Googles 'Knol'

As you guys might have read, Google just rolled out its wikipedia competitor/supplement called Knol. The way Knol differs from Wikipedia is that the articles are written by qualified professionals. Personally I use Wikipedia extensively for school and work, and I've never found its lack of 'moderated authenticity' if you will to decrease the quality of information available. However, with Google backing this new concept, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out! For more information:

http://knol.google.com

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/knol-is-open-to-everyone.html

damn it, now interest of people is gonna definitely divide and users gonna shift from wiki to google resulting in lack of articles in wikipedia.

i also use wikipedia very much .

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

damn it, now interest of people is gonna definitely divide and users gonna shift from wiki to google resulting in lack of articles in wikipedia.

i also use wikipedia very much .

[/quote]

Knol is very different than Wikipedia as it doesn’t allow anyone to edit/create articles, right?. So I am guessing there won’t be that much users (who contribute to wikipedia) migrating to Knol. And in most cases, an article written by multiple users/authors is better and more detailed, than the one that was written by only one person.

Knol is different because there can be multiple knols on the same topic and each knol has an author or a group of author who make the edits. But everyone can create his/her own knol.

I guess the good thing is a knol would tend to be more reliable than Wikipedia.

People can submit. The author can approve the changes. And money is included in this.

Wikipedia do have got team of professional editors. This is why every now and then they run a fund raising campaign.

Wikipedia do have got team of professional editors. This is why every now and then they run a fund raising campaign.
[/quote]

most of the Admins/Mods of Wikipedia are Volunteers. Their board of directors or upper management, Legal department and so on gets salary, but basically the fund raising is for Technical and other expenses related to Wikimedia Foundation.

I just dont like google taking over the world

[/quote]

I just don’t like Wikipedia’s tyranny. :confused:

[/quote]

That can’t be stopped

People have an incentive to write at Knol, i.e. free promotion and money through adsense. But I wonder how will that affect the quality.

I just don’t like Wikipedia’s tyranny. :confused:

[/quote]

That is more likely a few users’ Tyranny, than Wikipedia’s. If you find a few articles or wrong actions in Wikipedia, implementing it on whole of Wikipedia is plain wrong. Its like the Americans (some of them) who judge all Muslims or Pakistanis based on a few they have seen.