Google Checkout

Anyone else here tried Google Checkout?

I made some payments to Namecheap through it and it went fine. It took 15 minutes for the transaction to complete [with confirmation emails from both sides] with my credit card. Biggest advantage is that its services are at least available in Pakistan unlike Paypal. IMO, this is a pretty good alternative to Paypal which will hopefully lose the Pakistani market because they refuse to provide services here.

Anyone having used it and Paypal, please comment on both and how they compare.

wow

I used PayPal when I was in UK

I am not familiar with google checkout and don't think most websites accept it

PayPal works on almost every website

^that's the main advantage of paypal but something is better than nothing so this google checkout is a good news

You can't use google checkout with person-to-person transactions which makes it almost useless .

For online shopping You can just use your CC where you are going to use checkout.

I am using Google Checkout for a long time back in 2007. love it. because also available to pakis.

@6778

why do u say such things, I really dont know

but it's good if you stay with only a single trusty that is processing your transactions. Google Checkout is just making users satisfied that their credit card details are going to be in ONE's safe hands, while shopping on different shops, even if you dont know about a site where are you going to pay. you are not supposed to give your credit card details to every newly opened online shop but you really can shop over there if they are requesting Google Checkout to take money on their behalf.

It's the game of TRUST.

Google Checkout is just to compete PayPal like things. not yet but it'll be at the level where PayPal is. with its cheap per transaction fees. it gives merchants more feasibility than the PayPal. and if you search about it. you will get to know how many merchants have been left PayPal which are just dealing with online Shopping. and have started with Google Checkout.

but no doubt Google Checkout is currently very far away from PayPal.

Google Checkout is currently just an Online Payment service,

where in PayPal. Online Payment is just a module of PayPal with other modules too.

but for me comparing the online payment service from both. I'll give Google Checkout the THUMBS UP. more because of it's also available for Pakistan. and the Online Payment is the one used very often.

and one thing Google Checkout is also now expanding more fast with the new websites. search for it.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Anyone else here tried Google Checkout?

I made some payments to Namecheap through it and it went fine. It took 15 minutes for the transaction to complete [with confirmation emails from both sides] with my credit card. Biggest advantage is that its services are at least available in Pakistan unlike Paypal. IMO, this is a pretty good alternative to Paypal which will hopefully lose the Pakistani market because they refuse to provide services here.

Anyone having used it and Paypal, please comment on both and how they compare.

[/quote]

Pakistanis can only pay for stuff via GC. They can’t sign up as merchants and use GC to receive money from customers.

Google Checkout is currently doing business with the merchants in UK and USA.

most companies are SO BIASED ABOUT US.

It's far from being a PayPal alternative. You need to have a CC to use Google Checkout, so it makes it kinda useless. Also, what rokra pointed out makes it even more worthless.

As for PayPal, it won't take us more than a minute to go from hating them to loving them if they launch their services in Pakistan. :P

It’s far from being a PayPal alternative. You need to have a CC to use Google Checkout, so it makes it kinda useless. Also, what rokra pointed out makes it even more worthless.

As for PayPal, it won’t take us more than a minute to go from hating them to loving them if they launch their services in Pakistan. :P

[/quote]

Given the current [negative] developments (:P) in Pakistan, it’s highly unlikely that they’ll launch their services in Pakistan anytime soon.

Reminds me of Microsoft Wallet. First it was introduced in Internet Explorer (client-side) then shifted to web-side Microsoft Passport (now known as Windows Live ID). A really failed attempt or you can say never catch on.

Looks like Google Checkout is version 2.0 (as of Web 2.0) of Microsoft Wallet. Like Microsoft Office (client-side) and Google Apps (web-side).

I put Credit-Card information once in Google Checkout, then I don't have to put information again to purchase any item that support Google Checkout. Great, but I don't enter credit card online information everyday, maybe once a month.

These kind of "automatically-use-credit-card-information-on-disk-file" services are great for people who use credit-card with very high frequency (weekly, daily or more often).

[EDITED]

Last night, I was very sleepy and couldn't find any clear help link in Google Checkout. Sleep makes me that stupid that I didn't even did Google search for help on Google Checkout. I am adding answer to my own questions to help other Wiredians

By the way, I can't find to make sure that Google doesn't send information about my credit-card to third party websites from which I purchase item.

Google does share some information (telephone number, address etc.) with third-party but does not give out credit card number to third-party

http://checkout.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=105823

If I purchase an item that is on third-party website then does Google pay on my behave without releasing any information of my credit-card to third party?

I am still not 100% sure but looks like Google pay on your behave

What will be on my credit-card's monthly report (Google Checkout or third-party's name)?

GOOGLE*Seller's name will appear on credit-card's monthly report

http://checkout.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=105916

For more details http://checkout.google.com/support/

It's good thing but it will be much better if they start services like PayPal. By the way, I read on some web that Google Checkout was (maybe still is) ban on eBay. http://auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y06/m07/i06/s02

^ Most of your questions are answered in Checkout FAQs.

