Going to UK

Hey guys, im doing my ACCA right now which will be completed in 2 years. Anyway i just wanted to get a visa and go to the UK after my ACCA to maybe get a higher qualification or maybe to go there and earn for a few years and then get a higher qualification. Plus i also intend to stay in UK pretty much the rest of my life. I wanted to know what process do i have to go through and how much time does that process take to get a visa for UK. I dont know anything about Visas so can someone please explain to me what is the process?

Also when should i apply for a visa? I plan to be out after my acca which will take around 2-2.5 years.

Im only gathering information right now, i dont want to leave the things for the last minute and i really want to plan everything before hand.

I think i might not be required IELTS because i had A levels and in General Paper i got B and in O level English i got B too.. I applied after my A levels and most university wanted either B at A level in General Paper or IELTS.

Anyway the problem is i might not want to go there for studies. My parents are not financially strong enough so i will have to earn on my own and only then i can pay my fees. I was thinking of going there and doing a job for a few years and then doing some degree in Accounting.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I think i might not be required IELTS because i had A levels and in General Paper i got B and in O level English i got B too… I applied after my A levels and most university wanted either B at A level in General Paper or IELTS.

Anyway the problem is i might not want to go there for studies. My parents are not financially strong enough so i will have to earn on my own and only then i can pay my fees. I was thinking of going there and doing a job for a few years and then doing some degree in Accounting.

[/quote]

Unfortunately that will be tough to say the least. I’m not sure of the rules of UK, but if they allow you to work 20 hours a week (part-time) on a student visa, you should be able to help with the finance.

Hey guys, im doing my ACCA right now which will be completed in 2 years. Anyway i just wanted to get a visa and go to the UK after my ACCA to maybe get a higher qualification or maybe to go there and earn for a few years and then get a higher qualification. Plus i also intend to stay in UK pretty much the rest of my life. I wanted to know what process do i have to go through and how much time does that process take to get a visa for UK. I dont know anything about Visas so can someone please explain to me what is the process?

Also when should i apply for a visa? I plan to be out after my acca which will take around 2-2.5 years.

Im only gathering information right now, i dont want to leave the things for the last minute and i really want to plan everything before hand.

[/quote]

I am an ex ACCA student, plus i have been trying to get out of pakistan for the last 2 years. First of all it probably will take you about 3 years to complete ACCA. Then its not possible (very unlikely) that you get to go to UK for a job, you can get a student visa but then they will send you back once your course is complete. To live there for the rest of your life you must marry a citizen there, thats the only way there is.

The visa process is simple but tiresome. you need a hell lot of documents to prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself, educational documents. Documents in urdu are to be translated in english, then they all are to be verified/attested from an oath commissioner. It takes about 1 week to ready all your documents if you wake up early morning to go out for this purpose and a month if you are lazy. After your documents are ready you go to a fedex office and hand your documents to them with the visa fee’s. (i cant remember if you have to pay it to the fedex guys or include a cheque in your documents package)

Earlier the embassy contacted you after a while and called you in for an interview, if you passed the interview you would get the visa. I am not sure if its still the same process, i heard from someone that they dont call for interview for student visa’s anymore. But you may want to check on that

they stopped calling for interviews in August/September last year, now they only give the slip with the appointment date and time.. you have to visit there for the finger prints and thats it. No interview

appointment is the same thing as interviews except that they ask general questions.one more thing you have to give tb test not medical test as others requires as for living their for your rest live is very difficult.even hsmp process for uk immigration can't help u out.try another countries like irealand for jobs on the Basis of your qulification.my brother working thier as accontant he did ACCA/CA from pakistan and he worked in karachi for some time then left for irealand.

appointment is the same thing as interviews except that they ask general questions.one more thing you have to give tb test not medical test as others requires as for living their for your rest live is very difficult.even hsmp process for uk immigration can't help u out.try another countries like irealand for jobs on the Basis of your qulification.my brother working thier as accontant he did ACCA/CA from pakistan and he worked in karachi for some time then left for irealand.

Oh i see.

To live there for the rest of your life you must marry a citizen there, thats the only way there is.
[/quote]

That cant be right? I mean there must be some other way? As you've done ACCA i think you can help me alot. Did you take any other qualification after your ACCA?

Also, how long before i intend to be in UK should i apply for the visa?

