Global Warming a lie?

I thought I'd post this after Ruhaan mentioned global warming in the cold fusion thread. Is global warming real, or just a political hoax?

References:

(Will post more references)

If you're interested you can read a lot more on the subject if you google it.

Couldn't be a lie, the climate is changing rapidly, we can see it for ourselves.

Previously I never looked into it but after watching this documentary called The Great Global Warming Swindle a couple of months ago, I think it's all a scam.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Previously I never looked into it but after watching this documentary called The Great Global Warming Swindle a couple of months ago, I think it’s all a scam.
[/quote]

Did you also read the arguments of the other side before reaching this conclusion?

Did you also read the arguments of the other side before reaching this conclusion?
[/quote]

If you look at the youtube documentary I linked above, they take the arguments of the other side and then argue them. For example they took Al Gores ‘The Inconvenient Truth’, and argued the facts he presented in it. I must say it was pretty convincing and they presented the opinion of people who seemed to have pretty solid credentials (I even looked up a couple of them!).

You have to admit though that human beings have an alarmist attitude. Any negative future outlook is readily accepted without much debate. How many people do you know who believe that global warming is affecting the planet and how many do you know who actually the facts and reasons behind what causes global warming! We tend to believe what the media feeds to us.

If you look at the youtube documentary I linked above, they take the arguments of the other side and then argue them. For example they took Al Gores ‘The Inconvenient Truth’, and argued the facts he presented in it. I must say it was pretty convincing and they presented the opinion of people who seemed to have pretty solid credentials (I even looked up a couple of them!).

You have to admit though that human beings have an alarmist attitude. Any negative future outlook is readily accepted without much debate. How many people do you know who believe that global warming is affecting the planet and how many do you know who actually the facts and reasons behind what causes global warming! We tend to believe what the media feeds to us.

[/quote]

Well, first of all I am sorry I can’t watch the documentary as I’m on a slow connection.

I’m not really an environmentalist so my position on this issue is a neutral one. But looking at the evidence for global warming, I find it hard to agree with global warming conspiracy theorists.

You have to admit that just as we human beings have an alarmist attitude, we also have the tendency to remain in denial of a potentially bad situation until we are faced with it and forced to accept it.

The scientific community is in consensus over global warming issue (source) and even great scientists like Stephen Hawking admit that global warming endangers earth’s future (source).

I know that any documentary that attempts to refute a popular issue such as global warming, is bound to be interesting. But unless you have proper scientific knowledge to be able to know if the claims made by the global warming deniers are valid or not, it’s difficult to take their side. Their arguments may just as well be some pseudo-science made to look like real science to get the attention of the skeptics.

If anyone really wants to take a position on this issue, please do your research and read the arguments from both sides before arriving at a conclusion.

@Abbas, you may want to take a look at this site http://www.aip.org/history/exhibits/climate/ It contains very detailed and in depth essays on the discovery of global warming with scientific evidence to support it.

BTW sah, that globalwarminghoax.com site is really pathetic. They have less information, more loud claims, and even more ads and affiliate links. If that's the best site global warming skeptics can put together, I really doubt the sincerity of their intention.

What's even more interesting is that most of the Google ads are about the threat of global warming, which certainly aren't going to help their agenda.

What people do for money and attention. :rolleyes:

I think if you take the time and research the issue, as opposed to just listening to the many shouting voices, you would eventually come to the conclusion that yes, global warming does exist and yes, it is a problem, albeit not as large as some people would have us believe. It doesn't mean that we should forget about it, but as far as I am concerned, the time, effort and resources spent discussing and promoting the opposing sides of this argument would be better used in combating something much less debatable, like poverty.

I'll do some more research and post some credible links. The website I posted was a bit lame, didn't look much into it. The Youtube documentary was supposed to be the main source.

the thing is global warming exists its not like we can do whatever we want to this planet and there will be no consequences

and sorry man sah i cant check out the documentary coz i m on dial up and it will take me ages

Ruhaan the argument is, human beings impact on the environment as a whole is negligible. Global warming is supposed to be a direct result of carbon products released by humans. These scientists argue that doesn't have a significant impact.

