GTA 4 with PS3 on a Standard box TV set

This query is basically going to allow me to make a decision in buying a ps3. Which has been long overdue.

I have a standard Phillips TV (32 " non flat screen). It has Audio Video support with 3 pins (one for video and 1 each for left and right speaker channel).

I am not sure what 780 p or 1080 p means. I am a newbie in this regard. Would love to get some information on this. Also I do not know what specifications are of my TV.

Can I run GTA 4 on it with PS3? If not then how can I do that?

Cheers,

darktaktiX

^ darktaktiX

Yes, you can run GTA4 with PS3 on your Phillips 32" TV (that is analog TV) using 3 input pins (1 for video and 2 for audio, left and right). These 3 input pins are called composite video with stereo audio.

Games (including GTA4) will run great (not excellent) on your Phillips 32" TV. To run excellent quality, you'll going to need good quality wide-screen LCD and a 5.1 surround sound system. But these both items will increase cost as you'll have to buy LCD and surround sound system.

However, you can buy new LCD screen (wide-screen) and 5.1 surround sound system later any time you like (after purchasing PS3). Consider them as upgrades. They will also use for watching movies (PS3 can play DVD/BluRay movies like any DVD movie player) and watching TV/Cable-TV.

By the way, you do not need to buy wide-screen LCD or 5.1 surround sound system. Your TV is capable of running PS3 at very good quality.

It's old technology but not yet outdated ;)

Yeap as wampyr said, You sure can run it on that TV. Just that it wont be running in High Definition (HD). But make sure that if your PS3 is PAL then buy a PAL Gta4. I say this because most games will work fine because PS3 is region free meaning you dont have to worry Pal games will work on NTSC console and vise versa but i have heard about GTA 4 Pal not running on NTSC console and vise versa on SD TV's.. So keep in mind about that.

Here's a link to that problem http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=1347414&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Anyway if you have a PAL gta4 and PAL PS3 then it should work fine.

Thanks a lot of the prompt replies guys. They really cleared up a lot of concerns.

Just a couple of new ones now though.

I am in Lahore and contacted Play Station Club and Future Zone in Liberty. Both of them said that it is possible to play gta4 for on SDTV like you guys said.

However now I am confused about the version of PS3 that I should go for. I want one who's games are compatible with the system and are readily available. I know that the games are region free but like you said that there are compatibility issues with some of the games.

I remember from the times of Mega Drive, we only had Pal versions of consoles available in PK. But the guys I contacted said that we have NTSC (costing approx PKR 40k) and Pal and J systems (costing approx PKR 32k). I just want to be sure that the console I buy has no compatibility issues with games on a standard analogue TV. Hope this is not asking for too much :).

Secondly, is a standard AV cable (with only one pin each for audio and video), like we used to have for Mega Drive, available for PS3 as well?

Thanks again and Cheers,

Get a 21" used CRT monitor and you can plug it in to your PS3. Wont cost you more than 4k.

@darktaktiX

this is true that some SDTVs are supported good in some way with new next generation devices. but I must say that. look in your SDTV NTSC Support. is it NTSC 3.58 or NTSC 4.43. because there are many old SDTVs that supports only NTSC 3.58 and doesn't support 4.43. if that is so. then most probably your PS2/PS3 are not gonna give you the colors if the Game is encoded on NTSC. because PS3 supports NTSC (4.43) or PAL. and then you get a need of NTSC-PAL Converter in that case.

I have experienced the same with PS2. but about PS3 I have heard and read on many forums that the same issue is there with it.

you can read other things about compatibilty at http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html

and about Standard AV Cable. when ever you use standard 2-Pin AV cable in any stereo system. you dont get stereo sound. it remains mono.

BTW why do you need this cable for PS3?

@Sir Ahsan

I think you are a big fan of CRT life. isn't it?

Thanks for the info Sir Ahsan and bellskar. Certainly I need to look at some more things as well. The reason I was asking for a two pin cable was that the TV I have in my own room at the moment has only one socket for audio.

However this query of mine is still waiting to be answered. Just pasting in bold so it doesn't miss the attention :)

"I am confused about the version of PS3 that I should go for. I want one who's games are compatible with the system and are readily available. I know that the games are region free but like you said that there are compatibility issues with some of the games.

I remember from the times of Mega Drive, we only had Pal versions of consoles available in PK. But the guys I contacted said that we have NTSC (costing approx PKR 40k) and Pal and J systems (costing approx PKR 32k). I just want to be sure that the console I buy has no compatibility issues with games on a standard analogue TV. Hope this is not asking for too much"

Also, couldn't find this info on the site, does the 40 and 20 gig versions have built in WiFi as well?

Cheers,

Well the 20gig doesnt, All the rest do according to wikipedia. Also the 40 gig isnt backward compatible.

As for which version to go for, I dont really know alot about it so cant help you there.