Good hosting provider for forum

Hi, I made a smallish forum but it runs slow when compared to WiredPakistan. The forum software is about the same, is it my host webhostingpad that is slowing it down or could it be something else ?

Also what is a good host for forum's etc and what provider does WP use ?

Thanks,

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Hi, I made a smallish forum but it runs slow when compared to WiredPakistan. The forum software is about the same, is it my host webhostingpad that is slowing it down or could it be something else ?

Also what is a good host for forum’s etc and what provider does WP use ?

Thanks,

[/quote]

WiredPakistan.com’s forum is using FluxBB and you are (on PakGuns.com) using PunBB (am I right here?). Both are seem to be same but FluxBB is the original one.

Is it slow on downloading (bandwidth) or slow on executing PHP code?

WiredPakistan.com’s forum is using FluxBB and you are (on PakGuns.com) using PunBB (am I right here?). Both are seem to be same but FluxBB is the original one.

Is it slow on downloading (bandwidth) or slow on executing PHP code?

[/quote]

AFAIK, PunBB is the original one… FluxBB is the copy (with better code and features. :P).

Yep you're right, I'm using PunBB. The code seems to be executing fine, the host itself seems a little slow.

When you visit the forum how does it perform in terms of loading etc when compared to WP ?

I have only tested it on my own Internet connection, everything else is running fine, just the the Pakguns site and forum seem to take a bit more time to load.

Actually even my Cpanel seems slow. With the intenet issues that I've been having on Worldcall cable lately I don't know if it's me or my host.

Any good recommendations for another host if I want to change ?

AFAIK, PunBB is the original one… FluxBB is the copy (with better code and features. :P).

[/quote]

Yeah, you are right, sorry :(. FluxBB is a fork of PunBB.

Confused with all those BBs ;)

But still the question is; Is it slowness in download (bandwidth) or processing PHP code or MySQL database?

If it’s PHP then PHP accelerator might help. But isn’t it suppose to be already there? :confused:

It's the slowness in bandwidth in my opinion. The code/sql seems to be processing fine.

I've trashed the website as well, in the process of installing wordpress which Specter recommended.

It’s the slowness in bandwidth in my opinion. The code/sql seems to be processing fine.

I’ve trashed the website as well, in the process of installing wordpress which Specter recommended.

[/quote]

You can try www.thiswebhost.com or any other host that doesn’t oversell madly.

They will be expensive but worth every buck!

I’ve trashed the website as well, in the process of installing wordpress which Specter recommended.
[/quote]

Wordpress is good for blogging and blogging only. I believe your web-site has much larger area then just blogging.

There should be link to your blog in menu, just like link to forum. My suggestion is that don’t turn your web-site into just a blog.

However, of course, it’s your web-site and you are one who has right to make decision about it.

@ Abbas

Very nice theme in Wordpress. I really like it. :)

Thanks Wampyr.

You're right, the website is and aims to be much more than just a blog site. I'm testing out a couple of ideas / themes. If the wordpress thing doesn't work out the way I want it to I'll go back to the old site with your and slave's suggested modifications.

I already made the new page like you guys suggested but wanted to test out other options before I finalize it. I'll upload a copy for you to look at..

Here is the old page.

http://www.pakguns.com/index.htm

And the new page with your suggestions.

http://www.pakguns.com/test1.htm

I'd appreciate Slave's opinion too if he's around.

yep nice WP theme.

you can make it better changing the background image some what like your targeted content. but withe same color scheme. if you want to stay with WP.

in WP put a clickable direct link to the forum on side bar or on the top pages links. adding to the top would be a nice idea but with that you'll have to put a statement in that new page to redirect it to the forum. if dont want to make this trouble just you can put it as a link on side bar.

but as you have other pages with your own content. on that point wampyr is right.

but if you have some idea tricking with WP you can manage to take your all pages in it as I have seen in your above links.

and if you are not familier with WP development, then really keep away from it :)

and your own black layout, try to use frames very less, or use them carefully as you are not taking the real advantage of frames currently.

and in tab buttons use transparent gif images rather than with white corners.

and put this tab line right above the frame below without any space.

@ Abbas

I checked both version of your original website (index.htm and test1.htm). I noticed that you have remove multiple logos and set a large logo on right-side.

There are two more options:

1) Making web-site from scratch, it will be light-weight, fast and few parts will be edit-able using online editor.

2) How about making your main web-site using Joomla. You'll be able to use new themes (templates) to totally change the outlook of your web-site. Online editor to update your web-site from anywhere. It will be bit easier to manage.

You'll be able to link to your forum and blog.

I can also help you with Joomla and setting up site. Though, my experience in Joomla is not that much (just a couple of sites) but I have extensive knowledge in PHP and MySQL.

Plus, let's throw a few small light-weight flash animation here and there :)

apne yaar ke liya itna bhi nahi to hum kis kaam ke liya :)

Look Below.

Thanks Wampyr.

You’re right, the website is and aims to be much more than just a blog site. I’m testing out a couple of ideas / themes. If the wordpress thing doesn’t work out the way I want it to I’ll go back to the old site with your and slave’s suggested modifications.

I already made the new page like you guys suggested but wanted to test out other options before I finalize it. I’ll upload a copy for you to look at…

Here is the old page.

http://www.pakguns.com/index.htm

And the new page with your suggestions.

http://www.pakguns.com/test1.htm

I’d appreciate Slave’s opinion too if he’s around.

[/quote]

Install a CMS and start from scratch. Like Drupal or Joomla. Use modules if you need.

@ Abbas

I can also help you with Joomla and setting up site. Though, my experience in Joomla is not that much (just a couple of sites) but I have extensive knowledge in PHP and MySQL.

Plus, let’s throw a few small light-weight flash animation here and there :)

apne yaar ke liya itna bhi nahi to hum kis kaam ke liya :)

[/quote]

Lol , thanks ! I appreciate the help. I did actually scrap the entire website and started over. Just put a single banner and a frame for text and navigation. Re did all the buttons.

I will give Joomla a look although I am thinking of sticking to a plain fast loading web page till I get enough time to learn to use a CMS.

I just found out that I can't change hosting because my current hosting is paid for till 2010 and they just told me that it's non refundable. Sux.. Webhostingpad is slow and is down for couple of minutes several times every day.

But did a little research before I found out I couldn't refund and found the two best hosting providers to be HostGator and BlueHost.

Links are www.bluehost.com & http://www.hostgator.com

I just found out that I can’t change hosting because my current hosting is paid for till 2010 and they just told me that it’s non refundable. Sux… Webhostingpad is slow and is down for couple of minutes several times every day.

But did a little research before I found out I couldn’t refund and found the two best hosting providers to be HostGator and BlueHost.

Links are www.bluehost.com & http://www.hostgator.com

[/quote]

It’s really hard to get refund from a web host. It’s more hard to predict which web host will perform better even after a month. Because some web host work pretty good in start but due to over-selling they ruin their system to nothing more than crawling. That’s why I don’t put finger on anyone of them.

You can try WiredPakistan.com web host. Although, they have bad reviews but as we have been using it (as a member of forum) for more than a year, it’s good and it gives good results. You better ask from KO for review of this web host.

my site used to be on thiswebhost.com

in abt 6 months with them i have not had a single downtime and they have always performed well for me

@Wampyr I like WP's hosting as the speed is great but I do get DOS atleast once everyday.

@Ruhaan I acutally like thiswebhost, I was seriously considering them as well it's just that their packages are a little steep compared to BlueHost & Hostgator for roughly the same quality of service.

How will a dedicated IP help ? Will the speed be faster ?