GoDaddy CEO Bob Palmers in hot waters over killing elephant

Got an email from Namecheap:

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
It's not often that we would disagree publicly with a competitor, but we at Namecheap are very disturbed by this video [ http://www.video.me/ViewVideo.aspx?vid=380843 ] of a competitor killing an elephant for sport. Check out the ABC News Report (Warning: Very Graphic!) [
]

We've decided to throw our support behind our Elephant friends by offering domain transfers at a price where we actually lose money.

Show your protest by saying BYEBYEGD again and transfer your domains to Namecheap for $4.99 for the next 24 hours through 11:59pm EST on 3/31/11 (limit 10 per user, valid for all com/net/org domains).

On top of that, we'll donate $1 for each transfer to Save The Elephants at http://www.savetheelephants.org/

Use coupon code BYEBYEGD and let's help the Elephants together!

Regards,

Team Namecheap

[/quote]

Further...

http://ecocentric.blogs.time.com/2011/03/30/shooting-an-elephant%E2%80%94why-godaddys-ceo-was-wrong

Shooting an Elephant—Why GoDaddy's CEO Was Wrong

Posted by BRYAN WALSH Wednesday, March 30, 2011 at 6:36 pm

We all shoot vacation videos, but most of us choose to keep them to ourselves—or, at worst, share them with our Facebook friends. Bob Parsons—the CEO of the Internet hosting firm GoDaddy.com, which you will know from its lame Super Bowl ads and absolutely nothing else—likes bigger exposure. Parsons recently posted a video of his trip to Zimbabwe, where he shot an elephant. See below:

Now, there are so many things wrong with this video that it's hard to know where to start. First off: is it really appropriate to score a scene of hungry villagers in Zimbabwe tearing apart a dead elephant to the tunes of AC/DC's "Hells Bells"? And I can't be the only one who found it creepy that Parsons had outfitted nearly everyone in the area with bright orange GoDaddy baseball caps. Not to mention the fact that this is all taking place in Zimbabwe, a broken country oppressed by the tyrannical Robert Mugabe, where 64% of the population lives under the poverty line and nearly 100% live in fear. This is one step up from taking spring break in North Korea.

But of course the biggest criticism has come from animal rights advocates who view Parsons' video—which shows him shooting and killing an elephant, then standing proudly over its corpse—as, well, showing poor taste. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) singled out Parsons for particular abuse:

I am writing to present you with PETA's first-ever scummiest CEO of the year award (your certificate is on the way). You deserve the award for your egregious disregard for the life of the elephant you shot and killed for your personal enjoyment. Such behavior only shows a poverty of understanding and a deep insecurity, perhaps in your own masculinity. Nonlethal methods are available to protect crops from elephants left hungry because of their disappearing habitat.

Parsons defended himself on his blog, arguing that his target was a "problem elephant" that had been destroying the crops of a nearby village:

I stand by my decision to help African villagers. I believe elephant management is beneficial. I have the support of the people who really matter in this situation, the families of Zimbabwe -- people who need help to survive. I have the support of tribal leaders and the government.

Parsons isn't totally wrong—there is such a thing as "problem elephants," and human-elephant conflict is real issue that needs to be dealt with in parts of Africa. From the World Wildlife Fund (WWF):

Not only are elephants being squeezed into smaller and smaller areas, but farmers plant crops that elephants like to eat. As a result, elephants frequently raid and destroy crops. They can be very dangerous too.

While many people in the West regard elephants with affection and admiration, the animals often inspire fear and anger in those who share their land.

Elephants eat up to 450kg of food per day. They are messy eaters, uprooting and scattering as much as is eaten. A single elephant makes light work of a hectare of crops in a very short time.

But that doesn't mean that the best way to deal with this conflict is for rich foreigners like Parsons to make like Hemingway. There are sensible, non-lethal solutions, including chili and tobacco-based deterrents that keep elephants out of farmers' fields, or simply growing crops that elephants don't like. WWF has more in this issue brief.

It's worth remembering that people bear at least as much responsibility as elephants do for any conflict, as human population grows, putting more and more pressure on the elephants. Contra Parsons, the African elephant is hardly thriving—the International Union for the Conservation of Nature lists them as vulnerable. It's been a long time since shooting an elephant could be considered fashionable.

[/quote][quote=", post:, topic:"]
http://www.examiner.com/pet-rescue-in-national/go-daddy-ceo-bob-parsons-shoots-elephants

Daddy CEO Bob Parsons shoots elephants

March 30th, 2011 12:38 pm ET

by Cheryl Hanna

Go Daddy founder and CEO Bob Parsons' video blog entitled "Hunting Problem Elephants - My 2011 Vacation" shows him standing next to a bull elephant he allegedly killed. The next day villagers, many wearing Go Daddy baseball hats, are shown butchering the animal with AC/DC's "Hell's Bells" music playing loudly in the background.

