Google vs Microsoft; working culture

I came across this very nice article about why people leave Google and join/rejoin Microsoft. It compares working environment of both companies. Although it could be one sided but still it's a very interesting read. According to the write, Google is more fun, casual and doesn't emphasize much on processes while Microsoft is serious, means business and has processes in place.

http://www.25hoursaday.com/weblog/2008/06/29/TheGOOGMSFTExodusWorkingAtGoogleVsWorkingAtMicrosoft.aspx

That's why Google is more popular and successful than MS. I would personally like to work in an environment where I'm not under too many formal restrictions and where people are passionate about what they create. Looking at MS and Google products, it is certainly obvious that people working at MS are brainless bots, while those at Google are living people who love what they do.

At the end of the day, creativity and innovation thrives in restriction-free environments, not in meaning-business corporate hellholes.

I think Google will become just like MS as it matures...because at the end of the day its all about the money!

^it already has matured, according to company rankings, it's considered the #1 company in the world !

More on the same subject

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/05/business/05nocera.html?hp

Google co-founder Sergey Brin said he had no sympathy for the parents, and that he was tired of “Googlers” who felt entitled to perks like “bottled water and M&Ms”.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

^it already has matured, according to company rankings, it’s considered the #1 company in the world !
[/quote]

what was the criteria for these company rankings you speak of? as far is revenue is concerned MS is still the most successful s/w company…

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

what was the criteria for these company rankings you speak of? as far is revenue is concerned MS is still the most successful s/w company…
[/quote]

Not where it’s in competition with Google e.g. web search and online advertising.

old article but thought I'd post anyways:

http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/2006/inside_google/

Now I don't know about you guys, but I don't think I would get any work done if I were working in this kind of environment :P

To add to firestorms link, all those who can stream video, heres a tour of the Googleplex:

I've worked in a few different companies and I have friends who've worked in all kinds of big name companies. The general consensus is, as far as engineers go, we prefer a laid back environment, with as little restrictions and rules as possible. I personally believe such an environment especially in development jobs really helps creativity and out of the box thinking. Some people may see it as being 'unprofessional', but hey, thats just their opinion! :)

Though I do agree Google is a bit too lavish when it comes to perks, and if and when it hits a rough patch, all the needless expense will come back to bite them in their ass!