Google Maps Mobile Finds Your Location

found this interesting bit of info on telecompk.net

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
How Does Google Maps Find Me Work In Pakistan?

Published by Babar Bhatti on May 15, 2008 11:49 pm under Location Based Services, Mobile Applications, Personal Navigation Devices, Telecommunications

Recently a few readers and friends have asked about the google maps feature on mobile phones called find me (aka blue dot). This is a feature from google maps for mobile phones which shows your approximiate location on a web enabled mobile phone. GPS is not required. People love it! See this official google page for details on how it works, including a video.

The question was: how does google know my location in Pakistan? There are 2 pieces of local information needed: the tower location data and other is the map data. There are companies which sell such kind of data so expect this feature to be available at more and more places. Rest of the algorithm uses the signal information and the application is able to locate you within a certain degree of accuracy, therefore the term blue dot.

So go ahead, use your web-enabled phone and download google maps in case you don’t have it. And if you use this feature often please share where and how or better yet, send us pictures.

http://telecompk.net/2008/05/15/mobile-google-maps-find-me-pakistan/

[/quote]

i am impressed but i cant try it because it will cost a lot so people here who are using halva gprs plz let us know how accurate it is

Not supported on my phone. :( I'll try it out on my brother's Motorola!

EDIT: nope, isn't supported on any of the phones in my house...

Not supported on my phone. :( I’ll try it out on my brother’s Motorola!

EDIT: nope, isn’t supported on any of the phones in my house…

[/quote]

is it java based software or symbian one?

Google Maps works with the following devices:

Most Java-enabled (J2ME) mobile phones.

Palm devices with Palm OS 5 and above.

All color BlackBerry devices.

Windows Mobile devices with Windows Mobile 2003, 5.0 and above.

Symbian Series 60 3rd edition devices

[http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=39891&topic=9120]

Saad - thx for postin from my blog. I hope some one will create some interesting local app based on this.

-Babar

Find Me doesnt work on my Samsung D900i (J2ME, Telenor)

is it java based software or symbian one?

[/quote]

They’re all Java. The newest one I had was SE W200i :)

Works on a Nokia Symbian phone, I think since last year. Shows the location of the cellphone tower, plus a fudge factor. It's quite accurate, especially in areas with a lot of cell phone towers.

Great i want to try it

do you know how much data will be transfered with that software to check it out?

Great i want to try it

do you know how much data will be transfered with that software to check it out?

[/quote]

The software was 300k and i used another 300k for 2 minutes usage

I just installed and used it a bit, but i couldn’t find the blip thats supposed to be my location, searched all over pakistan but no blip. Do you have to go into satellite view for that?

*edit. Ah seems my location beta is not available for this device. If google maps is supported then why not my location.

did you zoomed in your own city?

google maps wasnt able to find my location, I checked twice once in morning and once in evening.....it said your location information is temporarily unavailable...

I zoomed in with and without sattelite view, but no blip....

Cell Phone : HTC Wizard (WM6)

Cellular Service Provider : Telenor

Internet Connection Used : LDN via Wifi

Works on my BlackBerry. It shows a blinking blue dot but doesn't show any location name or something.

Ok I zoomed a little and it seems Google is correct in spotting my location. It does seem to be Shara-e-Faisal where I am near FTC.

Great app mates! It shows my exact location and is working great on my nokia 6120c. When i opened the satellite view it loaded right over the bts near my home from which im getting my ufone signals. Simply perfect!

great will post about it on my blog

great will post about it on my blog
[/quote]

Nice Blog Saad i really liked it

Nice Blog Saad i really liked it

[/quote]

thnx i have just started it will try to make it much more better than what it currently is

thnx i have just started it will try to make it much more better than what it currently is

[/quote]

if u ask me its fine the way it currently is

if u ask me its fine the way it currently is

[/quote]

you talking about theme and stuff? (the theme has a problem with I.E6, will fix that later) i am talking about the content

remember content is king

i have got some exclusive stuff lined up to post but ain’t getting enough time as i am newbie and ain’t good at writing and require a lot of time, i was never good at writing essays at school

you talking about theme and stuff? (the theme has a problem with I.E6, will fix that later) i am talking about the content

remember content is king

i have got some exclusive stuff lined up to post but ain’t getting enough time as i am newbie and ain’t good at writing and require a lot of time, i was never good at writing essays at school

[/quote]

yes i was talkin abt the theme if ur writing is not too good u can have me as ur writer lol just kidding