"For the second year in a row, I spent ten days hunting elephant in Zimbabwe. Of everything I do this the most rewarding," stated Parsons in his video.

Animal rights activists are outraged. The video begins with an area of damaged crops in a sorghum field allegedly done by elephants searching for food. The elephants are being driven out of their natural habitats, and their food supply is decreasing. At night a hunting party opens fire; a bull elephant is dead, and the rest of the herd runs away.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) nominated Parsons for the "first ever scummiest CEO of the year award" for his "egregious disregard of the elephant you shot and killed for your personal enjoyment." PETA is reported to have canceled their account with Go Daddy.

Change.org's Laura Goldman described the film as a "gruesome four-minute video -- an elephant snuff film." Change.org campaigns and petitions for social change and raises awareness about important causes, empowering citizens to take action. More than 1,000 people have signed the petition.

Humane supporters contend there are many non-lethal methods available to farmers to protect their crops. IFAW - Saving Animals in Crisis Around the World spokesperson Grace Gabriel states there are better ways to alleviate the human-elephant conflict. Suggested strategies to keep elephants out of farm areas include chili-infused string fences, beehives on poles, people guarding the areas and making loud noises when the elephants approach, or spotlights.

Parsons, however, defends his position and says the killing of elephants is justified. He states PETA and other humane organizations are "misinformed" and in Zimbabwe, Botswana and South Africa elephants are not endangered. According to the IFAW website, African elephants are endangered and protected under the US Endangered Species Act and the International Union for Conservation of Native and Natural Resources. Elephants in Zimbabwe, however have far less protection.

Kevin McNally, a Palm Beach County, Florida resident and humane activist who has been a visitor to Africa and specifically to Zimbabwe, says this, "When you watch an elephant and appreciate its beauty, strength, and intelligence, I think it is a poor testament to a man like Parsons to shoot the animal when there are so many options. These are animals that are being punished by a rifle and death because of some over zealous rich man, and because it is man's fault for pushing the animals out of the only homes they have ever known. Parsons is rich.There is no excuse for any of this. Why, with all of this man's money, can't he come out with a viable solution so these magnificent animals can live in peace? GoDaddy used to be my provider; no more."

[/quote]

He is such a freak. He buy models with his money. check godaddy commercial blog. Danica Patrick, the nascar racer and so on. what these girls have to do with godaddy lolzz.

at least poor villagers of Africa got to eat it :P

He just killed an elephant. People kill them all the time. Where do you think that fancy ivory mantle piece in your drawing room came from?

so what???? is that news???? Asad I never saw you starting a thread about your country men getting killed by target killing (shikar), yes i am talking about human beings and not animals..........

so what??? is that news??? Asad I never saw you starting a thread about your country men getting killed by target killing (shikar), yes i am talking about human beings and not animals…
[/quote]

I will when its Bill Gates or Steve Jobs leading the charge. Till then, stick to the topic and don’t bring politics needlessly into topics. Consider this a warning. :)

. Consider this a warning. :)
[/quote]

hmmm… OK let me rephrase it then since you mentioned Steve Jobs.

so what??? is that news??? Asad I never saw you starting a thread about Steve Jobs when his sub-contractor iPhone manufacturer FOXCONN have such a worst working conditions that led to about ten worker suicides, yes i am talking about human beings and not animals…

I haven't seen that news. What's stopping you from posting it?

^^

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/06/02/steve-jobs-strange-defense-of-foxconn.html

http://www.macstories.net/stories/steve-jobs-email-conversation-about-foxconn-suicides/

Once Parsons posted a piece on his blog supporting the killing of civilians by American soldiers in Iraq. That blog post got a lot of bad press and was eventually deleted. He does this sort of thing from time to time. Maybe he does it for the publicity i.e. to promote his company.

I saw the video and felt bad too. I was just wondering how can he post it

I saw the video and felt bad too. I was just wondering how can he post it
[/quote]

So we should not kill elephants but instead kill cows and Sheep? :P

I haven’t seen that news. What’s stopping you from posting it?
[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn#Controversies

@kashify

It is very controversial discussion and I dont want to indulge into it

Wild life should be protected, simple is that. If such activities continued then ultimately it would have a very bad impact on the environment. Exploitation of wildlife for human benefit and entertainment will one day remove all animals and forests and after that we will only visit museums to see skeltons of elephants just like now people visit museums to see dinosaurs.

At least he didn't kill a human, which is all too common around our part of the world.

Ok let see when he will killed a Tiger.

[/quote]

Wow excellent speech I like

"if you don't know how to fix it, Please stop breaking it"

Thanks Imran for sharing it.