Guide: Speed Up Browsing Using Firefox

My firefox often got slow-downs or even freezes when browsing on script-intense pages, or having tons of tabs open with active content on all etc. so i decoded to try to find out what caused all these lags and freees, and one of the biggest problems i found were the disk activity, for example the sessionstore.js which saves all the content on open pages so you can resume where you left off after closing firefox.

And to eliminate this disk activity problem, i tought of putting these stuff to a Ramdisk, and so far it has worked like a dream.

Goods about doing this:

* Firefox dont freeze or slow down as much as it used to (Especially on Facebook, and Facebook's Chat etc. script-intense web pages)

* Firefox itself, and add-ons are faster and more responsive

* Firefox has almost no HDD activity

Bads about doing this:

* Less free RAM

* Sudden loss in power might lead to unsaved firefox data (such as newly installed add-ons or bookmarks)

* Firefox's Appdata folder must not exceed the size of the Ramdisk (the size of the ramdisk can be increased by the cost of free ram)

in this guide, i will be using SuperSpeed Ramdisk Plus on my Windows 7 Ultimate x64, any other version of windows or ramdisk should work aswell

1. Check the size of the Firefox's Appdata folder (usually C:\Users\Username\Appdata\Roaming\Mozilla\firefox\ (on Windows 7 & Vista) or C:\Documents And Settings\Username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\ (on Windows XP & older))

2. Open Ramdisk configuration app (i will be using SuperSpeed Ramdisk Plus)

3. Add a new Ramdisk

4. Make sure its size is bigger than the firefox's Appdata folder, i'm using 128MB

5. I recommend using NTFS

6. I highly recommend checking the "Save at system shutdown" checkbox, unless you plan to keep the appdata some other way when system is powered off

7. Finish the creating of the ramdisk, also leave all other options there on default, and at this point, you MUST close firefox and keep it closed untill this is done, so either save this guide or use some other browser to view this

8. Backup Firefox's Appdata folder, i recomemnd backing it up under Mozilla folder

9. Delete the contents of the original Firefox folder, so that there's just an empty Firefox folder

10. Open up Disk Management tool, start -> run -> diskmgmt.msc

11. Right click on the Ramdisk and select "Change drive letter and paths..."

12. Click on Add

13. Browse for the original, empty firefox folder

14. Click OK on everything (you can remove the drive letter if you wish, its not necessary) and then go back to the firefox's Appdata folder to see that the folder icon is changed

15. Copy the contents from the Backup to this "changed" Firefox folder

16. Try opening firefox, it should open just like usual, but it should be faster now, especially on "problematic pages" such as Facebook, especially when using Facebook's Chat feature

Reference: http://www.overclock...ce-ramdisk.html