Google to launch its own social network website called Google Circles

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

London: Google is likely to launch its own social network in May.

According to technology blog, ‘The Next Web’, the search engine giant will unveil Google Circles at its Google I/O conference in San Francisco, reports the Daily Mail.

It is believed the network will allow users to selectively share content with people who are members of different social circles in their lives.

Users will be able to filter what content is shown to which group.

However, Google yesterday denied reports that the network is to launch at the South by Southwest technology event, currently taking place in Austin, Texas.

The company also refused to confirm or deny any plans for a social network website.

[/quote]

Source: http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2011-03-15/news/28691384_1_social-network-search-engine-giant-technology-blog

Google Wave was the failed social attempt :P Why are they going for another, if they really are.

Pocodot rocks :D. I just like like it's name.

Is google copying pocodot in Google Circles? Dots are round so are circles.. Hmm

Its an old news and google have denied it. Google have failed twice in shape of buzz and orkut

Why don't they takeover facebook instead of creating a new one :P

Why don’t they takeover facebook instead of creating a new one :P
[/quote]

Because Mark Zuckerburg is a very smart guy and he won’t let that happen. In fact Microsoft and Google have made several lucrative offers to him but he has refused them.

Also, i think if Google was to take over Facebook it would “go to the dogs” literally. Look at this trend:

Google acquires Orkut ----> Facebook takes lead

Google acquires Blogspot -----> Wordpress takes lead

Google acquires Picasa ------> Flickr takes lead

--

What about YouTube! Google acquired it and now it is the most famous video sharing website in the world.
[/quote]

x2

do google have a email management utility like Thunderbird

Well Google has the number one thing which is marketing its products. They are leader. The second thing comes when they need to provide a better service. If circles is going to be launched it should be better then Facebook or else people don't switch easily these days when they already are registered on Facebook and satisfied.

You never know !

What about YouTube! Google acquired it and now it is the most famous video sharing website in the world.
[/quote]

And it has failed to turn a decent profit after all these years. Google is always slow on the uptake. Other video sites provide much better user interface as compared to YouTube (e.g. Vimeo). No doubt though YouTube is one of the biggest video sharing sites on the internet but it does not have a decent user interface or coherent content management system (imho).

Case in point:

Have you noticed that when you load up a video in YouTube and then go full screen. It automatically upscales the video to 480i, so if you are on a slow connection the video hangs. This is very annoying!! Loads of people have written compaining about this but still Google is turning a deaf ear to them and has not fixed this.

--

i don't like youtube , i like vimeo

i don’t like youtube , i like vimeo
[/quote]

Vimeo suks, You will find more better videos on Youtube and I have noticed that youtube runs faster on a slow connection too, where others hang.

Second, this is neither a bug nor teasing or disturbing. If video upscales to 480p on enlarging, then simply click back to 360p.

[/quote]

Well, of course we can go back to 360, but that’s not the point!

The video will load again, and will take time again.

Why reload a video, which was already loaded, just because you went full screen?

Why is it mandatory? Why isn’t there any setting to disable it? Why does the video move to 480p by itself, when I didn’t even request it??

Edit: And it IS disturbing. It annoys the crap out of me, because I’m on Peeteeceealll.

@nab - I know it can get irritating, but you can change the settings when you log in. And it does become a bit problematic for us - but not in other regions of the world where video loads are instantaneous.

Google don't want other companies to be significant over the internet. They are big and they want every thing on internet under them

--

i think all videos should be 240p by default either be full screen or not, there only should be option if anybody wants anything more than 240p.

Why is it turning into a youtube bugs reporting thread ?