Oh i see.

That cant be right? I mean there must be some other way? As you’ve done ACCA i think you can help me alot. Did you take any other qualification after your ACCA?

Also, how long before i intend to be in UK should i apply for the visa?

[/quote]

I didnt complete ACCA, i quit last june after having passed the first 5 papers (had done CAT before that)

Well there is a way, if you get a job somewhere where you are very valuable to company and they cant afford to lose you. Alot of people i know studied in UK and they had to come back after doing MBA’s and stuff, none could find any jobs.

I must add its difficult to get a good paying job on the basis of ACCA, the other day i saw you had posted some links of the high paying job available to ACCA qualified guys. I was amazed to be true. In ACCA’s own magazine (student accountant) i mostly see jobs advertisements that pay 30,000 pounds p.a.

Also if you open any student accountant try reading the section “success stories” i have never seen a person quoted as a success story who only had to do ACCA. All the success stories are people who are MBA(who already has a job) + ACCA.

My problem is that after ACCA i am not sure which qualification i want to go for, and if i select a qualification i dont have the funds to pay for its fees and i will have to pay for it myself. So was kinda hoping to go to UK, earn and then start my qualification.

I was looking at the Jobs for ACCA and i came up with those so i posted them. To be honest i was suprised myself. Most of the jobs were for ACCA or ACA or.. there was one more qualification whose name i forgot. Anyway those jobs werent entirely for ACCA's.. They were for quite a few qualifications and maybe they wont really prefer ACCAs in those jobs.

Anyway, From what ive heard from some other accounting forums, is that ACCA is pretty much equivalent to ACA in UK. I talked to this guy from UK and i told him i might want to do ACA after ACCA he said its a waste of money it wont be of any use because both are equivalent in UK.. ACCA is just ACA without work experience. He told me that its better to have 1 degree(ACCA) + work experience rather then 2 degrees (ACCA and ACA).

I think over here in pakistan people really degrade ACCA for some reason and they only usually prefer ACA. ACCA is by no means a bad qualification.. its almost as good as CA(ICAP). I was a student of ICAP before i shifted to ACCA and believe me every single course you are taught in ACCA is the same which is taught in CA. Only difference is that in CA you do articleship and in ACCA you dont. Anyway thats a whole different story.

Why did you quit ACCA after 5 papers?

You dont do articleship in ACCA? But you do. You must do 3 years of PER (practical experience requirement) before you are awarded the certification.

Yes ACCA is equivalent to most of the Accouting certifications, (ACA, CA, FCA, CIMA FCCA etc.) and there's no use having 2 accounting certifications. What really goes well is ACCA with MBA.

I quit basically because supply of ACCA qualified people is soon going triple and quadruple the demand. Then its the same shitty positions and the low paying jobs. Everyone i know is doing ACCA everywhere (karachi, lahore, islamabad, quetta) :/ It would be good if you turn out to be an extraordinary student. But thats not me, i have always wanted to be an ordinary student

Yeah but its not exactly 'articleship'.. You earn and work like a normal job. In CA, article ship is pretty hard plus you only get paid like 6000rs per month.

Anyway after ACCA the whole field of Accounting is opened. You can opt for ACA, or CA, or MBA, or BSc in Accounting etc etc.. There is a variety of different options. ACCA isnt the last degree for me. I have to do something after ACCA too so the problem of ACCA field getting saturated is not going to be a problem because i dont intend ACCA to be my only qualification.

Also, i know a few friends doing ACCA.. Its really not that easy.. In fact part 3 is very very hard. One of my friends who is a brilliant student and always gets top grades.. cleared all papers in first attempt of ACCA but in part 3 his one paper didnt get cleared yet. Most of the people in my class are usually B.com qualified and ACCA is pretty much the last qualification for them. So they'll give papers 1 by 1 and they'll probably pass it.. They're not really smart though :),

Anyway i think the salary and the position for an ACCA would widely depend on how much time he took to compelte ACCA.

alamode, man you can go for MBA from any London university, most of london universities offer that ... if you have successfully completed ACCA go to london as a student to do MBA, I think after completing ACCA you only have to do the Last semester or the last year of MBA. I am not sure about that but I will confirm it ...

