You guys know any reliable place ?

u dn need to go to any reparing shp....just buy new psu n put it in place of old one....

^^are you sure the harddisk cable isnt the culprit?

Please advise, is there any professional hard disk repair shop in Karachi, capable of opening the HDD and move the platter to another HDD to recover data, see:

http://www.stellarinfo.com/

http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com.sg/hard-drive-recovery/

http://www.cbltech.com.sg/

Coincidentally HDDs in 2 desktop computers have failed. P4 desktop 40 GB hard disk failed, making loud clicking noise. The other P3 10 GB SCSI HDD failed and two 80 GB HDDs have failed. One is Maxtor and other is WD.

BTW both PCs power supplies have gone faulty and replaced.

I suspect quality of electricity here. Notebook computer HDDs do not fail like this because power comes through the battery.

I suggest to get a UPS for your PC, this will protect from power surges, spikes and fluctuations.

before going for new power supply check your data and power cables usually that is the culprit, change them and see if anything happens if things are still the same then i guess there is a loose trace in the power supply so either you will need to get it repaired/ checked out or buy a new power supply.

Ah so finally on sunday my windows just stopped working it was crashing right after booting up so i decided to format it completely and install windows again (3rd time i think) so when i formatted and was installing windows the PC just stuck at 60% and wouldnt copy files more then that and the drive was making a noise too.. I got really really pissed i waited and waited in the hope that file copying would continue but it didnt.. I tried it 2-3 times and well it didnt work sometimes stopped at 40% sometimes at 50% anyway i got frustrated took the PC to the computer shop on monday.. I didnt want to buy a PSU untill im completely sure that is the problem..

Anyway they installed windows and when i came back to pick the computer up in the evening computer just wouldnt boot up so the guy looked at it and then he changed the cables, tried on a new PSU (it still didnt work) but then he changed the power cables of the sata drive you know the power cable which convert normal power to sata power cables? He changed those and it all started working properly. He checked it up a few more times and then i bought the PC home. I told him that if the computer stops working in a few days then im coming back and you will fix it for free :P lol he said it wont happen and even if it does then bring it back. Its working fine now have used it for around 4-5 hours no problems..

So i guess the problem was in the power cables. Im going to get a new PSU anyway because i need to run 3 HDD's and my current PSU doesnt support that. Just one question though, PSU for dual core and single core are different right? I have a dual core one.. How many pins does the dual core Power Supply require? Im thinking of buying the ASUS cooler master 460 Watts.

Seems like 0x0000009C/0x9C error was affecting your PC causing the setup to stop midway.

I read the article and i think thats what it was. I probably need a new PSU.

So what should i buy, A 460 Watt PSU Cooler master or a UPS? Which one should be my priority ?

I guess first the PSU then the UPS ?

^psu...n all p4's dualcore's and core 2 requires 24pin power connector plus a seperate 4pin connector