Green Karachi project

President gives go ahead to Green Karachi project

ISLAMABAD, Mar 6, (APP):

President Asif Ali Zardari on Friday gave a go ahead to the Green Karachi

Project that aims at turning hundreds of acres of waste land in the city into

lush parks, besides massive tree plantation along 24 major roads traversing

through the city. The President advised the government to undertake the project on

public private partnership basis.Chairing a meeting here at the

President House, President Zardari advised that a study be carried out on the

public health impact of the trees to be planted under the Green Project.

He however asked to avoid plantation of any such species such as paper mulberry

that turned out to be detrimental to public health by causing widespread pollen

allergy.

Under the around Rs 22 billion project in Karachi alone around 20 million saplings

would be planted, to meet the international criterion of having one tree for each

person for a healthy environment. Currently the city has only around 3 million

trees that are too few for any impact.

The presentation was attended among others by Syed Qaim Ali Shah,

Chief Minister Sindh, Salman Faruqui, Secretary General to the President, Kamal Majidullah SAPM

on Water Resources, Fazal-ur-Rehman, Chief Secretary Environment, Farhatullah Babar, Spokesperson,

Inayat Ellahi, Acting Secretary Environment and Tariq Mehmood Khan, Chairman CDA

besides other officials of Ministry of Environment.

The President said that provision should also be made for graveyards in the

Green Project as land for graveyards was shrinking in Karachi and throughout the country.

President Zardari, an ardent environmentalist has always supported such projects

and launched several projects during his tenure as Minister for Environment.

Liaqat Ali Khan, Executive Director Parks and Horticulture of City Distict Government

Karachi told APP that nine projects have been planned under President Asif Ali Zardari's green vision

for the city.

Liaqat Ali said with large scale tree plantation the people of city will witness massive change in citys

environment that was facing extreme pollution due to heavy industrialisation,

increase in traffic, cutting down of trees in the past and large scale construction.

Javed Hanif, DCO Karachi said complete feasibility and other detailed drawings of the projects were complete

and after the approval by the government, work would begin at a fast pace. He

recalled that with round the clock work the Bagh-e-ibn-e-Qasim was constructed

within a short span of few months.

He said strict measures have been taken for protection of trees already planted and anyone responsible for

damaging any tree can face criminal charges. However he pointed that due to

public awareness the masses themselves protected and maintained the trees, which

was a very healthy sign.

- The 152 acre Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Park at boat basin Clifton will be the first project to complete in six

months time at a cost of Rs 877 million. The park will have jogging tracks,

lawns, plantation, stone benches, food courts, fountains and lighting arrangements.

- Malir River Park covering an area of 5000 acres will be constructed in the middle of the city crossing nine

towns. To be designed as the world’s largest park, the area will also cater to

the sports demands through 12 athlete grounds, 15 cricket grounds and 24 service

areas. A Mono Rail will be run in the park for taking tour through the 20-km

long and 2.5 km area.

- The Rs 3289 million Central Park will be constructed around important institutions including Sindh assembly

and High Court at an area of 151 acres. The government offices, presently in

barracks will be shifted to two towers, federal and provincial, to be

constructed in the same area. Treated sewage water will be used for irrigation.

- The Karachi Night Safari; to be constructed at 2000 acres, near Thadda Dam will

offer the visitors a unique experience of exploring wildlife in a tropical jungle at night.

People will be able to view nocturnal animals in open in their natural habitats during an

hour-long drive.

- The estimated cost of the project is Rs 3998 million.

- To provide recreational facilities to the population in under-developed area, the Karachi National

Park will be constructed in Trans Lyari Area between Sindh Industrial Trading

Estate and the right bank of Lyari River at an area of 187 acres.

- Karachi Animal Park will be constructed at the Karachi Zoological Garden at an area of 41 acres,

with amount of Rs 934 million.

- The Manghopir Resort will be developed at Hub Reservoir on Manghopir hills at an area of 1800 acres with an

estimated amount of Rs 1,500 million. The park will have fish hunting lake,

resting cottages, water amusement parks, golf course, dew jet poles for

decreasing temperatures and plantation with drip water system.

- The Hill Park Karachi to be built between Shara-e-Faisal and Shaheed-e-Millat Road,

will cover an area of 62 acres with an amount of Rs 200 million.

- The Beautification of Lyari River; project includes construction of water channel and tree plantation in

Lyari riverbed from Sohrab Goth to Mauripur Road between Lyari Expressway. The

18.5 km long and 200250 km wide area will be completed in two years with an

amount of rs 988 million.