btw what is so special about London, try for Australia or Canada they are much better as compared to London.. Australia offers residency in 3 years after degree and I think Canada also ... and you will be able to find a better job in AUS or CAN than London during study.

the "articleship" is hard only in the bigger firms because most of the seniors in those firm treat the fresh people like crap... they ask the fresh people to make tea, make photo copies stuff like that .... for atleast six months ... then its the turn for the "new fresh people" except for the girls ... a friend of mine is doing the articles in Fergusons last monday he was going to the mechanic with his Boss' car for the repair. and another friend of mine who is also doing articles in a small firm he says that from day 1 he is handling accounts and the office work not the PEON job... and the monthly stipend is Rs. 3500/- right now but I think in June it will be 6000/- ICAP increased it.

btw what is so special about London, try for Australia or Canada they are much better as compared to London… Australia offers residency in 3 years after degree and I think Canada also … and you will be able to find a better job in AUS or CAN than London during study.
[/quote]

Yeah :D I almost had somewhat similar plans as alamode. Then i quit ACCA and now got admission in an accounting course. I hope i get a visa for there. You get TR (temporary resident) status in 2 years which gets converted to PR (permanent resident) status after 6 months

Hey alamode im a current acca student and passed my 10 papers in 1.5 yrs & last 4 are scheduled in this june I also have the same intentions that u have like planning for uk but currently I also don't have any info on these processes but will be sorting them out in few weeks after my papers get done. So perhaps might be able to help you, besides that i've heard that people somewhat get jobs easily over there while in progres of acca (told vy some friends who went there about a yr ago) but you certainly have tto pay initial fee for any college you register & show certain amount in ur bank account perhaps 1.5m. Than u earn ur own ,save & can easily pay fees.

I see. Showing money in the bank account would be bit of a problem. The reason im chosing UK (Not London specifically because London is expensive) is well, England has a real attraction of Football and im a big Manchester United fan :D. Lol, that was one of the reasons why i was choosing UK. I know it sounds silly though. Anyway if UK doesnt work out then my 2nd choice would be America or Canada. America because 2 of my brother already live there.

One of my brother is a Chartered Accountant and he did his Articleship from Fergusson. He's told me all about it and its horrible the way they treat you in the start. Plus the stipend is really low and it sucks !.. But yeah once you're qualified as a CA in pakistan, then you can enjoy.

I hope i get a visa for there. You get TR (temporary resident) status in 2 years which gets converted to PR (permanent resident) status after 6 months
[/quote]

Which country you're talking about? Australia?

@Shakeeb

Yeah there are lots of part time jobs for ACCA's availible in UK.

Anyway no one really replied to one of my questions, How much time does it take to completely process the Visa process? I want to apply with alot of Margin so as soon as my ACCA is completed, i would go abroad.

Oh and almost forgot, Isnt ICAEW introducing their ACA program from ICAP and ACCA students? When is that and what is its cost? I can do ACCA, Then ICAEW and then only 2 more papers to pass and ill be a CA(ICAP) too. Thats a good route, No?

well, the visa process for students takes about 15-20 days at most. if you have all the documents needed.

ICAEW, Canadian and American are also coming to Pakistan... there was a seminar in Lahore about 3-4 months ago .... but I dont know the details ...

and about that ICAEW CA, first u do ACCA then ICAEW, which is 3 years Internship with 11 papers I think (i dont know how many credits does one get after ACCA) .... and then ICAP's papers I think 2 or 3... then you will be Pakistani ACA ...

Which country you’re talking about? Australia?
[/quote]

yes i meant australia.

well, the visa process for students takes about 15-20 days at most. if you have all the documents needed.
[/quote]

really? for australia the process takes 4 months, are the aus high commission guys lazy or the UK guys efficient.

I am talking about UK Student Visa. I know that coz one of my cousin was rejected within 10 days and the other one was granted in 15 days.

If you really wanna go to UK, I would advise you to go to Scotland, there is a university in Glasgow which offers MBA + industry placement for 2-5 years depending upon the student abilities. but first do complete your ACCA.

@ Executionist are you sure, I am talking about Study Visa ... my friend's brother got AUS Study Visa in 20 days. but you have to have all the documents

10-15 days is pretty good.

If i go for an MBA, is there any chance that by working part time as an ACCA, can i cover majority (70%) of my expenses? (Food, Rent, Electricity, Fees).