Google Killer?

Anna Patterson, an ex-Google engineer has developed a search engine which supposedly indexes three times as many webpages as Google. Are Googles days numbered?:

www.cuil.com

Source: http://www.fool.com/investing/high-growth/2008/07/28/will-cuil-kill-google.aspx

It's not just the amount of indexed pages. It's how you use them that matters.

i appreciate her effort

atleast there shud b some competition for google

i didnt like it!

and apart from that my site isnt indexed yet

I like the interface and how the results are presented, but it needs a lot of improving in many areas. I typed a few search queries and the results were not relevant at all.

Google pays TO make sure that the results are relevant. On Cuil, the results are very irrelevant. I think all the spam sites got listed very easily on cuil.

Heads up to Cuil because atleast they had the balls to claim that they'll kill google.

Dont look at UI, try to compare the results with google and you will see the difference.

I think Cuil did a great job other than providing good search results :)

I don't think they (or anyone else right now) can kill Google -- not very easily at least.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
Heads up to Cuil because atleast they had the balls to claim that they'll kill google.
[/quote]

Got a lot of publicity just for saying that, didn't they! Add the fact they're ex-employees, and a free ride on the hype train!

I'll just say though that I haven't tried them yet so I can't say if they've got a better SE or not.

We are talking billions of dollars versus few millions. It will take a long while before it even matches up to MSN or Yahoo search, let alone google.

But definitely the hype created is outrageous! Smart marketing there; the blogosphere is filled with the same crap all over.

Google has one ever increasing giant network with more than enough staff and years to improve itself. I don't see any other search engine "killing" google anytime soon. Unless they have some big brains, deep pockets and solid ambition.

i doubt about that heavy pockets part coz Microsoft couldn't do anything to beat google

the UI seems pretty slick. i guess i'm gonna have to change my homepage :P

the UI seems pretty slick. i guess i’m gonna have to change my homepage :P
[/quote]

the search results are not too good!

i guess you should wait a little longer!

Sorry, i do not like this new Google Killer search engine. When I searched "www.idarieu.org", google displayed at first and cuil shows no where. So, I stick to google. If you dont belive try it what i tried.

Man this se is sick

i searched wiredpakistan and got a #$%#

no scene of wp there

Man this se is sick

i searched wiredpakistan and got a #$%#

no scene of wp there

[/quote]

it seems like it indexes all the spam and leaves the genuine sites!

The problem is inherent to its algorithm. It searches for your keyword, and then tries to find related keywords on the same page to see if its relevant or not. Spam sites use just this method to bump themselves up in the search results, and thats why Cuil does a really crummy job. Though it was JUST launched, so they might be able to tweak their engine to provide more relevant results in the future. All new products have teething issues. These guys made the mistake of creating too much hype before they even launched calling themselves the 'Google Killer', and their product imploded.

These guys made the mistake of creating too much hype before they even launched calling themselves the ‘Google Killer’, and their product imploded.
[/quote]

Yeah, that’s just bad thinking.

its nice one for searching :-)

The site is ok but they should get rid of the dark background plus the site is hosted at http://www.appliedops.net/ , they ought to host the site on their own servers. Google has come a long way and has a team of very creative folks, but as they say "theres always room at the top", yes there will be someone someday who will outperform Google but for its going to take a while before someone can accomplish the task. and its "Google Killer" Come on now!!

=========================================

P.S:

They DON'T even have any spell check script! haha . i deliberately misspelled a term and when i hit the Search button i got the following result.

""No results were found for: submit website to cuil

If you’ve checked your spelling, you could try using fewer or different keywords to broaden your search.

Still no luck? Send us your feedback: noresults at cuil dot com

========================================