AlertPay can be used as an alternative to PayPal

It have almost the same features as PayPal and is available in Pakistan

But again, AlertPay is not accepted at most of the websites

Sent paypal an email yesterday, inquiring reason for not offering services in Pakistan. Got this, (everythings crystal clear now .... not)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting PayPal, my name is Cris and I am happy to

assist you today.

I understand that you want to know why Pakistan is not yet one of the

country offerred by PayPal. As of the moment we are still working to

expand and improve our system.

In May 2007, PayPal added 87 new countries and regions to the list of

supported countries and regions. To see a list of all approved

countries:

1. Go to the PayPal website.

2. Click "Worldwide" or "More" at the bottom of the page.

3. Click "190 countries."

We hope to be expanding our availability to include more countries;

however, due to the complexities of global expansion, we cannot give a

timetable for this.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Cris

PayPal Consumer Support

PayPal, an eBay Company

Tried to use it. The charge was declined. It did charge me ONE dollar though for the verification thing or whatever.

I tried to do for NameCheap too, just wanted to check it. I can pay to NameCheap from my UBL Wallet.

> Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 02:01:37 +0000

> From: webform@paypal.com

> To: ###############

> Subject: Re: MyAccount (Routing Code: C840-L001-T21034-S999-W000000) (KMM86621907I96L0KM) :ppk1

>

> Dear Khurram Ali,

>

> Thank you for contacting PayPal, my name is Vicky and I am happy to

> assist you today.

>

> I understand that you want to set up your own PayPal account in

> Pakistan. I do apologize but currently we do not support the country.

>

> In order to best assist you, we recommend that you contact us by

> telephone for resolution/clarification. You may contact PayPal’s

> Customer Service at 1-402-935-2050.

>

> For future reference, this information is also located in the Help

> Center, and is easily accessible by following these steps:

>

> Go to the PayPal website.

> Click the “Contact Us” link.

> In the “Help by Phone” section click the “Customer Service Center” link.

>

> I appreciate the opportunity to assist you. We are committed to making

> your experiences at PayPal pleasant and rewarding.

>

> Sincerely,

> Vicky

> Consumer Support

> PayPal, an eBay Company

[/quote]

I just called as they asked in their email reply. and a girl said “there is not a certain reason for that the pakistan is not yet supported. paypal is expandg to add more countries”.

she also said: may be next year pakistan will be added :D its funny no?.

but I m not sure about that. they also give GOLIs :P

but this is a hell. why didn’t they tell me the same thing in the email above while they could have. I just wasted 10 minutes over the call. I thought, as they asked me to call specifically for the reason, I’ll get some use full information about why pakistan is not yet supported if I call. but I got what:/

and again. I am satisfied with my Google Checkout :). “ONLINE PAYMENT-I HAVE ATLEAST WHAT I NEED”

Tried to use it. The charge was declined. It did charge me ONE dollar though for the verification thing or whatever.

I tried to do for NameCheap too, just wanted to check it. I can pay to NameCheap from my UBL Wallet.

[/quote]

Which card did you use? The charge being declined is indicative of a non-functional card. It could be that the bank requires that you manually enable online transactions for that card.

The one-dollar charge is explained in the FAQs. It isn’t actually charged.

I just called as they asked in their email reply. and a girl said “there is not a certain reason for that the pakistan is not yet supported. paypal is expandg to add more countries”.

she also said: may be next year pakistan will be added :D its funny no?.

but I m not sure about that. they also give GOLIs :P

but this is a hell. why didn’t they tell me the same thing in the email above while they could have. I just wasted 10 minutes over the call. I thought, as they asked me to call specifically for the reason, I’ll get some use full information about why pakistan is not yet supported if I call. but I got what:/

and again. I am satisfied with my Google Checkout :). “ONLINE PAYMENT-I HAVE ATLEAST WHAT I NEED”

[/quote]

In an email sent a couple months back, Paypal stated that banking system and the services infrastructure here wasn’t good enough to handle transactions. Until that changes, Paypal wouldn’t be offering services here.

^yes Asad. I have heard this same thing as you said. and many other things from them at different times.

but I personally believe that they cant do business in Pakistan until the policies for investors are not changed on the favor of investors.

Why only some of the big fishes are doing businesses in Pakistan. because they just can afford giving much Money to the Government.

Pakistani Government wants by hook or by crook the investor give them most of his profit.

and why I am saying this. because the same has been experienced with my Company, I'll not disclose the name of it. we have only development offices over here in Pakistan. no business here.

and now our company is well doing business in India as well as in UK, Australia, and New Zealand.

and you know what India wants only? A BIG WELL ESTABLISHED INDUSTRY..... they say "COME AND DO BUSINESS WITH US". they really know if the industry starts in India then the money will come back to India.

and in here. we say No. these 5-years we have and we have to fetch all the money as we can in 5 years.