- Massive tree plantation will also be done on 272 km of 24 major roads in the city at a cost

of Rs 980 million in two years.

Source: http://www.app.com.pk/en_/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=70142

I suppose this is good news if it gets successfully implemented.

Beautiful Green Karachi without any electricity.

^ At least it will be green :P

here in our district west we have a lot of shadi haal on places where peole rest in the day and children play(parks)

rather than making the towns green we have shadi haals which genrate money for cdgk

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

^ At least it will be green :P
[/quote]

true. but i prefer a barren rawalpindi with electricity :P

now thats a good project , that Nazim guy i think Mustafa Kamal is doing some awesome projects atleast he looks educated i visited karachi 4-5 months for 2 days only and believe me i personally think theres very less amount of trees compared to cities of Punjab or NWFP .

i hope that will be benifical for health and environment of people of Karachi .

^Agreed

He is doing a very good job. If he gets funds in time, you will see a greener karachi in a year or 2.

As mentioned in the article, Mr. President takes a personal interest in horticulture. Hence all the enthusiasm in undertaking such a large and expensive project. Oh well. As long as the masses benefit from it, I'm all for it. Hopefully lots of illegal money won't change hands during the implementation of the project...

lets just hope that it doesn't get abandoned lik all the other projects that come and go

lets just hope that it doesn’t get abandoned lik all the other projects that come and go
[/quote]

Don’t worry bro, soon this project will also b in the list of those abandoned projects. :P Never expect any nation friendly gesture from our govt.

Pakistan is one very unfortunate country considering the fact that it never found even one single sincere and dedicated leader from the day of its establishment till now except Muhammad Ali Jinnah. Infact the situation that we r facing at present is the worst uptill now. Majority of the leaders in our present govt are notorious for different criminal acts. And who is unaware of the fu**ing deeds that Mr.Zardari the great has comitted in the past and now he is the president of our country… believe me nothing can b worse than this.

Although the chances for such happening r only few but lets hope that some day this country will find some truely dedicated leader who will lead our country and nation to the road to progress and prosperity.

^

at least apperciate some good steps taken by govt bro i understand the level of hate u have in heart for govt but such comments and critics will only raise the concerns and tensions of citizens .... critising nad acts of politicans dont help at all so try appericating their good efforts ...

^

at least apperciate some good steps taken by govt bro i understand the level of hate u have in heart for govt but such comments and critics will only raise the concerns and tensions of citizens … critising nad acts of politicans dont help at all so try appericating their good efforts …

[/quote]

+1

Don’t worry bro, soon this project will also b in the list of those abandoned projects. :P

[/quote]

The Annihilator to me you are Leonardo Da Vinci! :)

^

at least apperciate some good steps taken by govt bro i understand the level of hate u have in heart for govt but such comments and critics will only raise the concerns and tensions of citizens … critising nad acts of politicans dont help at all so try appericating their good efforts …

[/quote]

any relation to fouzia wahaab …? :D

Don’t worry bro, soon this project will also b in the list of those abandoned projects. :P Never expect any nation friendly gesture from our govt.

Pakistan is one very unfortunate country considering the fact that it never found even one single sincere and dedicated leader from the day of its establishment till now except Muhammad Ali Jinnah. Infact the situation that we r facing at present is the worst uptill now. Majority of the leaders in our present govt are notorious for different criminal acts. And who is unaware of the fu**ing deeds that Mr.Zardari the great has comitted in the past and now he is the president of our country… believe me nothing can b worse than this.

Although the chances for such happening r only few but lets hope that some day this country will find some truely dedicated leader who will lead our country and nation to the road to progress and prosperity.

[/quote]

True that.

We will not find any leader unless we (as in common ppl) correct ourselves and get rid of all this political culture, political personals, the constitution… and become our own leader.

As mentioned in the article, Mr. President takes a personal interest in horticulture. Hence all the enthusiasm in undertaking such a large and expensive project. Oh well. As long as the masses benefit from it, I’m all for it. Hopefully lots of illegal money won’t change hands during the implementation of the project…
[/quote]

In an ideal situation I think we all are up for it but practically I know its just another way of distributing tax payers money among “jiyalas” and lets not forget Mr. 10%

now thats a good project , that Nazim guy i think Mustafa Kamal is doing some awesome projects atleast he looks educated i visited karachi 4-5 months for 2 days only and believe me i personally think theres very less amount of trees compared to cities of Punjab or NWFP .

i hope that will be benifical for health and environment of people of Karachi .

[/quote]

what Mustafa Kamal has to do with this project?