Graphic card selection?

Guys I'm really confused by many many graphic cards available in market that which is better than other?

Should we purely go by the clock rate?? Like a card having core/memory clock of 500/1000 MHz is better than a card having clock 450/800 MHz.

But i've seen some cards having lower clock rate but still expensive than other. Like inno3d 8600gt ichill ddr3 which has higher clock but cheaper than inno3d 9600gso.

Secondly I can't understand the memory width thing like some cards are 64-bit some 128 bit, what i'm confused about that if a memory which has a higher frequency lets say 1.2GHz and 128 bit how it will compare with a card that has 1GHz and 256 bit. Coz the cards now days have bandwidth like 15Gbps, 20Gbps, 30, and so on so are todays games capabale of exhausting these cards with this much of bandwidth?

Babar kamal the clock speed matters for all video cards, but along with that, what matters the most the clock speed and memory width.

personally, i'd suggest not to go for anything less than gDDR3 memory Videocards.

128-bit cards are mediocre. 256-bit are chosen mostly, for obvious reasons. The bigger the pipe to ur video-memory, the more video data throughput can take place.

if you want a good video card, dont go for anything less than 8800GT/9600GT/radeon3850

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card,1923-7.html

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88&pgno=1

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card,1923-7.html

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88&pgno=1

[/quote]

this is a good idea. always look up tomshardware before buying any computer related hardware. especially grpahic card, mobo and processor.

Acutally graphic cards performance has gone beyond mesuring it solely by bandwith, core clock, memory size, memory clock, path to memory (which is your 128 bit 256 bit etc).

Now there are other things to consider like stream processors, transistor count, die size etc.

Unless you're a die hard fan of GPU architecture your only concern would be which card is good enough for today's games and which has the best price to performance ratio.

There is an easy answer nowdays. If you're living in Pakistan and can find one. Buy a ATI 4870 if you budget is around Rs. 25,000 or an ATI 4850 if your budget is around Rs. 16,000. Any one of these cards will ensure decent level gaming for atleast the next two years.

Nvidia cards, the 280 and the 260 are great too but they are really expensive in Pakistan. The 280 is going for Rs. 50,000 and the 260 around Rs. 33,000. Btw the 4870 which is for 24 k outperforms the 33 k 260. If you have some comming from the U.S, get one from there. The 50 k 280 card will cost you 32 k. Then it's a Nvidia with question.

Hope it all helps.

How much does it cost for

1. 8600gt 512MB ddr3

Asking coz this item aren't present right now at galaxy and is it sufficient for modern day games.

And why xfx 8800gt 512MB ddr3 (Rs. 15000) is more expensive than xfx 9600gt 512MB ddr3 (Rs. 12500)

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

How much does it cost for

1. 8600gt 512MB ddr3

Asking coz this item aren’t present right now at galaxy and is it sufficient for modern day games.

And why xfx 8800gt 512MB ddr3 (Rs. 15000) is more expensive than xfx 9600gt 512MB ddr3 (Rs. 12500)

[/quote]

8800GT is more powerful then 9600GT that is why 8800GT is expensive, compare both graphic card specification & you will see the difference.

@ Dark Lord: Man Gud to c someone from hyderabad. I studied there for a couple of years recently. And what about tayyab complex computer market, Man they r looters their rates are too much to handle.

yes at tayyab complex they are looters . Lots of people don't know about graphic cards, people only see that how mush memory does graphic card has and they buy it with their eyes closed. If you want a graphic card go with ATI 4850 or XFX 9800GTX Black Edition both are available at galaxy.

Brother I will suggest you that wait for at least a month XFX 9800GTX price has dropped at USA it has been sold at now 199$ here you will get at may be $250. right now it is not available at galaxy, i will buy that inshallah when it arrives at galaxy.

Man i don't hav that much budget, i'll probably go with 8600gt if possible, any way thanx to all for your suggestions.