Ruhaan the argument is, human beings impact on the environment as a whole is negligible. Global warming is supposed to be a direct result of carbon products released by humans. These scientists argue that doesn’t have a significant impact.
[/quote]

yes the carbon products is the main problem and the claims made by these scientist i think is not correct

i mean look at the yearly temperature its rising isnt it?

and day by day its gettin hotter not just in Pakistan

Global warming is not a hoax. What you've read is simply nonsense from the "denier movement". They're kind of like people who say the Earth is flat, or 600 years old, or that NASA faked the Moon landings.

Read about them here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20122975/site/newsweek/print/1/displaymode/1098/

Ruhaan the argument is, human beings impact on the environment as a whole is negligible. Global warming is supposed to be a direct result of carbon products released by humans. These scientists argue that doesn’t have a significant impact.
[/quote]

I think it is not correct as carbon is from begning of earth exist and it consumed by other natural things in this world. I am not in science subject but watch some tv show on national geographic or discovery which shows how carbon consumed.

Yes it is dangerous if it excessive could not be cosumed naturally. I think this need to be researched more than post something which might not misguide others.

When i was a kid, the winters were almost unbearable in quetta, the summers were quiet pleasant. we always had snow in december and january a few times. Now we only have snow once every other year.

Now the winter's are much shorter and alot less cold, the summers are longer and hot as compared to before.

Then our elders tell us about the times they were kids, the winters were at their worst, and it snowed alot more then ever.

This is what i have observed in quetta which makes me think Global warming EXISTS and its HAPPENING

If you look at the Youtube documentary I posted, they don't argue that the temperature is not increasing. They're saying that temperature fluctuations are just part of the planets natural cycle and its not CAUSED by humans. So lets skip the childhood tales shall we! :P No one is saying the Earth is not getting warmer!

Global warming is there but how much and how much dangerious and when it is totally unbearable for human and when we have leave under ground that is question. I think it took lot time and might we not alive. I think there will invent some alternte source of power and fuel which may not disturbed more nature. And warming my reduce or halt furhter progress.

If you look at the Youtube documentary I posted, they don’t argue that the temperature is not increasing. They’re saying that temperature fluctuations are just part of the planets natural cycle and its not CAUSED by humans. So lets skip the childhood tales shall we! :P No one is saying the Earth is not getting warmer!
[/quote]

so your are sayin that all those toxic and dangerous gases have no affect on the climate its only the earths natural cycle i find this hard to belieeve

so your are sayin that all those toxic and dangerous gases have no affect on the climate its only the earths natural cycle i find this hard to belieeve
[/quote]

First of all, I’m not for or against the existence of man-made Global Warming. I’m just trying to setup a meaningful debate! So ‘I’ am not really saying anything. :)

The nay-sayers believe that the Earth has a natural temperature cycle (the ice age in the planets history etc), and it warms and cools on its own. Human beings have within the last couple centuries done a lot of things which can be considered harmful to the environment, but in the bigger picture, those activities are not significant enough to be a cause for Global Warming in itself.

I’m at work right now, but when I get home I’ll do some research and posts some links (non video…) on the opposing view point. Till then I won’t say more since it’ll basically be a circuitous debate. If you’re interested you can run a quick search of your own to see what it brings up.

First of all, I’m not for or against the existence of man-made Global Warming. I’m just trying to setup a meaningful debate! So ‘I’ am not really saying anything. :)

The nay-sayers believe that the Earth has a natural temperature cycle (the ice age in the planets history etc), and it warms and cools on its own. Human beings have within the last couple centuries done a lot of things which can be considered harmful to the environment, but in the bigger picture, those activities are not significant enough to be a cause for Global Warming in itself.

I’m at work right now, but when I get home I’ll do some research and posts some links (non video…) on the opposing view point. Till then I won’t say more since it’ll basically be a circuitous debate. If you’re interested you can run a quick search of your own to see what it brings up.

[/quote]

You want a debate on this matter by showing us one side of the picture?

There are no climatologists or experts here, there will be all sorts of theories but nothing even close to being meaningful.