GUIDE : Installing XP with SATA drivers [without Floppy F6]

This Guide will show HOW to inject SATA drivers in Windows XP Installation [boot Installation without Floppy F6]

Q.Why use nLite?

nLite & VLite are freeware applications used to create customized installation CDs of Microsoft's Windows 2000, XP, 2003, and Vista. For more info, go to Wikipedia

You must have the following before you continue

A) nLite (used for injecting SATA driver & other modifications too FOR XP ONLY)

B).NET Framework 2.0 (nLite needs .NET Framework 2.0 or newer to be installed) | Alternative Link

C) Windows XP Bootable Installation CD

D) Blank CD or DVD (This won't help if you don't have CD/DVD Burner)

E) SATA drivers from Intel website: Intel Matrix Storage Utilities (Choose 32-bit or 64-bit)

F) Motherboard which support SATA and SouthBridge? (Read More)

G) A Little bit of knowledge of how to burn CD/DVD's and how to put CD in a CD Writer Tray and take it out even if it's stucked in!

IMPORTANT : KEEP YOUR AHCI OR SATA OPTION enabled IN BIOS

Now, I would assume you have installed .Net Framework and n-Lite.

1. Run nLite & insert your Windows XP CD in CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/whatever & PRESS NEXT

2. Locate the folder where your Windows Installation files are located (i.e. your Windows XP CD) & PRESS NEXT

3. Select the SAVE PATH for n-Lite version for modification to Windows XP (we call it n-Lite-XP) & PRESS OK

N-Lite-Step03.jpg

4. Choose from the "Browse For Folder" or Make New Folder & PRESS OK

N-Lite-Step04.jpg

5. nLite will start copying files from CD (or ISO) to n-Lite-XP folder (NO ACTION REQUIRED)

6. Once copying is finished, it will show you the details of your windows, its size, etc & PRESS NEXT

7. Presets are previous settings you did before current settings. Ignore this & PRESS NEXT

8. You will see TASK SELECTION. You only want SATA Driver Injection and making CD/DVD Bootable (NO ACTION REQUIRED)

9. Select "DRIVERS" and "BOOTABLE ISO" and PRESS NEXT

10. In Drivers, you need to put SATA drivers in it. Go to 'Add -> Single driver'

Remember that you can also add more than one SATA drivers. For that, choose 'Multiple drivers' option.

11. Now, Extract the SATA drivers you downloaded from E)

N-Lite-Step11.jpg

12. Go back to n-Lite and add iaAHCI.inf file in Drivers & PRESS OPEN

REMEMBER : If you add any other inf, windows XP installation won't recognize your SATA Driver.

13. Now, choose the SATA AHCI driver (or other if you have RAID setting) your motherboard's southbridge supports & PRESS OK

14. It will display DRIVERS which you have integrated with XP installation & PRESS NEXT

REMEMBER : You can also add other drivers if you wish to, but wrong driver may hinder with your installed Windows.

15. 'Do you want to start the process?' WHAT DO YOU THINK??????? (USE YOUR BRAIN CELLS)

N-Lite-Step15.jpg

16. All the integration process will start (NO ACTION REQUIRED)

17. This is showing you the size increased from the modifications you made. PRESS NEXT

18. In Bootable ISO, You have a choice to 'Direct Burn' (by inserting Black CD and PRESS 'BURN' ... OR...

19. ... 'Create Image' and PRESS 'MAKE AN ISO'. Choose whichever you like. (You may see two more options.)

20. Customization Finished! The n-Lite work is done. PRESS FINISH and Now, you have a SATA enabled Windows XP CD.

HOW TO MAKE SURE SATA Drivers ARE WORKING DURING SETUP?????

Can you spot the following line?

16379 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

atapi.jpg

Now, instead of atapi, it should say iaStor. See the following picture

iaStor.jpg

Now, boot your system with nLite modified CD/DVD and install your windows with full SATA support.

PLEASE NOTE : It's recommended to download SATA drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website. AT YOUR OWN RISK

[P.S. If it is showing ATAPI, then this shows your SATA drivers haven't been detected by XP installation.

Instead of ATAPI, it must show IaStor. You will have to do the process again and carefully as well]

I hope this guide is informative for people who were looking for such solutions. nLite is also capable of customizing most of the components, more drivers, unattended installations, etc. You can find more on nLite website. If you feel anything is missing.

Provided by WasiqJaved@gmail.com

Any tutorial regarding installing windows from other PC. Can be done on Linux, but dont know how in windows

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Any tutorial regarding installing windows from other PC. Can be done on Linux, but dont know how in windows
[/quote]

Installing windows from other PCs? You mean ghost installation? (like Norton Ghost 12???)

Don't know about Norton Ghost that much. I want to install Windows from another PC on my network i.e. the windows files on are on another PC. I remember we can install Linux from FTP, even HTTP server. Can windows be installed that way?

And yeah I would like to learn Ghost Installation too , so that i wont have to install windows again when it will get corrupt, just want to copy the image. Too lazy to learn or search myself on that.

Don’t know about Norton Ghost that much. I want to install Windows from another PC on my network i.e. the windows files on are on another PC. I remember we can install Linux from FTP, even HTTP server. Can windows be installed that way?
[/quote]

I’m afraid that’s not possible in windows (in my knowledge). However some motherboards and NICs do have “BOOT on LAN” option. That’s all I know!

And yeah I would like to learn Ghost Installation too , so that i wont have to install windows again when it will get corrupt, just want to copy the image. Too lazy to learn or search myself on that.
[/quote]

The best I found is Acronis True Home 2009

I’ll tell you how acronis true image helped me just a couple of weeks back!

I ordered an HP 15.4" laptop online from one of the leading reseller, but they sent me HP 13". So, they asked me to return it within 7 days & they said once you put your details in it (like setting up windows vista, username and everything), the warranty will start and you cannot return it after that. So, before turning it on, I used Acronis True Home Image to make the whole image of my hard-drive’s USED SPACE as it was delivered to me (factory default). It was like 34GB or something (took 8 DVD’s to back it up). Then, I used that laptop for one whole week (in hotspots, university, etc). Then, I asked them to take it back coz it’s not what i ordered. So, DHL guys came and took it back.

They gave me another option to choose from their website or get your refund, so I chose 14.1" from the same website… After 10 days, they called me and said the replacement I ordered is out of stock. Choose another one…

So, it was time to call them to sck my knuckles!!! But, I did use the new laptop with ease.

So, I just love Acronis!

I tried Norton Ghost way way back… but it was a bit complicated. Try Acronis. It’s kick-as easy!!!

34GB!!! man thats not good I guess it depends on the partition size. Will take a deeper look in this software and update u ASAP

34GB!!! man thats not good I guess it depends on the partition size. Will take a deeper look in this software and update u ASAP
[/quote]

That’s how the new laptops (with recovery partition) comes in. VISTA is already huge and laptop makers put loads of crap in it as well. If you install ur own windows in it. It won’t take more than 5GB (VISTA) and 1.5(GB) for XP

If you are installing WinXP and WinVISTA and want its image to be saved, then … use this Acronis. It’s seamlessly easy and user-friendly!