Getting the most out of dial-up;

Hey guys!

Well, I'm jealous of all the high-speed connections but I also have a track record of making the most out of a dial-up connection, one way or the other! ;P I have downloaded zipped files of upto 100 - 120 MB on a WOL/LDN dial-up connection and continue to do so till this day. I was wondering...what's the most out of dial-up have you received and which connection you were using?

Speak up, for nostaligia's sake if for nothing else!! :D

getting the most out of dialup for me would be to be able to browse few sites, download few MP3 Files, that's it! i dont have enough patience to be able to download big files using such a connection so i avoided it

once i downloaded Plesk control panel i guess the size of the file was 592MB on dailup connection. and the link was by Dancom at that time.

i downloaded sims back in 2002 sized 210MB and couple of episodes of friends through kazaa media desktop around 100MB. But i think ruhaan_jslip used to download full length movies through dialup.

i am used to download MP3 songs from kaza and i meash and getting good speed from WOL/LDN Dialup services"SMS4NET.

for details:www.link.net.pk

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

once i downloaded Plesk control panel i guess the size of the file was 592MB on dailup connection. and the link was by Dancom at that time.
[/quote]

screams!

OH WOW. SERIOUSLY!

getting the most out of dialup for me would be to be able to browse few sites, download few MP3 Files, that’s it! i dont have enough patience to be able to download big files using such a connection so i avoided it
[/quote]

Patience is the active ingredient when using dial-up, eh? :P But seriously, I keep looking around at people using high-speed internet connections (my own brother uses LDN) while I am still stuck like glue on dial-up. Possibly because I am not at home that much? Downloading can’t be the factor because I have about 50 gigs of music and most of it is downloaded. :P

And come to think of it, I guess patience is the required and necessary virtue for any kind of internet connection, judging by the various DSL threads in this very forum!

i downloaded sims back in 2002 sized 210MB and couple of episodes of friends through kazaa media desktop around 100MB. But i think ruhaan_jslip used to download full length movies through dialup.
[/quote]

I downloaded the discography of Tool at one time and the file was about 290MB, so that’s the highest I have gone. I never dared to try downloading films or software…but I’m going to give this WOL/LDN dial-up a go and post my record here.

i am used to download MP3 songs from kaza and i meash and getting good speed from WOL/LDN Dialup services"SMS4NET.

for details:www.link.net.pk

[/quote]

Yeah, I use the same. Have you ever downloaded seperate MP3s or zip folders outside of Kazaa et cetera? I had the software on my PC but it was a virus magnet so I deleted it and now mostly use rapidshare, sendspace, yousendit etcetera for sharing and downloading music. The good thing is that it is a good choice for stuff like this and can handle the load without any disconnection.

I downloaded Jeff Dunham-Spark of Insanity.avi which is ~700MB, thru torrents, on my Warid GPRS. Not EDGE, it was all done on GPRS. I also downloaded Xubuntu ~550MB also thru torrents, on my Vfone. Vfone is faster than Dial Up but its still Dial Up. So those are the biggest files I have ever downloaded.

I am not one of those hardcore downloaders of torrents/advances games and all........can someone just tell us how to get the best out of the slow dialups if one wants to just make a simple Skype call.

What usually happens is that the voice either breaks up too often or lags several seconds.

If you can make skype to work on a slow dialup,that would be fine.

Yeah, I use the same. Have you ever downloaded seperate MP3s or zip folders outside of Kazaa et cetera? I had the software on my PC but it was a virus magnet so I deleted it and now mostly use rapidshare, sendspace, yousendit etcetera for sharing and downloading music. The good thing is that it is a good choice for stuff like this and can handle the load without any disconnection.

[/quote]

yeah, i am also used to download heavy MP3 Files like Video Songs from e.g apniisp.com and some other softwares related to graphics and gaming.

so in every manner i got WOL/LinkdotNET is much better then other ISP’s .

i am also used to check mostly dialup services of different ISP’s e.g MBL (Dialup Back up facility), Cyber ,Comsats PTCL Free dialup, but never get quality/desirable dialup speed.:(

So i decided that i will have always WOL/LDN in my Back up every time and any time e.g SMS4NET service :cool:

getting the most out of dialup for me would be to be able to browse few sites, download few MP3 Files, that’s it! i dont have enough patience to be able to download big files using such a connection so i avoided it
[/quote]

I used to download movies with emule. No loadshedding those days

^hats off to your patience!

Hi Friends,

I also agreed that some time we need to download very simple file/song but dial-up is not supported that time specially cyber,comsats.i always have some backup of cards although PTCL free services is still free for me as for all Broadband User's but i never connected easily from PTCL...dont know the reason.

SMS4NET is great addition in Dial-up circle.

[/quote]

Me too…around 2 1/2 years back. Then I got gprs which is also 56K but with no disconnection(almost) and stable speed and still downloaded movies. Then I bought Wateen wireless broadband last year…

Hi Friends,

I also agreed that some time we need to download very simple file/song but dial-up is not supported that time specially cyber,comsats.i always have some backup of cards although PTCL free services is still free for me as for all Broadband User’s but i never connected easily from PTCL…dont know the reason.

SMS4NET is great addition in Dial-up circle.

[/quote]

Its not a new addition… Its available on warid for years…Was a couple of years back…I don’t know the name but the service was exactly same…Buying WOL hours(old days) on sms…

Well i seem to smash all your data amounts from a dial up connection! I'm with dodo dial-up and i rip music with staionripper in realtime at 32k,.aac and 24k,.aac. I'm amazed how good the music sounds for such low quality. i usually get gigabytes of tunes and also listen to the dj sets and mixes as i'm ripping them! :>

di.fm, etn.fm, and sense.fm usually play some of the best dial up beatz just to name a couple. But good news for me now with the release of dodo prepaid wireless broadband, i can afford to get a 3.6mbps connection and can get super high quality mixes and sets with just a simple click.