Good Wireless router for home use?

I want to buy good wireless router for home use.

There was a linksys router i dont remember the model but we can modify its firmware.

just guys tell me good wireles router

which allow me to use internet on both the

portion of my house.

Linksys Router WRT54G..The best router and it's very cheap just 3500 Rs.

I am using it and it works fine.I use laptop on upper portion sometimes and i get 2-3 signals and full speed on second portion.

Also There are a lot of firmwares for WRT54G but make sure you don't purchase Version 7 as there is no third party firmware for it.

Which Wifi modes does it supports? Is it an ADSL router or just a plain router?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Linksys Router WRT54G…The best router and it’s very cheap just 3500 Rs.

I am using it and it works fine.I use laptop on upper portion sometimes and i get 2-3 signals and full speed on second portion.

Also There are a lot of firmwares for WRT54G but make sure you don’t purchase Version 7 as there is no third party firmware for it.

[/quote]

Beliscity is selling it for Rs. 3,850.

http://www.beliscity.com/networking_wireless_wireless_routers/c10_77_503/p2539/linksys_compact_wirelessg_broadband_router_wrt54gc/product_info.html

You can share DSL, wimax, and cable net using Linksys WRT54G.Read more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

Wifi modes = a, b, g, n, ....

Wifi modes != DSL, Wimax, cable net...

It only supports G & B modes, Asad..Uzzie: Beliscity prices are messed up.Checkout rates at galaxy.

i dont really know much about wireless networking, i have this network adapter on my lappy, Intel® PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PCI Adapter. will Linksys WRT54G work with this network adapter? :)

Yes it will work with it.I highly recommend this router.I've also used DLink router but it was crap.I am running this router with 3 laptops and a pc without any problems at all.

thanks secc, i'll checkout regal market tomorrow.

Hmmm.. WHat's the difference between a wireless access point and a wireless router? Linksys has both.

Hmmm… WHat’s the difference between a wireless access point and a wireless router? Linksys has both.
[/quote]

-

# A wireless AP bridges traffic from wireless stations (PCs) onto an Ethernet local area network. Most APs have one radio card for communicating with wireless stations and one Ethernet port for communicating with a wired LAN. APs just provide physical LAN connectivity; they do not route/firewall traffic to the Internet.

# A wireless router combines both broadband router and wireless AP features inside one box. A wireless router can have a built-in cable or DSL modem or a “WAN” Ethernet port that connects to your existing modem. It provides basic firewall features, including Internet connection sharing, and an AP for connecting wireless stations. Most also have a built-in Ethernet switch to connect ~4 wired stations to the LAN.

(Copied from a Tech Site)

Wireless Access Points are cheaper.

-

# A wireless AP bridges traffic from wireless stations (PCs) onto an Ethernet local area network. Most APs have one radio card for communicating with wireless stations and one Ethernet port for communicating with a wired LAN. APs just provide physical LAN connectivity; they do not route/firewall traffic to the Internet.

# A wireless router combines both broadband router and wireless AP features inside one box. A wireless router can have a built-in cable or DSL modem or a “WAN” Ethernet port that connects to your existing modem. It provides basic firewall features, including Internet connection sharing, and an AP for connecting wireless stations. Most also have a built-in Ethernet switch to connect ~4 wired stations to the LAN.

(Copied from a Tech Site)

Wireless Access Points are cheaper.

[/quote]

I think most of the equipment sold these days are “wiress router”

Can I connect to more than one AP on single wifi card at the same time ? or will I need more wifi cards for that ?

Can I connect to more than one AP on single wifi card at the same time ? or will I need more wifi cards for that ?
[/quote]

No, you cant.You need multiple wifi cards for that.

And what about signal strength/range? Do either of AP/Router generally have the same range?

And what about signal strength/range? Do either of AP/Router generally have the same range?
[/quote]

They usually do have the same range as per my experience. Linksys usually have the best routers around. My d-link router (the one I bought for 3,000rs) doesn’t go beyond 25ft.

Anyways, you’re to spend around 6k if you want a router that at least has a decent coverage.

6K? For antenna replacement with a better one?

The Linksys ones are 3.5K-5K.

Linksys Router WRT54G…The best router and it’s very cheap just 3500 Rs.

Also There are a lot of firmwares for WRT54G but make sure you don’t purchase Version 7 as there is no third party firmware for it.

[/quote]

How the check te version of the router from the box

How the check te version of the router from the box

[/quote]

Yaar I am not sure.You should probably ask the sales man.Btw, search for it on google.I am sure you will find something useful.

Asad_N=If you need router with high range etc then just purchase Apple Router…It’s AWESOME.